Genetics for Uintahs - South Slope

BridgerLake

Trying to get my expectations set for the open bull area in the Uintahs. For those who have hunted those areas, could you tell me what caliber of bulls are on that unit? What type of genetics do the bulls have...length of fronts, backs, main beams and thickness. I understand that it's an open bull unit so many bulls don't reach their full potential. Are there 350-370 bulls that get killed on that unit? I'm hoping with sufficient scouting, a lot of hard work and a little luck I can get my son onto a 330 bull...he has the youth elk tag so we'll be hunting during the rut. Any information is appreciated. Please help me set my expectations.

i have seen some nice bulls where i hunt on the south slope. But never a 330 class bull. im sure there are a few around. If it was my son with the tag I wouldnt set my expectations for a 300 class bull. I think if you were to find a nice 5 or 6 i wouldnt be worried about inches. and be more worried about killing it.
Im sure there are some big ones on private or the indian rez. maybe you'll get lucky

Don't be to picky, they elk on that unit are hard enought to find let alone find a big one. Just like dryboot said there could be some on the privat or res. but on the public ground if you see a nice 5 or 6 you beter start shooting you may not see another durning the hunt.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

I agree with the above comments. I've hunted the Uintahs a lot, and anything bigger than a raghorn is a trophy for that area. A 6x6 is a shooter for sure.

You should be able to have great hunt, if your not counting inches!

THE SOUTH SLOPE IS PISSCUTTER HAVEN FOR THE MOST PART!!!

THEIR ARE A FEW BIG BOYS!!!

EVERY YEAR SOMEBODY PULLS OFF A MIRACLE!!!

SAD PART IS THAT IT COULD BE AS GOOD AS ANY UNIT IN THE STATE WITH SOME PROPER MANAGEMENT!!!

GENETICS SUCK FOR THE MOST PART WITH A FEW EXCEPTIONS!!!

330" MIGHT BE WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR BUT I DON'T THINK I'D TURN A 320" BULL DOWN UNLESS YOU'RE LIKE ME,UNLESS HE'S 340"+ BULL I AIN'T GETTIN TOO EXCITED!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

I did 30 miles on mules into the Uintah's one year with a bunch of friends.We were in some of the best elk country I have ever seen. We split up the day before the opener and went 4 different directions. We glassed until our eyeballs hurt and never turned up one elk. That place should..... and could hold 3 times the elk that it does. I'd much prefer hunting CO over the Uintah's. I'd hammer the first branch antlered bull you see.Oh, and if you are near any lakes take a fishing pole because that might be all you catch.

We have horses and are planning to use them. I've got a few areas in mind but want to do some late summer scouting before I make a final decision. The reports I see on this thread aren't too encouraging. What is the highest quality open bull area in Utah?

I would agree with the above, If I know someone who had that tag I would tell them to shoot any big 5 point, and hope for a 300 class bull (about as good as you could expect). As for the best open bull area I dont think their is anything better than the south slope, if so not by much, from what I know most of them are sad.

With the uintahs don't expect anything huge, however there are some nice bulls in the area I have seen. I would definitely be putting down a 5 or 6 point though. Remember, satellite bulls produce some great meat!!! Good luck this september

I agree with everyone else, shoot the first nice bull you see. My son had the same tag a few years ago and killed a nice 5X6. We hunted really hard and the weather helped us.You may go a few days without seeing elk and then find a pocket of them.Because of the dense areas you will find elk in your kid needs to practice getting his rifle ready quickly. Lots of dry firing.

Hey bridger these guys have brought up alot of good points. I have hunted the south slope for the past nine years. It is a very difficult hunt and it will try you mentally and physically. I have seen some really good bulls out there but i would never pass up a nice five or small six waiting on the one or two good ones i see a year. It should be fun and a great experience for you and your boy.

I would agree with all that has been said, but the youth hunt gives you a chance at chasing the elk before the sea of orange hits the hills so you will have a decent opportunity. Post pics when you get one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom