Giants--Hot Stove

larrbo

Very Active Member
Well we signed Timmy to a 2 year 35 million dollar contract next year. I think they almost had to sign him with Zito moving on and a real question mark on Vogelsong.

REALLY I mean REALLY 20 and 29 the last 2 years and 35 million. REAllY.he got 49 mil. for coming of a 2 years Cy Young years.REALLY.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-13 AT 10:34AM (MST)[p]I wish the Giants had offered him less, a qualifying offer, and him either signing it or go shopping. Had another team signed him, we at least would have been compensated with a high draft choice or player. As it is, aside from 3-4 other high name pitchers out there, this free agency class has few quality pitchers to pick from. So, we paid a bit much maybe but glad to have him back to go along with Cain and Mad Bum.

Tim's record these past couple years is skewed by the fact that the Giants have scored like two runs a game for him. His record by rights should be much better. Yes, all is not good but few out there can strike out dudes at will like Timmy can and that don't come cheap. Really!

I heard a rumor that Kershaw might be headed for T.J. surgery. Wouldn't that be too bad...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I think another factor in giving him the qualifying offer was that the favorite to sign Timmy was Seattle. I heard somewhere that because their record was so bad that they wouldn't have to give up the draft pick to the Giant's.

I will defer to Sage and larrbo on the financial part of the deal, as I haven't paid that much attention. I tend to make decisions based more on emotions:)

In my mind, Timmy could be a bust or he could turn our team around next season. I think he has that capability. Physically, I think he's very solid. No history of injuries., a huge plus! We'll be able to hand him the ball every 5 days. He just needs to get motivated every start. In clutch situations, the kid is as tough as they come. I just think he needs to learn how to prepare mentally before a start. I know it's hard, especially when your bank account is bulging. He (and the entire team actually) needs to understand that every game counts big time. That mind set flows from the pitching to the defense, to the offense, and they can feed off of each other. That's what separates champions from also rans. Being World Champions is hard. It's supposed to be hard.

I know these things because I'm an expert now (after 50 years waiting:))

We got him now. Let's win with him! Come on Timmy, you can do this!

6223.facebook_812219453.jpg

Eel

Who do you want to see in Left Field next year?

I think the answer to this question could be a big difference maker!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Who do you want to see
>in Left Field next year?
>
>
>I think the answer to this
>question could be a big
>difference maker!
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Somebody with a bat!!!!!!!!!

Left Field is a question mark, and so is 3rd base. In left, they have two options, either go sign or trade for a big hitting left fielder, or move Brandon Belt there. He has indicated a willingness to play left field, and defensively he's as good as most out there. Of course, at first base he's excellent defensively. So perhaps the question will be answered by whether they have more luck in bringing on a corner outfielder or first baseman.

As to 3rd, I have it on good authority (as in from someone associated with the organization) that they are very fed up with Sandoval's weight problems and not inclined to put up with another year of him resembling a Kodiak Bear more than a Panda. Don't be too surprised if they trade him, probably to an American League team. If they do, they have a couple options. Bring in a new 3rd baseman, or move Buster Posey out from behind the disk and put him at 3rd. Remember, he played shortstop in college (in addition to closing games on the mound), so he's very capable of playing a good defensive 3rd base. Or, they may trade Hector Sanchez for a 3rd baseman, as Sanchez is one of the most asked for players in trade talks.

Any way you slice it, 2014 is going to be an interesting season. After this year, I guess we can all pray that Angel Pagan stays healthy. Their record, with and without him, is markedly different.

that's sucks!!! another A's ACE who's not going to produce win's.. need a bat to protect Buster!!
So long Mr Belt(Giant second mistake if the trade him!).

San Francisco Giants re-sign reliever Javier Lopez to three-year 13 million dollar deal.

What, the guy pitches to one or two batters a game? :)

Lopez is a Key guy!!!

Joey

Seems everybody the Giants sign gets the Dodgers another western division championnship closer

>Seems everybody the Giants sign gets
>the Dodgers another western division
>championnship closer

Whatever......:)

Eel

"Whatever......:) "

Classic Steve!! LMAO

Joey

Whatever, Whatever, whatever!!!!+2

I want the Red Sox's outfielder. (Can't remember his name) Young, quick, with Pop (Just not in AT&T) So we have to give up our #1 pick this coming draft. Our last #1 outfield pick is languishing in the minors. Get a sure thing, sign him for 5-7 years, and win another WS, or 2. The Giants are swimming in money, spend some for your fans.

When I buy $150.00 tickets, drink $10.50 beers, I want to see them win, or at least be exciting.

Hopefully picking up Morse is good for the Giant's if he stays healthy. Go Giants.

PS--Pitchers and catchers, 2 months off

Kinda disappointed seeing the Rockies sign Morneau for basically the same money SF got Morse for. Yeah it's a 2 year deal but who is morse?

And really is Morse any better than Pill. That poor guy isn't ever going to get a chance. First thing I read about Morse is genoa a defensive liability. This is a long term Xavier nady

nitis, "From 2010-12 with the Washington Nationals, Morse averaged .296 with a .516 slugging percentage and totaled 64 homers. He especially thrived in 2011, hitting .303 with 31 homers and 95 RBIs. He reached the National League's top 10 in those categories, as well as slugging (fourth, .550) and extra-base hits (eighth, 67)"

the guy is like 6'5" 250, hits with power equally to all fields, came up as a shortstop which says something about his mobility, and is a true slugger. Fair enough, he may not be a great left fielder but we need the bat and if he stays healthy, had surgery to repair his injury last year, he could be a GREAT addition. We'll have to see.

As far as Pill goes, he's had tons of opportunity but has proven to have lots of trouble with the breaking ball. If we know that, guess what he gets up there at the plate?

Not saying this guy is the best option we had or even that he is a better option than what Colo got. He is though, if healthy better than running Torres and Blanco out there every day.

Joey

Well that sounds better than what I thought. It just sounded like a lot if money for a one year deal for someone who had a lot of question marks

As for Pill. Yes he has had a few opportunities but nothing consistent enough in my opinion to get a fair assessment. What's the longest stretch he has been given to play? He tore the cover off the ball for 4 games straight last year then never really saw the field after that. In order to get a fair assessment 10-12 games straight at the least would be needed.

One thing I hope to see this year is Bochy getting over his righty lefty match ups. These guys are pros let them play! Look what happened to Belt after they fixed his grip and turned him loose

One of my best friends is a coach for the Nationals. We were duck hunting this morning, and I asked him about Morse. He said that he's a beast with massive power. He thinks that if Morse stays healthy all year, that he could be a big addition for the Giants.

We all know what happens to right handed power hitters at ATT right?

It should be a good ride this year and who knows what will happen

I think the big question with Morse is staying healthy. I like the pickup because we got zero power from left field last year. Hopefully Panda will come back lean and mean playing for a contract and the Giant's will be back in the mix.

I don't see it as no power from left field but nothing from left or centerfield as a whole.

I have been saying if you need more power or production from left field move Pagan over there if it makes you feel better.

Also if Bochy will just let the guys play they will produce get Crawford out of the 8 spot and he is very productive. If he can stay out of the 8 spot he will have a great year

This lineup looks pretty good on paper: This is what I project as their stats...

1) CF Angel Pagan .287 12 HR 55 RBI
2) SS Brandon Crawford .270 11 HR 60 RBI
3) RF Hunter Pence .280 25 HR 95 RBI
4) C Buster Posey .317 22 HR 105 RBI
5) 3B Pablo Sandoval .290 17 HR 80 RBI
6) 1B Brandon Belt .280 18 HR 75 RBI
7) LF Michael Morse .265 20 HR 70 RBI
8) 2B Marco Scutaro .270 5 HR 50 RBI

Joey

I liked his attitude and his brand of humor. Good luck to him and I'm sure we will see him again at some point.

Eel

Giants trivia question as asked during a game 6/17/2077:

"What item of clothing helped propel the 2010 Giants into the post season and ultimately to their first World Series title since 1954?"

Eel

How long is it until Pitchers and Catchers report?

Joey

Reading your posts got me stoked for Spring Training but what about the 9er's run in the playoffs??

Just got a feeling this is the year. Tough, tough, tough. Doesn't seem they know any other way though, Green Bay, Carolina (#1 defense) and Seattle. You'll hear me in the Bay Area, from here, if they win and the Saints win too. A perfect farewell to Candlestick!!!

Sorry for side tracking the thread.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom