Gila Predictions

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
With some decent spring and early summer rain, I believe this could be an incredible year for monster bulls in the Gila. Some absolute giants made it through 2012 (thanks to me missing a shot at one of them) and I'm praying for rain to make 2013 another banner year. However, if we don't get rains we could be looking at a repeat of 2011...stunted antler growth and scarce elk. I'm a bit nervous at this point as my favorite spots are much too dry.

My buddies and I killed some nice bulls last year and had some opportunities at a couple of true giants. That said, I'm predicting that (with decent rains) a couple of giant bulls will be killed in 16C, 16B and 17. In fact, my money is on 16C and 17 to produce a couple of 400+ bulls. I'm hearing rumors of a couple giants in 13 and 15 as well...

My hunting brothers and I pulled a couple of killer tags this year and we can only hope for rain and a bit of luck. I haven't posted on here for quite some time, but I've been watching the incredible seasons many of you had in 2012 and absolutely cannot wait to see what is in store for this year. If you need a quick elk fix, you can check out a few photos from my 2012 elk season at the link below.

http://themeateater.com/2013/elk-camp-2012/

Congrats to those who pulled their dream tags,
Cody

http://themeateater.com/
www.streamflies.com

I saw 5 bulls during the second youth hunt for deer in 16c two were huge the other three were 2x3 but usually don't see bulls that time of year there .

The Gila will need alot more rain to recover.It is scorched earth in alot of places and didn't get half the usual snow. That said some spots are decent,and the elk are around.Hope for a good monsoon season here.

Yes it is pretty dry,I was around Demming area last year goat hunting and archery hunted deer this Jan.I saw a lot of tree's dying, not much you can do about the situation I have a tag and I will have to make the best of it.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom