Gettiing Started

Nimrod

I've been inspired by a few hunting shows and videos to give predator hunting a try. Lately any excuse to be in the woods and I'm all over it. I've tried calling about 10 times now and I've only turned up one coyote and it was in a place I thought highly unlikely to see anything. Today I went and and set up 5 times and didn't hear or see a thing. I have an electronic call that looks like a mini-mega phone that your P.E. teacher used to yell at everybody with. Is there a trick to finding them? Do you try howling before light? How important is water? What is the most important thing to consider... wind? terrain? rabbits? what's the best mouth call?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-09 AT 02:48PM (MST)[p]Nimrod, sounds like you might be doing something wrong...or is there just a coyote shortage in your area? JK best to start off scouting dirt & 2 track roads for fresh scat and tracks, Alpha males use these as highways and boundary markers by taking a dump on them every so often. wind ? always in your face just like any other hunting but if it's over 15-20 miles an hour stay home.
Yotes don't respond well in high winds. Terrain, all types are good, brushy or areas with trees are a must for a shotgun. most of all is SCENT SCENT SCENT and full camo, facenet etc.WASH YOUR CALLING CLOTHES SEPERATELY AND USE A SCENT ELIMINATOR.

your style of calling and caller will also affect your success. any other questions i'd be glad to help.

Hunting is Life...everything else is
just details.
4af88d6a70c522fd.jpg

You maybe calling too loud. Start off pretty soft for about 10-15 seconds. wait a minute or so and call again. Progress on a little louder with 3 minute intervals or so. When you have one coming dont call when he is stopped looking he will peg you. Call a little 4-5 seconds quietly when he is coming to you. This will amp him up a little and come not knowing the exact location of the sound. Set up so your best vantage is down wind. A coyotes nose is his best defense. He/she will always circle downwind to find out the smell of what is "crying" before it moves in. Most people blow the dogs out of the area first few calls. Make sure you ease into your calling. Their ears are extremely well adapted to soft sounds, you will be surprised by how quietly you can call and get a response. +1 on the scouting for tracks and scat. Also sneak into your area, dont slam pickup doors and look a head for dogs moving around in your area you are going to make a set in. I hope this helps and good luck!!!

A little added extra is put yourself in a coyotes shoes. They are very wary creatures and if you heard a loud screeching sound in your domain you would be very leery to go check it out. Quietly breaking the silence is your best bet! post pics of your next session with a few dead yotes!!!

I used to be pretty technical about my calling... cover scents, starting out soft...calling for 30 seconds and resting for 1 minute, etc... I realized that it was pretty silly to say the least.
First most important thing is calling an area that holds coyotes. Sounds funny but if there aren't coyotes there they won't hear your calling and they won't respond.
Second, BE QUIET!! Don't slam your truck door and yell at your calling partner to turn down the radio...
Third, keep movement to a minimum when calling. Coyotes eyes are very good at catching movement.
Wind direction is also a good thing to watch. Just know where the wind is blowing and make sure you can see downwind because they usually circle downwind.
Last, just get out and put some miles on your truck. You won't find any good spots if you keep going to the same area.
One last pointer as far as what sounds to use. I'd stick with the tried and true distress sounds. Try to imagine what a rabbit would sound like being torn apart by another coyote or hawk... Are they going to start out quiet or are they going to scream like the dickens?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom