Gila Rifle Elk Predictions

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
Gila rifle elk hunters are going to have a hell of a year come October. The drought, followed by extreme monsoons lasting into the start of the second archery hunt made for some tough archery hunts. Despite an overabundance of water the first 5 days of our hunt, many mudholes and small tanks dried up as the temperatures rose and the things dried out. The result being cows seeking water the minute shooting light expired. The elk really started talking during the last 5 days of my hunt (2nd archery), but I was still seeing mature bulls without any cows just starting to take interest in bugling. Lots of bachelor groups of young bulls running around and the big bulls with cows had zero satellites. We did not hear a cow actually make a sound until the last day of the season and the bulls were disinterested in any of our calling. Despite some great stalks on bugling bulls, we were unable to put an arrow into any of the bigger bulls we chased. I talked to quite a few unsucessful archery hunters in many Gila units and the bulls I did see in camps were small. Everyone I spoke with had seen numerous good bulls, but I only know of two giants taken out of the Gila in September. Many of the bulls we hunted and were around had weak, drought back-ends. That said, a couple of the more mature bulls we chased seemed to have normal looking growth and had tremendous whale tails.

I'm thinking there may be a few more late estrus cows around in October than usual and that the bulls will still be talking fairly well during the rifle hunts. Considering that there were not many elk harvested (that I observed or know of) by archery hunters, I think those of you with rifle or muzzy tags are going to have some great hunts.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Cody

www.streamflies.com

Love your predictions!!!Would love to hear how some of the first muz hunts went last year.My wife and dad drew this year and they need some stories of years past.I want this hunt to be a hunt of a lifetime for them.

I hope your right...I have a second rifle tag for the wilderness. Just excited to get out of the house.

I hope you are right. I can't focus on anything but my upcoming 15 ml hunt in a couple weeks. I'll have four days to scout prior to the hunt so I'm hoping that gives me a chance to see what the average bull looks like, set my goal and find a bull that I want to pursue opening morning.

As for unit 15, has anyone noticed if the willow fire pushed more elk into the area? Does anyone have good recommendations for camping with a wall tent? preferrably away from crowd and near water.

I have the first muzzy hunt in 15 as well. Was out there last weekend and saw some nice bulls. As for the fire, I don't think it really matters in that unit. Archery hunters had a rough one and I tip my hat to those who hunted hard. Hopefully October will pan out for everyone with tags....good lu

I HOPE SO ME MY BROTHER AND NEPHEW HAVE TAGS FOR THE FIRST MUZZLE IN 15 JUST GOT BACK FROM AN ORYX HUNT GOT 1 OUT OF 2 WAS A LOT TOUGHER THAN THE OTHER TIMES IVE BEEN THERE STALLION. I CANT WAIT GOING TO START PACKING THIS WEEKEND

Should be a awesome year for the rifle, and Muzzleloader hunters this year. Late rut.......I was in there for the archery hunts and the rut is about 2 weeks late.

I hate the rifle hunters this year, just kidding, they are going to slaughter we were up in 16A first hunt and the only bugles we heard were from people or were bulls at dark. I think the trophy quality will go down due to how late the rut is the rifle hunters will catch the end of the rut maybe 2 days on the first hunt but thats enough for rifle hunters to get it done. Good luck all of you

Good luck guy, like you I've got first and second rifle hunts with friends and family that I'm looking forward to. Bulls should be ripping opening morning of the first hunt and still sounding off a little for the second hunt. Considering how badly my buddies dad and me have struck out in Colorado, Utah and Arizona we're getting a bit anxious to put some meat in the freezer. Really hoping for something nice for my old man...

www.streamflies.com

Good luck to all those lucky enough to have a tag. Post stories and pics asap, so those of us who didn't draw can get a little excited as well.

I'm heading out this weekend to do some scouting in 16B. Hoping to hear some bugles and see some bulls. Trying a completely new area that should be away from the crowds.

I am sure they will be bugling some and should take some nice bulls. However, I agree with one game and fish officer I talked to. He said this is the most unusual year he as observed. We both think due to the drought less cows are coming into estrus because the feed and summer feeding did not prepare them for healthy offspring. So I think it will be decent but not like some seem to thing a 3 week late rut is happening. It is just a bad year for the rut due to drought. This will play out some in your hunts. Just mine and Gregs opinion. Good luck and have fun.

Good points on all ends Bullbreath, this is a wierd wierd year. I agree that the harsh conditions limited the normal September estrus, but the cows not bred or that did not come in to estrus in September will likely be "hot" at some point in October (most likely right now) either by virtue of second estrus or likely by coming into heat in the first place now that forage conditions have been primed for some time. Combined with the significant temperature drop this week and the coming week I am expecting to see some cows really start acting the part. Had conditions remained as harsh as they had been before the rains I would agree with the poor rut due to drought take. However, the elk in Northern end of the Gila that I have been around have been in prime fat and sleak condition for over a month now. Too good of condition not to come into estrus.

My understanding is that it takes fairly extreme conditions for cows not to come into heat and I just don't see that taking place this year. While we may have a quiet rut with cows coming into heat slowly and at different times, I think we will still see (assuming there are no horrible winter or spring conditions) fairly normal calf numbers in the Gila next year. We just might have more late calves than usual. I don't think there will ever be a true peak rut stage this year, rather I think it will be a prolonged rut and we will see mature bulls in the next couple of weeks still bugling and tending cows. May even be able to call in a few nice bulls where the pressure isn't too heavy. Regardless, I'm curious to see how it all shakes out...

www.streamflies.com

Even a bad year hunting is great. I can't wait. I have a 16A second rifle tag in hand and am raring to get there... Just need to physically recover from my WY hunt a bit first. Think Ill get there about a week early and try to do some unobtrusive scouting not to mess with the others hunting...

Just got back from my scouting trip. Holy Crap...saw over 30 bulls, 7 were over 300" and four would be really close to 350". We also saw: one bobcat, one wolf, one wolf kill (small 3x4 rag horn bull), one bear, 50+ deer (10+ bucks), and numerous antelopes. Elk were bugling all day and all night.

Really an incredible scouting trip, especially since we were in the woods for less than 24 hours.

where I was at the elk were bugling all day...from 12 noon to being awoken five times during the night (pretty full moon). Not sure if it will end before next weekend. Even if it doesn't I think the first few shots in the area with increased traffic will shut everything down.

Waiting on the sidelines for a report on how it all went down. Good Luck Guys.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-11 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]One thing I was not expecting this past weekend was the heat... Bulls were bugling in the dark, but the full moon had everything lit up like the fourth of July. TOUGH conditions as it was dry and there was no wind. Unforgiving and I talked to many hunters in a couple of units on our way out who had not harvested. My buddy Nels had his first elk tag in hand and after covering miles and miles of country and glassing nothing but small bulls he did the right thing and harvested a sweet-eating 4x4 Saturday night at last light. We watched this bull feed up a canyon into our laps and Nels dropped him at 234 yards. A great shot for his first big game animal and first elk (edit: the bullet hole through the antler was shot #2 and somehow ended up hitting the bull in the neck...not sure how that happened).

The perfect first bull:
_MG_2336.jpg

Will be chasing bulls with my father and two other best buddies this weekend as well so I'm hoping we'll knock something else down. Anybody else?

www.streamflies.com

Nice bull on what sounds like a real tough hunt.

Heading out in the early AM to 16B. Hoping that the lack of moon light will help us hunters out.

Hunted the first ml season and saw a ton of elk but nothing over 300. Biggest elk we saw was a 300" 5x5 while scouting. We scouted 5 days and hunted all 5 days of the hunt. Elk were bugling thier heads off the first few days then it started to taper off pretty good with almost no bugling in the northern part of the unit where we were on the last day. I ended up taking a meat bull on the 4th night and my partner ate his tag but not for lack of opportunity at multiple 270 ish bulls. Very fun hunt but slightly bummed we could not see any of the bulls that make it a popular hunt.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom