General season Desolation 50

overkill

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-08 AT 01:03AM (MST)[p]I was thining about applying for this unit. What kind of bull could one expect to see (with a bit of luck) if they were to get in 4-5 miles beyond the roads? Your input is appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-08 AT 10:07AM (MST)[p]That unit has quite a few first season tags and over the counter second season spike only tags so that about sums it up. anything could happen but I wouldn't call it a trophy hunt by any means, the draw odds tell it all.

Great elk country, awful managment. hunters I talked with in both Desolation and Sumpter units said they felt elk numbers are down, lions are what most of us figure are the problem so don't look for it to get better.

Its also tough to find a spot that is 4-5 miles away from some kind of road.

I used to guide in there. Go into China Meadows area in the North Fork of John Day Wilderness. Its about 4 miles in from the trailhead. Nice camp spot at the west side of the meadow.

>Its also tough to find a
>spot that is 4-5 miles
>away from some kind of
>road.

This is true of the southern wilderness area but the northern wilderness area you should be able to get that far and farther as there is really only on access road. As far as elk go there are not as many as there once was. I hunted 7 days there this year and only saw 3 cows. I did see a herd of 50-60 in a unit that was north of there though. Unfortunately my tag said unit 50.

Back
Top Bottom