Gila rainfall...updated

salsola

Rainfall totals from July 1 - July 11. Colored circles are 10 mile radius around each RAWS station. Towns are in italics, station names and rainfall totals in regular print. Unit boundaries in grey.

Again, data from here:
http://weather.nmsu.edu/climate/ws/network/raws/html/

gila_rainfall_map.jpg

Updating this for anyone who's interested. New map is total rainfall for the month of July. Luna got over 3" of rain in the second half of July!

gila_rain_end_of_July.jpg

bigjake: can't say for sure if this year is typical or not, but it seems kind of average based on the old data. take a look:

july precip at the Pelona Mt RAWS for...
2012 2.42"
2011 4.07"
2010 3.32"
2009 1.19"
2008 2.86"
2007 4.47"
2006 3.08"
2005 2.16"
2004 1.00"
2003 0.42"
2002 1.63"

The average for all those years is exactly 2.42". Weird.

ochoa: I don't know unit 10 well enough to know which weather stations are in that unit. But here's the data if you want to look them up: http://weather.nmsu.edu/climate/ws/network/raws/html/
Or, this is good too: http://www.raws.dri.edu/wraws/nmF.html

Great info-thanks. And how long do the monsoon rains usually last? Is it a summer time deal or does the rain linger into the fall?

Thanks for the updates man, this is the most important and relevant Gila thread of the year after the fire updates. Our monsoons can last through September. Oftentimes the Gila gets hammered during the archery hunts.

It's going to be good to see some big bulls come out of the Gila this year.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-12 AT 07:56PM (MST)[p]Reserve has been getting dumped on after being so dry.Can't get in to check 23 it's so wet near Luna and Reserve. Quemado got it today.Too bad its still spotty in my area,but my Blue Gramma is finally growing,it's a foot tall a couple miles away. Looks good for most of SW NM for this year. Thanks again for the RAWS link!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-12 AT 09:40AM (MST)[p]Here's the update. Rainfall totals are from July 1 to Aug 14. Looks like the northern end of the range has really started to catch the rain while the south half kind of stalled in August.
Slaughter Mesa caught 2.25" in the first two weeks of August. Crazy. The Mogollon RAWS hasn't been updating the data for the past 5 days, so the total may be a little higher there, but not by much.

Probably the last update on this. Good luck to everyone this season!!

gila_rain_aug14.jpg

Are there no RAWS stations in 16D? Do we just interpolate between the nearest RAWS reports. I'd like to know how much moisture we've had in that unit.

surefire:
The Reserve RAWS is on the edge of 16D, I think. From July 1 to the present they had about 5.4" of rain. The Luna station is next closest and is over 7" for the same time period. Seems like the trend in the Gila has been North and East is wettest, South and West is driest.

My unit 50 hunt has had 2" in the same time frame. Guess it makes finding them easier.

good luck on your hunt.

Had a few requests and my own curiosity got to me. Here's the rainfall from July 1 - Sept 5. Unit 15 has really gotten some big rains. Over the summer Luna and Slaughter Mesa have gone from nearly the driest, to about the wettest.

gila_rain_sep5.jpg

good luck to all...

That much rain should jump start the grass.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom