General Elk Tag... Archery

NebrCatMan

Here goes a few questions I hope I'll get some input back . I am going to apply for a general elk tag along with either my son or a good buddy. We have no points but intend to buy one this fall. We will do the party application.... either we all draw or no ones draws, right? My question is if we draw and get a general tag I am sure then we can buy a archery tag to hunt with but the areas we could hunt are not set yet by the game and fish, correct? In the past has it pretty much been the same areas you can hunt with a general tag gun? Or do they really cut back on the areas you can hunt with a general tag archery? When are the areas set for archery? We probably will head for those areas up in the NW part of WY. that are not wilderness (although I have a good buddy who is a resident of WY who could goes with us as a resident guide, get us into wilderness). First have to draw the tag, then if we are lucky have to decide if I want to deal with the bears again or elk depleted wolf kill areas. Any comments? Thanks!!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-14 AT 07:57AM (MST)[p]Yes, if you go in as a party you'll either all draw tags or not. Just buy the PP for each of you when you apply for the draw, as it's an available option to check off and add onto your credit card. In lieu of that, you can buy a PP between 7/1 and 9/30 during the open PP application period. The archery dates are set late in the Spring and are in the Final Regulations along with all the other seasons and are usually pretty much unchanged from year to year. You can find them for all the units open for last year by clicking on the link below and scrolling way down to page 7-19 for the Special Archery Seasons.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/imgs/QRDocs/REGULATIONS_CH7.pdf

With 0 points, if you want to guarantee a GEN tag, you'll have to apply in the "special" draw.

If you plan to hunt strictly bow in the NW corner, take a look at some of the type 9 tags up there. Some of these will likely be available as leftovers after the regular draw if you still decide to go for the GEN tag and don't draw. Or you could put in for the type 9 as second choice.

Lots of options in Wyo for the NR.

Thanks a whole bunch guys. Topgun, I checked that link you posted and it seems like in the past most all general areas are opened to general archery. I hunted in 81 before but the bears (namely ONE bear) sure did not like our bivouc camp. Wolves seemed to have the elk numbers down also. That said we should have no problem in finding a place to try to find elk with our bows if we can get a general tag. We do not want to put in for the high dollar tag even if it is guarenteed (?), as if we are unlucky in the draw there is always OTC tags in Colo. and the Nebraska drawing is way later too. Just want to get in the Rockies somewhere, make camp, hunt and hike and enjoy 10 days or so. Make some new friends and hear a few bugles. Hopefully come home with some meat but that would be a bonus. Is the rut usually going on during the bow season ( Sept). The bulls in Colo. sure seem like they don't bugle as much as they used to I am told. Same thing in WY?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-14 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]They're in some phase of the rut most of September. Last year the rut was late where we hunt in the BigHorns and they were still bugling and breeding all the way into the second week of October. Friends took a 5x5, a 6x7, and a cow during the October rifle hunt and another cow in early November.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom