GMU 33 Colorado

HuntinFoo

I am thinking about putting in for the 3rd season in GMU 33. Was wondering what kind of a hunt to expect, are their a lot of deer, or are the numbers low? What kind of bucks could a guy find? Would it be reasonable to expect a 24 inch 150 class buck (I am willing to get off the road and hunt hard). What has the winter been like in this part of the state, is the deer hunting in this area going to suffer because of it? Thank to anyone who can give me a little help.

I was throwing around the idea of hunting this second season... would like to hear from people that have hunted this before...

There may be a buck or two arround ,but you will find lots more hunters than deer.

So nobody is really opening up on this one? Is 33 over hunted like 15, 35, 36, and 45 or is there better potential in this unit and nobody is speaking up? Everyone is always down on these units but look at the harvest numbers since 15 split off it may be a sleeper and 33 certainly produces some good bucks compared to the eagle unis?

I hunted 15, 3rd season last year and probably won't go back. I screwed up my applications and drew it as a mistake. Access was a pain for the lower country, and the higher stuff was thick timber. Ton's of hunters everywhere, had several experiences where other hunters did stuff that really ticked me off, including; another hunter shooting a buck I was stalking after watching me glass to see what I was looking at, a group of guys driving up a closed road that I had just hiked up, a hunter seeing me and then hiking up a ridge I was sitting on top of and then sitting down to glass 20 yards away from me (I went up to the guy and asked if he was seriouly going to sit right there and glass, he looked surprised that I would ask and eventually left to go another 100 yards down the ridge where he sat the rest of the evening). However, I can't really blame other hunters, it is public land and they have as much a right to it as I do. But there just wasn't the space I would have liked to allow me to get away. I saw some great bucks on the side of the road on private land, but it was tough to find a mature buck on public land that stayed alive long enough for you to get within shooting distance. 4th season could be fun though, and if worse comes to worse I might hunt it again.

Dax

We hunted 15,35,36 in 2006 fourth season. Saw a lot of deer but no big bucks. We shot a 27 and 28 inch buck, the two biggest bucks we saw. The dissapointment was we watched a big hillside in 15 on the king ranch for a morning. There had to be 200 deer on in it and quite a few bucks but not a buck over 27 inches wide. This ranch is never hunted by anyone so if there was a good buck he should have been there.

Daxter
I've had the exact same bad experiences with other hunters in Wyo. Each incident cost me an elk. And, no, I'm not that forgiving. I call people like that "slob hunters" ie. lacking in hunting ethics. Hopefully what goes around comes around and then,perhaps,they'll learn.

I hunted 33 second season. Only bucks I saw was one fork in the woods and descent 18 inchers on private lands down low. Did see a bunch of hunters and some doe. Hunted a good variety of the unit too. Probably walked 10 or 12 miles total over a couple days. I will never go back.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom