Get ready Co… Cat hunting will be on the chopping block in 2024

HntHrdr

Very Active Member
Denver Post printed the first of many hit jobs. Claiming Lion hunting is just trophy hunting and running with hounds is immoral… yet another nail in the coffin

God I hope not, there are a pile of them. I’ve seen 3 road kill in the last 2 years….. if your seeing that many hit on the road it writes a book.

I have game cams set up year-round in the foothills of the Front Range. If all the city-slickers only knew how many lions roam the foothills near homes and trails right now when they are hunted they may think twice about how many more lions would roam the hills if lion hunts are eliminated. The lions would likely be similar to coyotes that often have no fear of dogs or humans. They could care less about jumping into someone's backyard and making minced meat of their pooches.

Similarly, it's a shame that spring bear hunts were eliminated. Hungry bears coming out of hibernation have little fear of humans. Problem bears often have 2 or 3 strikes and are shot by game officials rather than hunters.

Seems like I have said to myself "That is not a good idea" the last 3/4 years more than I have the rest of my life when it comes to Govt decisions in general. This and the transplant of wolves are way up there on the bad idea list.

The story…

Advocates to ban mountain lion hunting in Colorado filed a notice to put on next year’s ballot a measure that would outlaw mountain lion and bobcat hunting in the state.

The ballot proposal, which was filed yesterday, requires backers to gather signatures in order to qualify for next year’s general election. It has been filed under the title “Prohibit Trophy Hunting.” The draft was accepted by the state’s legislative council staff at about noon on Friday. Draft language indicates that the ballot measure will declare that “any trophy hunting of mountain lions, bobcats, or lynx is inhumane, serves no socially acceptable or ecologically beneficial purpose, and fails to further public safety.”

Backers further note in the draft that “trophy hunting is practiced primarily for the display of an animal’s head, fur, or other body parts, rather than the utilization of the meat.”

Colorado’s big-game regulations require mountain lion hunters to utilize meat from harvested lions. Regulations further allow for the use of hounds to both pursue lions.

The proposed ballot initiative would ban hound hunting for lions and bobcats. The draft language states that lion hunting is “almost always conducted by unsporting means, including, but not limited to, using packs of dogs with electronic devices to pursue and entrap affected animals in places from which they cannot escape in order to achieve the kill”.

In the 2023-24 season, Colorado’s Parks and Wildlife division authorized about 500 lion tags for seasons that run from the end of November through the end of March and again for the month of April in some hunting units. The state estimates the lion population of Colorado between 3,000 and 7,000 animals.

The notice to run a ballot initiative to ban mountain lion hunting has been widely anticipated in Colorado, and follows the appointments this summer of three “animal welfare” advocates to the state’s Wildlife and Parks Commission. Sportsmen’s groups expect another ballot initiative to ban all furbearer trapping in the state.

“I think what we’re seeing is the proverbial death by a thousand cuts,” said one Colorado hunting advocate who asked to speak off the record. “Mountain lion hunting is an easy target. There aren’t that many lion hunters, relatively speaking, and it’s easy to dismiss the activity as somehow out of the mainstream. But it’s an activity that’s heavily regulated. Quotas are conservatively managed, and we have a long history of successfully managing the species. I think opponents have to explain how a ban might affect depredating lions, especially in human communities.”
Once the Colorado Secretary of State approves the petition form, petitions may be circulated throughout the state to obtain the required number of signatures, which in 2024 is 124,238 qualified signatures.
You can read the entire text of the mountain lion hunting ban here.
Andrew McKean

Andrew McKean
Andrew McKean is Outdoor Life’s hunting and conservation editor, drilling into issues that affect wildlife, wildlands, and the people who care about them. He’s also OL’s optics editor, helping readers to make informed buying decisions.

PREDATOR HUNTING
WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT

? bad idea after bad idea… what about the deer… unchecked lion populations with unchecked wolves. They will eat themselves out of house and home…

The same thing actually happened to bears, baiting, and dogs. Now there are significantly worse bear problems in just about every foothills and mountain town community.

Do a web search and you'll find lots of gory mtn lion attack episodes. It's bound to become even more common and worse if cats aren't hunted and spooked by hunters. No hunting = no fear of humans!

I have game cams set up year-round in the foothills of the Front Range. If all the city-slickers only knew how many lions roam the foothills near homes and trails right now when they are hunted they may think twice about how many more lions would roam the hills if lion hunts are eliminated. The lions would likely be similar to coyotes that often have no fear of dogs or humans. They could care less about jumping into someone's backyard and making minced meat of their pooches.

Similarly, it's a shame that spring bear hunts were eliminated. Hungry bears coming out of hibernation have little fear of humans. Problem bears often have 2 or 3 strikes and are shot by game officials rather than hunters.
I've experienced the same on the Front Range. Found a black lab this spring with nothing left but the palate and eye sockets.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom