Give up hunting? Dear Amy.

BeanMan

Long Time Member
From Today's Denver Post...

Dear Amy: My girlfriend and I have been together for two years. This month she gave me an ultimatum: I give up hunting, or she leaves.

Every year, my best friend and I spend the opening weekend of deer season in a cabin we built on his family's land. It is the only weekend I hunt, and I look forward to it every year. My friend and I don't get to spend much time together, so this weekend has been our excuse to get together, catch up and have a good time.

My girlfriend told me this year that she doesn't want to be with someone who could kill a deer. I tried to explain that hunting helps control deer population in the absence of natural predators and that hunting is a better way of acquiring meat than buying beef slaughtered in an industrial farm and shipped across the country.

I went hunting this year against her wishes and killed a buck. She wouldn't talk to me for three days. Now she says if I don't promise to give up the sport, she will leave me. She says if I cared about her feelings, I wouldn't hunt.

I do care about her feelings, and I don't want to upset her. But I don't think I should have to give up hunting because she doesn't like it.

What should I do? ? Befuddled in Binghamton

Dear Befuddled: Your letter is why ultimatums don't usually work.

(If I could, I'd issue an ultimatum against ultimatums.) This issue will come up each hunting season; you now have a year of peace in which you can attempt to work out a compromise (and where ultimatums don't usually work, compromises almost always do).

Would your girlfriend be as unhappy if you went on this hunting excursion, enjoyed the experience but didn't kill anything? Could you square your ethical hunting argument to keep the peace at home? You could start by presenting these two extremes with the goal of taking baby steps toward each other until you meet somewhere near the middle

I would drop her like a fat hot rock.

Beanman

I saw that this morning too. My 1st wife tried that after we got married. She knew full well I had been hunting my whole life. She is now my ex-wife.

Calif_Mike

My hunting buddy was just told by his wife last week that she thought, "he would grow out of all this hunting sh1t".

She does not know it yet but that one comment is probably the begining of the end of their 6 year marriage.

YOU DON'T CHANGE PEOPLE LADIES!!!

WTF??? This is stuff that should be layed out front at the beginning of a relationship , period!

Oh yeah..THAT'S a good match. *insert eye roll and sarcasm* Lots in common in that relationship, it sounds like. Dump her, dude!

Jenn
"Some people are like slinkys; not really good for anything
but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs!"

> "he would
>grow out of all this
>hunting sh1t".
>

GROW OUT OF IT? WTF? Hunting is just a phase? That's just ridiculous.

Even if this women did give in and allow him to go, he should still drop her. If thats how it is now, it will only get worse. There will be more probles that are not even related to hunting.

My wife new I was a hunter and knew I would be after we got married.

they have alot in common. if you listened carfeully and red between the lines, this guy is uglier than sin, but has alot of money. the woman only likes him for his money and therefor will let him have her goodies. he is not a true hunter because all true hunters are dirt poor and have good women that'll hunt with em.

the only eagle with enough power and speed to kill and gut you with one shot

14 1/2 yrs ago I married my High School sweetheart. After we were engaged and making our wedding plans I told her in a polite and respectful way I would love her forever and be with her till the end as long as she never came between me and my hunting. Now, 14 and 1/2yrs later it has never been an issue between us and I hunt alot more then one weekend a year. My wife knows that if she ever came between me and my other love she would lose. We have two children together and I love her and respect her it's just my hunting is that important to me.

Slide

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-07 AT 01:56PM (MST)[p]Women spend the first half of their lives finding a man that they love completely and want to be with forever. Then they spend the rest of their lives trying to change everything about that man.

I am lucky. My wife encourages me to hunt when I have the time and money to do it. I think that dude needs to lose the chick in the letter.

Andy

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.trophyblogger.com/Andymansavage

>
>Women spend the first half of
>their lives finding a man
>that they love completely and
>want to be with forever.
>Then they spend the rest
>of their lives trying to
>change everything about that man.
>
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. We don't want to CHANGE you....just make you better. LOL ;-)

I SEEN A STICKER IN A WINDOW THE OTHER DAY!!!

IT SAID:::

"DITCH THE BITTCH I'M GOING HUNTING"!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

He only hunts one weekend a year......and kills a deer? It takes me sometimes a couple years of hunting every available weekend. She should be thrilled!

Eel

Maybe she doesn't like the spikes and two points he keeps bringing home. Ever think of that??

LMAO!!!

JUST TELL HER THERES WORSE HOBBIES OUT THERE.SHE SHOULD BE THANKFUL FOR YOU ONLY HUNTING ONE WEEK A YEAR.IF SHE CARES ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS SHE SHOULD UNDERSTAND.

JUST GET RID OF HER NOW!!!

I DON'T CARE HOW UGLY SHE IS!!!

IF SHE DON'T UNDERSTAND IT NOW!!!

SHE'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND IT!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

My first wife let me hunt whatever and whenever I wanted. That is one of the reasons she is still my first wife.

BT

I encourage him to nurture the relationship. That will make the draw odds better by one.

Thanks buddy!;-)

She obviously doesn't care about his feelings, either. Worse than that, she believes her feelings are morally superior to his feelings, experiences and thoughts.

Another vote for find a good woman....that guy and she are NO MATCH and will never be....unless he changes to be "her".

"Every year, my best friend and I spend the opening weekend of deer season in a cabin we built on his family's land. It is the only weekend I hunt, and I look forward to it every year. My friend and I don't get to spend much time together, so this weekend has been our excuse to get together, catch up and have a good time."

Geeze! BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN ... the sequel.

Anybody know which bar this poor gal hangs out at .... ????

LOL!

RUS

Start with another ultimatum. He will stop hunting if she stops shopping. Yeah right! I'd dump her. Even my fiance' says dump her.

What will this guy's girlfriend want next? His balls! Oh wait she already has them. GOOD LUCK!

And what is even worse is the lame answer that she gave the guy. I encourage everyone to write Amy and tell her what you think of her reply. Here is what I sent her:

I am sorry to say that I feel you totally missed the boat on this answer. It is pretty obvious that this couple has a serious problem.

She is asking him to give up something he obviously loves FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE. This is an activity that is legal, moral, ethical, and provides food for the table. He doesn't mention that she is a vegetarian, so making the assumption that she eats meat, she is really asking him something that defies logic. I will never understand the view that it is OK to HIRE your killing, but being a part of the process is somehow bad.

If a woman I was dating TOLD me that I had to give up hunting or she would leave, I would realize that the river is too wide to build a bridge (compromise) and I would end it. Better now than later.

From my experience with people who hunt, there would be a very small chance that he could give up hunting forever and not hold a considerable grudge, not a good foundation for a future relationship. And I will bet you the Ranch (where of course I hunt) that if he does give in on this, they will end up breaking up before or after the marriage. This issue is the tip of the iceberg.............

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I watched this with tournament fishing. Guys would sell off everything and quit and the gal would leave them anyway. It was just an excuse to leave which was what they wanted to do anyway but wouldn't admit it. Pack the suitcase and put a boot in their butt, they are headed out the door anyway. Mother Nature will be there for you till the day you die!

That right there is funny I don't care who you are. He doesn't have any if he only hunts one weekend a year. He just as well quit.

Somebody mentioned "grow out of" hunting. At age 44, after hunting for about 35 of those 44, I grow more into it every year.

I'd drop that beeotch like right now!

Boot to the head....

He needs to grow his hair long and hunt full time after she is gone.

My first 3 wives had or developed that same attitude.

My current wife is actually happy when hunting seasons are open. We have a really good lookin' kid that comes and cleans the pool when I am gone...........no problem!

Nickman,
Sorry I screwed up the PH level in the pool last fall, I was a little distracted. Did you catch a deer ?

>Nickman,
>Sorry I screwed up the PH
>level in the pool last
>fall, I was a little
>distracted. Did you catch a
>deer ?

LMAO !!!

JB

That's the first thing i tell em' on a first date. I hunt i'm never going to stop and if you don't like it or can't accept that about me then get out.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-07 AT 02:30PM (MST)[p]To the curb beyaaaatch. . . . .

One of my old girlfriends told me that if ever we lived together she would not allow a dead dear in the house to be cut up on the dinning room table and in the kitchen, I kicked her to the curb - FAST!

I think i was more pissed about the fact that she would tell ME that in OUR house I could not use our kitchen. . . yea right, like that's going to work. . . you better tell her that youre a hunter and always will be so get over it, or tell her to hit the road, you'll never ever forgive yourself if you give in, also, is she's willing to draw that kind of line, you guys NEVER will make it so why not just cut her off now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Nickman,
Sorry I screwed up the PH level in the pool last fall, I was a little distracted. Did you catch a deer ? "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........
.....BREATHE...........
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........
.....BREATHE...........
TOO FUNNY!
Thanx Jagy....I needed that!!

------------------------------------------------------
By the way,
I live in UT.
There are a lot of UTARDS that live here.
I have also seen quite a few WYOMORONS, NEVADUHNS, COLORADORKS, ID-IOTS and AIRHEADZONANS in my travels.

Bang her then kick her to the curb. Then once hunting season comes around leave a big ol gut pile on her front step :)

-Cody AKA BigBuck92

Jager.....it was ok, after you left, I think some other guys showed up, mowed the lawn, washed the motorhome, painted the fence, fixed the roof on the barn and shoed the horses.

I hunted 79 days since Sept 1st and somehow I never had to do any of that "Honeydo" stuff.

When I got home, none of my toys were missing....unless you consider stealing my wife a piece at a time....and I can't see where any of that is missing either.

I can live with the tradeoff.

Can I count on you for next year?

Yeah.....Im in.

Could ya leave some more beer in the fridge?
A guy gets thirsty taking care of yer....pool.

Let me know if you go on a turkey hunt this spring and ill come over and trim the bush.

Later,

There are plenty of women to partner up with. I don't in any slight or diminish the deep relationships that can develop between a man and a woman, but the idea that there is only one right woman for a specific man . . . is mistaken.

My approach to this is to think about it philosophically, by which I mean seriously and rigorously. My analysis would follow the line of question of what is the state of understanding of a woman who has this attitude about hunting? She does not understand the nature of human beings as omnivores, specifically as at least partially opportunistic predators. She wants to ignore and supress this fundamental element of what it means to be human. Why is killing a deer different from killing a beef cow and eating it? Why is killing a deer different from killing a catfish and eating it? Is it morally superior to pay another to do one's killing and butchering for you? Maybe if you are a Hindu (caste system, butchers are among the untouchables I think). This woman has no consistent intellectual position on this topic and is victim to a head full of fuzzy-wuzzy feel-good nonsense that is disconnected from the real world. She doesn't understand the important role that hunters play in managing deer populations. She doesn't understand the important role that hunters play in conservation and habitat preservation through their tax dollars. Further, her issuing an ultimatum doesn't leave one feeling very optimistic about how she would share power and decision making in a long term relationship.

Man, if I were on a date with a woman and she told me such a thing, I would leave her at the dinner table to pay for her dinner and to find her own ride home and be outta there instantly. I've been married for 20 years, and my wife has no objections to my hunting, so I have no real opportunity to practice what I preach, but it sounds like a good idea!

I missed alot of good times and hunting with my father because a girl thought it would be more important to be with her, boy do I regret it. Do me and everyone a big favior, get rid of her and find someone that will understand your feelings and will support your hobbies. (Theres a hell of alot more fish out there). I found one.

When I got married, nearly 24 years ago, my wife to be knew that hunting and fishing were very important to me, and that I spent a ton of time out doing both. After we got married, I continued doing both activities a lot, think more than 60 days per year, sometimes much more. Anyway, after a few years, and before any kids came along, she put her foot down and told me that she thought it was too much and that I needed to change. I responded that she knew what she was getting into with me, and I was doing it a ton before I met her, and I'd be dong it a ton after we went our seperate ways if that'd make her feel better. She thought about it some, and we're still together, happily, I might add. I still hunt and fish over 50 days per year. When you add in my other "away" activities like baseball, I'm probalby gone 70-80 days per year. My wife has been very understanding and supportive, as I've been of her seperate interests.

She knew I meant what I said those many years ago, and she made a choice to stick it out. It's worked well for both of us.

Thats a good one Bucksnort,
Previously I was unaware one o'them left a skid marks of snail type slime on oneself, I'll have to be more carefull on the future, or wear gortex pants, as to not get any on me :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom