general elk

N

nwhunter

I am a nonres and have three elk points .. I want to draw a general elk tag this year. Looks like its all but a guarantee in regular draw if I put in alone.. COuld I draw with a buddy who has no points if we apply in the special draw with my three points ..? Cost alot more but he will pay the difference and I would rather not hunt alone..
THanks

Well, the numbers show in 2018 one point was 97% odds, and less than two points was 100%.

So if things stay the same I'd say your odds of drawing in the special with a 1.5 point average would be pretty good. But not 100% guaranteed.

But your odds with 3 points in the regular also may not be 100%.

Any chance he would put in for a reduced price cow tag if any are available for the areas you're looking at?

Probly not interested in cow tag we like to eat those horns..:) Thanks for the input..

I think if I were you I would seriously consider just buying another point for yourself, and getting your friend to get a point this upcoming year.
Then apply in 2020 instead of 2019.
Use the extra year to save money and vacation to possibly plan a good three week minimum hunt.
Or , buy elk points, and try a draw on deer tags in the area you want to elk hunt. Then hunt deer in 2019, while scouting for elk hunt in 2020.
Then you won't need to apply in the special and get two hunts with the savings.

I will never hunt for elk again in a unit I have no ground experience hunting during the time of year I will hunt elk. A deer hunt is an easy way to get good time in an area.

Just out of curiosity are you primarily going to archery hunt or rifle or both? And how experienced are you at hunting elk? My friends and I drew tags in a grizzly infested area of Wyoming with two points average and killed two of three and should have went three for three. Spent 10 days hunting and didn't see an elk for 3 and a half days. You can't learn an area without going. I would probably say go for it the odds are very good you'll draw, pick an area and research it heavy and then hunt fast until you find them then slow down to kill one.

I elk hunt a bunch and guide a few hunts every year.. Archery hunting is what I enjoy and I plan to hunt mid Sept... May also try and get a deer tag and combo with the elk tag..I have a buddy that is going to help me out on where to go just have to decide what my options are with the points I have.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-18 AT 10:14AM (MST)[p]Sounds like you might want to go to the G+F website for Wyoming, and look at the preference point "draw results" for elk.
Archery tags are easier to draw in some units, but not all units in Wyoming let you draw an archery tag and then let you also come and hunt with a rifle also.
Those units that do, many times are a little tougher to get with the few points you have.
But, if you are looking at an archery only type-9 tag, several units may work for you.
Money may not be a limiting factor for you or your freind , but paying for the special draw would be a serious problem for a poor boy like myself.

>Buddy and I did not draw
>in 2018 with 3 points
>each non resident general tag.
>

The stats show that in the 2018 Regular PP Draw everyone who put in for the General tag as first choice with less than 3 PPs drew the tag while 2 PPs was only 58.43%. In the Special Draw 1 PP was 97%. Therefore, there are a couple reasons you didn't draw the tag. One is if you didn't put it down as your first choice and the other would be that you didn't have 3 PPs going into the draw. Did you put it down as your first choice or did you only have 2 PPs and then buy a PP on your 2018 application? If the latter is the case you didn't have 3 PPs and only went into the draw with 2 PPs, as the PP you bought would not be available for the draw until 2019.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom