Glass Bed or New Stock?

cowslayer

I am looking to improve the accuracy on my back-up hunting rifle. There are a couple of minor issues with the current rifle stock as it is not properly bedded, the front of the stock is touching the barrel and causing what I think to be a pressure point that I think is ruining my consistency/groups. I also don't want to spend a lot of time and or money this year on my "back-up" rifle.

I was thinking about buying a H.S. Precision rifle stock with the aluminum bedding as the alternative to the glass bedding. I know several of you have bedded your own rifles. What was your experience. How long did it take...

How much would a gunsmith bed this for in the SLC area?

What would you do if you were me. If you need additional info, post it up.

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

What kind of rifle is it and what barrel contour do you have? Some rifles need the pressure point to shoot really well (light contours). A little glass never hurt though. To me I'd rather try to bed it and relieve any side pressure before spending the cash on an H&S stock. Just my 2 cents.

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-08 AT 07:33AM (MST)[p]Heck if you are thinking of getting a new stock anyway try and bed it your self. You won't wreck the stock you have doing it your self, but if you still feel it has a problem go and get the new stock. Remember that no matter what new stock you buy it should be bedded in that stock for the best fit, it is impossible or total blind luck that you would get a perfect fit in any stock with out proper bedding. It really isn't that hard to do a great job, yes you may have a little trial and error,but its easy to re-do.

Like Bogey says bed it yoursrlf.Glassbed the receiver ring recoil lug area and an inch and a half or so of barrel,than float the barrel.Hopefully there will be some improvement.You have nothing to lose and gain the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

If you already know you have a pressure point at the fore-end of the stock, get rid of that first, and see if accuracy improves before going to additional lengths that may not be needed. mtmuley

My Savage rifle had the same pressure point at the fore nd of the stock and I got a respectable 1.5 inch groups with it.
I one day sanded out the stock to free float the barrel and glass bedded arround the barrel lug and an inch or so ahead of the lug. My accuracy was surprisingly better,now gting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups from the same rifle. I also added a Timney trigger and had the rifle Magna Ported. What a sweet shooting 30-06 !

I don't have a dremmel tool, what do you all recomend to clear the space and free float the barrel? Sand Paper? What grit for a synthetic stock? Any special tools you recomend in taking care of the pressure point?

CS

sand paper, wrap in a 3/4 to 1'" piece of pipe and work the barrel channel, brownells and midway also sell tools to hog them out, for around 20 bucks. even with the aluminum bedding block, i still glass or steel bed.

An aluminum bedding block is NOT nor ever will be the equivalent of glass bedding. If you want to pony up the cash for an HS, might as well save a little more and buy Mcmillan...and don't forget to bed it.

Cowslayer;

Use a wood dowel of a size to fit your barrel channel, should be just over 1/2 to 3/4 inch. wrap 100 grit sandpaper around it and sand from forend to just in front of the recoil lug. Becareful and do not remove too much from the top edge or you end up with a big ugly gap between the barrel and stock.
Sand a little and trial fit the barrel action in the stock. Since it is a syn stock, stop sanding when you can slide a dollar bill down the stock channel when you have the barrel action screwed in place.
I also would reccommend that you glass bed the action. Test fire the rifle to see if accuracy is improved. If not, try a match book cover at the forearm end to add a pressure point and see if that is a improvement. Most rifles will do best if free floated, but I have run across several that needs about 6-8 pounds of contact pressure at the forend to dampen barrel vibration for best accuracy.

RELH

Thanks all for the great advice. I took out the pressure points on the rifle and am surprised at how my group has improved with just this minor adjustment. I will also get working on glass bedding it shortly.

Thanks Chris

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom