Getting in shape for Colorado

TyThur111386

So after hunting az coues most of my life I'm no rookie to rough terrain. For my whole life I've always said i can climb anywhere it just takes me a little longer than others. Well at the beginning of march I finally decided that im sick of not getting to the top as fast as my hunting buddies and just sort of being the weak link. So I decided to get a membership and start making a change. Its been going on 4 months now and I'm down 30lbs and have made great progress in my endurance and strength. Well today i just got notified that i drew a Colorado deer tag and am stoked. But i was wondering if anyone around has any pointers to try and help continue preparing me for the rest of hopefully a long lasting hunting career. On a good note im pretty sure i will be lighter with my pack on this year than i was without last year. Thanks

Remain Anxious and Hold on to that Loving Feeling.

How old are you....?

What area of Colorado might you be Hunting...?

Why so few Post's (get more involved and in time, folks may know you).

Do your Topical Land research which is easy with endless computer technologies. Including GPS Map's showing you Private lands.

Ask this website owner for help.

How many day's can you be in the Hills you wish to Hunt before and/or during the season.

How much money are you able to spend to have a guide, Horses + a Drop Camp or in general (Yes, a Blunt question).

Jagerdad :)

PS: Its ok to Post Pictures of your prior Hunts. Most here can not READ unless there R Pictures attached :)

I'm gonna guess Ty
Thur will be 33 on Nov 13.

Good on you for dropping some pounds. I did that once too.

All I can say is if Ida known I was gonna live this long, Ida taken better care of myself.

Yep im 32 i haven't been too vocal on most of these forums because i have typically only hunted my home state of Arizona and basically do most of my interaction on Facebook. We drew the second rifle tag for mule deer in unit 74 and hope to buy the otc elk tag too. Since i live in a az i have been limited to google earth/onX scouting so it helps a little but never really know what your in for until you are there. We plan on getting there on Thursday night and probably waiting until Friday morning to set up camp. With that we are hoping to spend most of Friday hiking around preparing for opening day Saturday. Then we will be in the Unit for the entire hunt. We will have to do this entire hunt DIY because of limited funds and i prefer to learn from my own mistakes. That being said i do know that having to pack our own meat out will limit our distance from roads. I have packed elk out 4 miles before in the White Mountains and don't really think it is smart to go any further than that depending on temperature and terrain. Most of the stuff i have seen in that area looks pretty steep we might have to lessen our distances. Do you guys know the typical degrees of incline on these mountains i should be expecting.

>So after hunting az coues most
>of my life I'm no
>rookie to rough terrain. For
>my whole life I've always
>said i can climb anywhere
>it just takes me a
>little longer than others. Well
>at the beginning of march
>I finally decided that im
>sick of not getting to
>the top as fast as
>my hunting buddies and just
>sort of being the weak
>link. So I decided to
>get a membership and start
>making a change. Its been
>going on 4 months now
>and I'm down 30lbs and
>have made great progress in
>my endurance and strength. Well
>today i just got notified
>that i drew a Colorado
>deer tag and am stoked.
>But i was wondering if
>anyone around has any pointers
>to try and help continue
>preparing me for the rest
>of hopefully a long lasting
>hunting career. On a good
>note im pretty sure i
>will be lighter with my
>pack on this year than
>i was without last year.
>Thanks

Your doing great, keep it up.
The older you get your ability to climb anywhere without preparation or training deteriorates quickly. THAT is your motivation to stay in shape year round. I'm not much further ahead of you in age, but I have felt the small effects. It's easier and better to stay fit year round, then ramp it up spring and summer for fall.

Definitely thanks for the encouragement. But im pretty sure i have gotten the bug so i don't plan on stopping anytime soon. It's definitely one of the things i look forward to everyday.

Change your diet, it will help immensely.

Cut out white sugar. Reduce all, including natural forms, of sugar. Eliminate soda. Reduce coffee intake.

Reduce or eliminate fried and trans fat foods. Chips, etc.

Eat a ton of veggies! And Protein. I do eat grains for carb energy.

Reduce alcohol.

These steps require a lifestyle change but they are worth it. Dont waste the hard work u do exercising by putting junk into your body!

I do all organic too. The sticker shock is tough at first but i think its worth it!

Good luck! Hunt hard, thats the one thing u need to do better than everyone else. U know the big ones are out there. Be in shape to find em where they are at!

I too come AZ....still pretty much the same distance from the Colorado as now...about a mile.

Your country is every bit as rough as what CO has.

But, depending on where you are from, the altitude is a factor. 6k is not the same as 8k, or higher, as you already know, from hunting the White Mountains.

If you are walking, work out w.weight on ur back.

Start doing ur leg.work...call the CPW and talk to the DWM, googlearth, do a search on this website and see what sort of stupid questions have been asked before.

Come up for a 3 day weekend.

Get BLM and USFS maps.

John 14:6

I also need to do this.
Just retired in Aug. of last year.
Can't wait to be able to get into the mountains in Colorado waiting for the snow and mud to be gone.

Yeah definitely my wife's bday was yesterday and that was the first meal with carbs I've had in like 6 weeks. Its crazy how your pallet changes. I ate a small DQ blizzard and couldn't finish it because of how sweet it was. I guess when you don't have any sugar for a while it becomes twice as sweet.

Being in shape and staying in shape is a lifestyle change. Good on you for dropping some lbs. Remember nothing taste as good as being in shape feels. What you put in your mouth is a huge part of controlling your weight! Gym shape and mountain shape are two different things. Throw your pack on and hike, shed hunting/bear/turkey hunting keeps me in decent mountain shape along with a regimented gym program. Slow down on your reps, pump blood into the muscles you are working that day. Get a good multivitamin and eat a lot of rice and chicken and my weakness drink a lot of water! Good luck this fall!

Yeah i still have a long way to go. At my heaviest i was 300lbs. Now I'm at 265 so at least i should be lighter with my pack this year than i was without last year. And still have a few months to hopefully loose more. I was always the guy who made excuses and never really cared but finally i got a wild hair up my ass and decided i want to be the guy that waits on others while climbing mountains not the guy everyone is waiting on. So I decided no better time than the present. Other than hunting as my main motivation i also am a real cheapass when it comes to anything other than hunting related stuff and figured if i do pay for a gym membership ill be damed if i am not going to go and get my money?s worth. Another thing that got me thinking was i was listening to the meateater podcast and the old Latvian eagle said everyone try's and counts ounces in their pack trying to make it lighter but doesn't think about loosing pounds off their gut. I just figured I'm carrying four extra useless hunting packs.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-19 AT 04:36PM (MST)[p]we just want to be able to make it up the mountain...oh and back to camp too..That is the motivation. I am 70 and trying a workout called SWAT TEAM Workout by Navy Seal Stewart Smith.Good luck and good hunting hth

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-19
>AT 04:36?PM (MST)

>
>we just want to be able
>to make it up the
>mountain...oh and back to camp
>too..That is the motivation. I
>am 70 and trying a
>workout called SWAT TEAM Workout
>by Navy Seal Stewart Smith.Good
>luck and good hunting hth
>

Stew knows his stuff. Not just because he was a SEAL, but moreso because he has taken the time to be certified by a reputable organization, the National Strength and Conditioning Association.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom