Gila Wolves

N

NMelkhunter

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-10 AT 09:31AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-10 AT 09:08?AM (MST)

Is there anybody out there that isn't concerned over the impact of the wolves on OUR elk population?

It scares the hell out of me and I've tried to be proactive about sharing my opinions with our representatives but all I ever get back is some canned pile of BS that does not encourage me to think that anyone in a position to make a decision is taking this issue seriously. Like the way most things are handled here in NM...it would be a shame to wait until the damage is done and then decide to react but I guess that's why we'll always be the Land of Ma?ana!

Another site had a picture of this one stating he was in Collins Park... a little too close to thy honey hole!

1000gilawolf.jpg

NMPaul,

If only that perspective would hold up in court and suffice the wackos, I suspect the population could be "managed".

Just a quick question...and before I ask let me state this: I am an avid hunter, and Elk are by far my favorite animal to pursue. I love to see them and watch them just as much as I like to harvest and eat em. Their success and protection, as well as all our game animals is at the top of my list as a sportsman. So with that said...

Does anyone have any actual data from the GILA that shows the impact these animals are having? Just curious. I've seen them in 16A a few times and i would have to say that the elk population last year seemed to be better than in years past. Maybe I was just seeing the same herds over and over but man i saw a ton of elk...hunting and scouting. Cows, Calves, bulls and quality bulls. All seemed plentiful and healthy. Also, I walk almost everywhere I go. Don't have quads to run me around so I usually hoof it everywhere. I'm not running into massive amounts of kills or bones anywhere in 16A that leads me to believe they are absolutely devastating the herds....yet. Even on sheds trips in and Around Collins Park and in neighboring C (including Houghton where they're seen quite often)I'm not seeing the signs. Maybe I'm missing it. Looks like any other forest I go to. In fact 34 seems to be worse. Again, just curious. Just want any updated and recent info anyone has. I've seen the doom and gloom flyers from our northern states who share these animals, and I agree that if not monitored we could share the same fate. Any info from our neighborhood would be appreciated.

If you are spending as much time as you say over there, and you aren't seeing the impact in 16 C, then you have to be blind. The elk herd is being affected in a negative way. Not nearly the hunt it used to be for quality or quantity. The huntin fool magazine has even removed 16 C from it top choices, due to the decline in hunt quality.

T

I think that's the point I was trying to make. I can't say that I've seen first-hand the impact, as you say "yet". And not that there hasn't been impact already because I think those with more intimate knowledge than I about the situation would argue there has already been an impact of wolves on elk and cattle populations. I just don't want to wait until it becomes clear to every Tom ##### & Harry out there before we take action. My fear is that if we wait until we see significant impact, then it's too late and we would be talking many years to turn things around while we could be taking a more proactive approach to manage the wolves now. Plus I think our fellow westerners to the north have an example they'd be happy to share to demonstrate the road we're heading down.

As is the case with most bureaucratic decisions made with "good intentions", there is complete lack of understanding of the implications and consequences of the decisions being made.

i am with you, but man it is hard to get them to do anything at federal, state or local level. Seems like all the people who can vote are on the side of the wolves, maybe it is time to get people in there that are more hunter friendly.
T

It would nice to think that more hunter friendly people are readily out there. Since the 80's based on personal experience, most professors are teaching their liberal beliefs and now the programming is beginning even in grade school. It is sad and somehow not only hunters but many other groups must get a hold of it. It is only going to get worse and since the majority of city slicker liberal voters dont give a chit about our wants and wishes I would be inclined to live by the 3 S method in my part of Colorado. Probably wont ever solve the problem but if I save one elk it is better for not only me but just maybe someone else.

Here is a picture I took last year off the main road near Gwynn Canyon right after sunset on the last day of the last season of the archery hunt in 16A last year.

I know you can't really see it but it would show a pack of wolves surrounding a group of cow elk much like sheepherder dogs rounding up cattle. The 6 point bull that was with the 6 or so cows was about 100 yards off to the left just watching the wolves. At first glance when I was flying by on my RZR about 40 miles per hour I thought it was coyotes. When I finally got stopped after hitting the brakes and put my 15X binocs up to get a closer look, I knew instantly they were wolves and not coyotes. They looked more like german shepards. Gray and fluffy. When I got back to camp just a mile or so down the road and told my cousin what I saw he told me they came cruising through camp and he almost shot one with his bow before he noticed the red radio collar.

5862img_0293.jpg

That also explains why the area we hunted the previous year that was loaded with elk was devoid of all elk this year.

That is the direction they came from and they must have moved the elk out of the area.

Horniac

>Here is a picture I took
>last year off the main
>road near Gwynn Canyon right
>after sunset on the last
>day of the last season
>of the archery hunt in
>16A last year.
>
>
>I know you can't really see
>it but it would show
>a pack of wolves surrounding
>a group of cow elk
>much like sheepherder dogs rounding
>up cattle. The 6 point
>bull that was with the
>6 or so cows was
>about 100 yards off to
>the left just watching the
>wolves. At first glance when
>I was flying by on
>my RZR about 40 miles
>per hour I thought it
>was coyotes. When I finally
>got stopped after hitting the
>brakes and put my 15X
>binocs up to get a
>closer look, I knew instantly
>they were wolves and not
>coyotes. They looked more like
>german shepards. Gray and fluffy.
>When I got back to
>camp just a mile or
>so down the road and
>told my cousin what I
>saw he told me they
>came cruising through camp and
>he almost shot one with
>his bow before he noticed
>the red radio collar.
>
>
5862img_0293.jpg

>
>
>
>That also explains why the area
>we hunted the previous year
>that was loaded with elk
>was devoid of all elk
>this year.
>
>That is the direction they came
>from and they must have
>moved the elk out of
>the area.
>
>Horniac

Perhaps my fears are not unfounded.

The #1 problem is no one knows how many wolves there REALLY is in the greater Gila. I guarantee you there are a LOT more than what the feds are claiming.

Wolves EAT fresh meat and a lot of it.

I videoed several cow/calf heards in 16C in July and the cow/calf ratio was at least 50 cows to every 100 calves. The first week of October the same year the ratio was closer to 50 cows to every 10 calves. THINK ABOUT THAT.....

I understand that there is mortality from many causes like sickness, coyotes, bears, lions, & I've heard that a Golden eagle can take down a calf elk, but taking all of these into consideration there is no possible way that combined they could decimate an elk heard that dramatically. Wolves have to be having a serious impact. I have no data to back up my opinions, but common sense says a lot!!!

Go see for yourselves and be your own judge.

16A will be next to be taken of of peoples TOP units!

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

SSS is the order of the day here,just look what happened in MT and ID. They are the poster child of the fruit and nut crowd,and their $ magnet,and they don't contribute a dime for wildlife over all.

I was in Middle Diamond last weekend (16B) and I was amazed at the amount of wolf scat (& all mostly elk hair) and wolf tracks. I also found a couple old elk kill sites; one was bones and hair (possibly left from a hunter) and the other looked like it might have been a lion kill; with a lot of sticks and leaves piled up. It was killer hot the day I was down there, so I didn't stick around too long, just went for a hike into a little secret water hole that was completely dried up, so I hiked back out and headed home.

I definitely think the number of calves is down over the last couple years, but I don't see any hope of turning around the wolf situation. That train has left the station.
-- Bob

Here where I live the game n fish and the wolf people pick up elk and deer that have been hit by cars on the side of the road so they can feed the bad wolf that eats a domestic cow. I have a better idea. Shoot the wolf that killed the domestic cow and feed it to the other wolfs so they get a taste for one another and maybe that will solve the big bad wolf problem. don't know what those people are thinking??!!!

If you want to study the effect Wolves have on Elk herds, review the Elk population counts in Idaho. I am an Idaho native and have lived in NM the last 4 years and based on the results I witnessed in Idaho, I am very concerned with what the future holds for NM.

I was informed the recent Idaho Clearwater/wilderness range Elk herd had grown to over 13000 prior to the introduction of Wolves, the latest count was 2500.

The NM Wolf packs will increase rapidly, our quickest defense is to voice our concerns with NM Fish and Game and try to quickly introduce Wolf population hunts.

ITS SAD THAT WE GOT TO A POINT WHERE " SSS" IS MORE EFFECTIVE THAN DEALING WITH THE POLITICS! BUT THATS HOW WE DEAL WITH THE IMMAGRATION ISSUE HERE IN SOUTH TEXAS!...LOL

Here in Wyoming the Jackson Hole elk population went from 22,000 in 1995 down to a little over 6,000 in 2010. And now that most of the elk are gone the wolves are wiping out the Moose population to where they can't make a recovery.

A few years ago I was Lion hunting just north of the Gila and spotted a single wolf out in the middle of the San Agustin plains just west of RD 52. The New Mexico Game and Fish told us it was a hybreed(sp) that had got loose from it's study area. All I can say is that was one big $ss wolf, only had I been alone...

Scratch

Wolves were introduced into unit 34 long ago and tried again recently. That elk herd continues to flourish. Why you ask? Becuase most people around here use common sense and realize those things don't belong. Thats just a guess on my part but I'm not worried about those things ever taking root in these hills. It's not the greenies fault. Its every sportsmans fault that sees one of those damned things and lets it live. I could care less how man G&F officers read this. those are my views and I will feel that way till the day I die. Wolves don't belong!

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

i am with stinky on that one! when i was a lil boy about 5 i was talking to my grandpa about a wolf that had killed a friends cow. i asked him y they are still around and said he is not sure why they are but that he is sure there is a reason we killed them off the first time and that he thinks it should happen again. he also said " those animals are gonna make a come back and we will not be able to kill them you watch and see" looks like he was right! if they look like a coyote to me they are dead.

>If you are spending as much time as you say over there, and >you aren't seeing the impact in 16 C, then you have to be >blind. The elk herd is being affected in a negative way. Not
>nearly the hunt it used to be for quality or quantity. The >huntin fool magazine has even removed 16 C from it top >choices, due to the decline in hunt quality

Hey toole,

I agree whole heartedly, just hadn't seen it for myself. I spend more time in A than C but have been seeing the wolves on the border between the two more frequently. Wasn't tryin to rattle anybody as I have the same views as all of you. I love elk, deer and all of our other game. Could care less about the wolves. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, they're all just another coyote in the cross hairs. Just wasn't sure how rapidly they're reproducing and how much game they consume. I think we all need to hold a "coyote" calling tourney...biggest "coyote(s)" wins. Cheers G&F.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom