GMU 54

jgriffin82

My party is likely to draw GMU 54 second season this year and we are looking for somewhere to stay that is somewhat close by. We usually hunt 66 and stay in Lake City and the one time hunted 54 we stayed at Island acres. This time we will have 7 guys total. Some with tags, some without. Most, if not all of the campgrounds with cabins will be closed on 10/15 for the season. I would like to find a house/cabin that could accommodate the whole party and still have a little extra room. Can any body here recommend anything that I would not find on VRBO or any other common rental sites? Thanks.

Jim

How many points do you have going in? How many with points? Gunnison is a bit of a drive, but worth it from what I hear.

We all have minimum one deer point. Hopefully point creep doesn't get to us. Most of us put 2nd choice cow on our elk app also. If we don't draw that, we'll get a bull tag. A couple guys are coming along for the ride. We stayed in Gunnison last time we hunted 54, It's not a bad drive. I am just trying to find a place big enough to accommodate the whole party. We usually have 4 guys which is a lot easier to accommodate!

Hard to beat Island Acres. Great great people who own it. You'd have to get a couple of rooms so if you do choose to go back, you'd want to book as soon as you decide you're coming. I hunt 54, and typically have about a hour and twenty minute hike to my spot and I like to be there before first light. I've started staying at the Quality Inn. Equally nice people. Heck the whole dang town is full of good people. Makes me sad that the elk hunting has went down the toilet in the part of 54 that I hunt..

Thanks for the advice guys. I hear you on the elk hunting in 54. It seemed pretty slim the year we hunted compared to where we normally hunt in 66. Hunted 6 days and saw about 10 bulls had a chance at a couple and killed one. We're focusing on deer in 54 but, it's nice to have an elk tag just in case.

Jim

Try VRBO.com. Probably slim pickings in that part of the world, but I've had good luck other places. Also airbnb.com.

PM me if you'd like to chat about 54. I've threatened to put in for deer there, but where I run into them, I just can't bring myself to hunt them there,lol. Just being honest... I should because I see bucks every year during first season. Don't ask score, it would only be a wild guess. I may go next year though, I certainly have the points 10 resident. And second season I would leave lots on the table. I don't want to hunt the late season as I don't think they would be in the same spot, and thus wouldn't know where they are.

JGriffin82, I replied to your PM. Let me know if you did not get it- not sure if did it right or not. LOL. Computers are, uhhh, not my thing.

CC, I did receive your PM. Thanks for the info. It'll help me narrow down my choices.

ZR1, I've never been to Almont but, I have heard that it is a nice little town to stay in. I'm just not sure how far the drive would be each morning to our hunting spot(s) once we decide where we'll be hunting in the unit. That seems to be my hold up.

Jim

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom