Gila Fire

Human caused, they are just watching it as it's in remote Wilderness area. Winds have died quite a bit this week. BLM and Forest Circus doing control burns around here too. Hoping for good monsoon season as it's very dry.

"Controlled Burn" = controlled buffoonism.

When I was logging we would drive by their burn areas on our way home, having to quit at 1:00 because of fire danger.

i believe that because it is in a wilderness they almost have to let it burn out. almost takes an act of congress to fly over the wilderness. and a fire that big almost impossible to fight by hand only.

>i believe that because it is
>in a wilderness they almost
>have to let it burn
>out. almost takes an act
>of congress to fly over
>the wilderness. and a fire
>that big almost impossible to
>fight by hand only.

You got that right rockn.It was at 27k this morning,they where evacuating the Hot Spings area,before the 60mph winds started today. Bad news.

As of yesterday, May 9th it was at 32,960 acres. Area around Cliff Dwellings and Gila Hot Springs area are being evacuated. Flying over the wilderness is not a problem, it is not closed air space. What makes fighting fire in the Wilderness is that there can be no motorized equipment used, so no chainsaws, etc I believe. And with the amount of wind we have been having sometimes doing air drops is not an option. The fire is being flow over everyday, thats the only way they can update the acreage. Reports from people who live up there is that it has crossed the river and getting close to alot of homes.
Jeff

My brother cuts trees for the FS during fire season.
Chainsaws in Wilderness all depends on how bad they want the tree on the ground.

You are right, use of motorized tools can be used on the Wilderness in emergency situations.

It is burning in 16B, and is by no means out. It has grown by over 14,000 acres since yesterday alone and has now crossed the Gila River.

Try this link for info....see if it works?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQoY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?ss=110306&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=STELPRDB5298964&navid=180000000000000&pnavid=null&position=News&ttype=detail&pname=Gila National Forest- News & Events

62,000 acres as of this evening, 20% contained. This one is going to burn til the monsoons start, we need rain bad. Most of NM is way behind and bone dry.

if you don't get rain soon it will be a huge part of that wilderness will be fire burnt, Praying for rain for NM

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I watched some video feed on this fire last night and though it is huge and not near under control,it doesn't look as though it is a raging / crowning fire. Bad winds again the next couple days, but maybe some rain and snow later this week.I hope so,as I have it as a draw choice.Plenty of time to green up if we get some moisture. I hope the predictions of a heavy monsoon season are close to correct.My place north of the Gila has tons of feed,but the critters keep draining my stock tank.

Got COLD weather out here hope it comes your way.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Let that M-F'er burn! we've got some wolves in that area that those friggin greenies love so much. I say stand back and light some more fires and burn that whole area! I just hope they burn some of those damn wolves!

Sorry to not be on the same page with you guys but if we can burn those wolves out of the wilderness the rest of the sportsmen that do the right thing can take care of those over grown flea bags in areas where its easier to see them.

Just my two cents!

73,019 acres today.

High winds expected today. Little cooler temperatures down here, yet with Relative Humidity in the single digits it really doesnt matter too much.

I believe it is doing a lot of good for that area. It is not all destruction and tooth picks left like on may imagine. Sure some areas are burning super hot but alot of "trash" is getting cleaned up in the process.

Its gonna be going for a long time.

Jeff

Gila National Forest ? Miller Fire Update ? May 20th (8:00 am) ? Partial Reopening of New Mexico Highway 15
Posted on May 20, 2011 by lbenavidez
Acres: 78,111 Start date: April 28, 2011

Cause: Human Location: 25 mi N of Silver City, NM

Containment: 40 percent

Fuels: Timber with grass understory

Terrain: Steep, rugged

Resources: 13 crews, 10 engines, 6 water tenders

Total personnel: 416

Available air support: 7 helicopters

FIRE UPDATE: Fire behavior remained minimal which allowed helicopters to insert crews in strategic locations around the fire. Cooler weather and higher humidity helped crews to construct fireline directly along the fires western flank. Considerable progress was made to the north building fireline along the existing trails north of the West Fork of the Gila. Firefighters are making excellent progress building containment lines while weather conditions are favorable.

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

>Let that M-F'er burn! we've got
>some wolves in that area
>that those friggin greenies love
>so much. I say stand
>back and light some more
>fires and burn that whole
>area! I just hope they
>burn some of those damn
>wolves!
>
>Sorry to not be on the
>same page with you guys
>but if we can burn
>those wolves out of the
>wilderness the rest of the
>sportsmen that do the right
>thing can take care of
>those over grown flea bags
>in areas where its easier
>to see them.
>
>Just my two cents!

I'm in.

Sign me up.

Redneck's with guns and coolers full of cold beer should be the only predators left alive in the Gila!

well... maybe a few black bears would be ok.

Smoke 'em out & kill 'em all Stinky!

Gila National Forest ? Miller Fire Update ? May 24 (8:30 am)
Posted on May 24, 2011 by jmyslivy
Acres: 83,129 Containment: 48 percent Total personnel: 471

Resources: 12 crews, 4 engines, 3 water tenders Available air support: 10 helicopters

burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn!

This fire is better than watching a beer chugging contest LOL!

>burn, burn, burn, burn, burn, burn,
>burn, burn, burn, burn, burn!
>
>
>This fire is better than watching
>a beer chugging contest LOL!
>

I'm hoping that this fire makes all the elk leave the wilderness and head North about 20 miles!!

A special thanks to the guys living on MRE's out there. Youve mad a big impression on my kids, and a friends home was spared.

Miller fire is at 88,000 acres = 137 sections

overview
[http://www.inciweb.org/incident/2207/]

maps of fire extent and fire-fighting plan...
[http://www.inciweb.org/incident/map/2207/]

My first stab at posting photos...lets see if it works.

Latest Map...
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWe...miller-fire/picts/pict-20110527-092601-0.jpeg

Air photo (credit Gila NF)
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWe...miller-fire/picts/pict-20110508-144446-1.jpeg

"After the fire moves through" (credit Gila NF)
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWe...miller-fire/picts/pict-20110512-125821-2.jpeg

"Fire moves down to the river" (credit Gila NF)
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ftp/InciWe...miller-fire/picts/pict-20110512-125821-4.jpeg

Man we need some moisture bad and at least its not a crown fire hopefully some of the vegetation will make it. Should be some good hunting in a few years. I hope they get this beast under control and mother nature gives us a break.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom