Gen Season meat bulls...

BLooDTRaCKeR

Very Active Member
Just got back from the utah general season elk hunt. This was by far the most memorable hunt I have been on. Never seen so many elk in 5 days of hunting as I did this trip. Again, it was just dad and I. We usually hunt until one of us fills our tag and then call it a hunt but this year was different. I figured since the hunt was pushed back a week I wouldn't see any rutting behavior. Boy was I wrong!! I arrived at camp Sunday night, missed the opening weekend because of work. Dad was already up there and gave me a negative report about the first two days of hunting. Bad weather killed the opener. On tuesday, the weather cleared and warmed up. Perfect weather for an afternoon nap. Caught dad doing what he does best.
8132010_elk_hunt_001.jpg

During the middle of the day, there isn't a whole lot to do when your waiting for those last few minutes of light (prime time for elk movement) So, like a couple of kids, we built a fort.
67712010_elk_hunt_003.jpg

On wednesday night, I got a shot at a 6 point and missed, dad was over in the area we dubbed the "cheese hole" because of all the elk we see there in the evening. At 6:45 pm out walked a rag horn and the rest is history. (not fun moving that elk from that spot to clean it because it was on a hill).
99022010_elk_hunt_004.jpg

One happy 63 year old!
24352010_elk_hunt_005.jpg

got it to the trusty old red neck contraption that has saved our butts over the years.
93912010_elk_hunt_007.jpg

Dad headed out Friday morning to take his meat to the locker. I stayed to see if I could fill my tag. Friday morning I stumbled across this guy at 7:40 am.
64272010_elk_hunt_009.jpg

38912010_elk_hunt_010.jpg

74112010_elk_hunt_011.jpg

I jumped him out of his bed, he was looking directly into the sun trying to see me which is what gave me the advantage to shoot. I was only 80 yards. I put one in his shoulder with the 300 ultra mag. He dropped but got right back up. So I let him have a second. Here is the shot placement.
63382010_elk_hunt_013.jpg

Those are the entrance holes.
I packed the elk out by myself for the rest of the day Friday and finally had it all in the truck by 6:00 pm.
31972010_elk_hunt_017.jpg

15972010_elk_hunt_018.jpg

I saw over 3 dozen elk, 7 were bulls (counting the two we got) I passed on two spikes, they were still in the velvet, didn't have the heart to shoot one of those little guys. The elk were going nuts Wednesday night. I found myself in the middle of 3 screaming bulls with cows mewing everywhere. That is when I got the shot at the 6 point but missed. Hopefully this gives someof you discouraged fellow hunters hope for your public land tag. Be consistant with one area and you will find them.

Sweet set-up! Congrats on those fine Utah bulls.
Yak

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Outstanding job on what is a HARD hunt. You guys did really well.
Looks like you had a lot of fun.
Not much compares to hunting with Dad.

Good job you guys.

You & your father, general area, mid-week, and both getting bulls. Great memories and great job.

P.S.

Forgot to say......Thats quite a mountain bike trailer rig you've built. Until now if I'd have seen that thing in the back of a truck going down the freeway it would have gotten a pretty good chuckle out of me. But the proofs in your photos.....There have been times in the past, (and I hope many more in the future) that I would have paid you good money to rent that contraption :) Thanks for posting your hunt.

RE: P.S.

If you ever see me out there with this contraption, your welcome to it if you need it. That goes for anyone else too. We always offer it to anyone else in the area to use if they need to haul one out. I figure if it breaks, then I can improve upon that for the next year. So far we haven't been able to break it. LOL.

Man! now i think the bike is way cooler then the elk. I have never seen anything like that and yet so easy to make one. Sweet thank you for showing LOL

Thats cool. I have been planning on building something like that for a couple years, same general idea, just with brakes added to the trailer.

Congrats on the bulls. I saw you guys up there last year with your contraption and looked like it worked pretty good. Looks like you guys did better than us this year. It seemed like there was a lot more elk in the area this year. We had opportunities but couldnt make it happen. Congrats again.

You guys make me so jealous. 19% of general season hunters are successful that means you put 8 hunters out of their elk. I hope you guys feel good about yourselves. ;)

On another note being able to read your story sure does get me excited for next year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom