GMU 62 middle

NebrCatMan

Hey guys .......last year we camped on the divide road near Uncompahgre Butte and hunted around there and to the NE around Snipe and Brushy mountain. I was looking at the unit using google maps and it looks like if you go south a ways just off the divide road to the east it appears to get more wooded and covered ......not so much open ground. Is this a fairly accurate assumption? What is the terrian like farther south of where we were .....kinda like the middle of 62 along and just east of the divide road. If ya read this cowtag, I know you are going to be around that ranger station. Mite try to drive down that way..........maybe hunt a new area one day. Anybody have any comments? Thanks !!

Cat Man, my cell phone is 618-926-1653 if either of us has any service there. I know that some hunters go east of the old Columbine Camp area to bow and black powder hunt. We will be in that general area camping. We are leaving this coming Wednesday. What about your group? Good luck. Cowtag

How is it looking in 62 now? Heading up Friday hoping for some movement and nice Mulies.

Hey deerologist, hope you have a safe trip. We too are leaving either Thursday or Friday to head to 62 and hopefully get into some elk. Have talked to a couple of local hunters there and they said they have been receiving their seasonal rains. A friend from my area here in Nebraska was out there bow hunting in a near by GMU and took a cow. Saw plenty elk but the other hunters sure moved them around. It was hot there......but did cool off into the upper 40's at nite. He saw frost one morning, but only one morning. Sounds like it is still pretty warm in Grand Junction and Montrose but up higher I am sure it is a little cooler. Just not as cool as I had hoped for. Our plan is to make camp not too far from where you are staying. I mite bump into your group while we are there. Good luck hunting and enjoy your trip!

you are right nebcatman weather has been pretty hot but the evenings have cooled down real nice I was up in 61 last weekend and it was real nice.very busy on the divide road and dave wood firewood cutters, hunters and sight seerers!Have heard the elk are on the move meaning not in there usual spots dont know if that is due to weather or pressurE I was able to take a 6x4 with my bow the first morning so havent been back in 62 since then just across the divide in 61. good luck with your up coming hunt let me know if there is any thing i can do to help

I'm sure we will see each other at some point. We will probably concentrate on the private at first and then try tO figure out where everything is at. We will be in either a dark blue dodge or a dark Chevy with Texas plates.

We have Unit 62 deer tags for this year. Anyone seeing any quality bucks up that way?
Any suggestions for area's to hunt in unit 62 for deer?

You guys may want to try Kelso Mesa if you do not mind a good hike....Great bucks and bulls.
Best,
Jerry

Hey.........thanks to all who replied!!! We have the trailer loaded and the truck is ready to head west. We were going to camp around snipe or brushy mountain ..... but mite stay on the divide road so we can hit that area and also try a couple new areas to the south. I did kinda pick out Kelso Mesa and Kelso point off the maps I were studying but I thank you for your great suggestion. I hope it pays to study the maps over and over before we head there. Is there a lot of private land between Kelso Mesa and the divide road? Hope the weather is cooler and the rut really gets going by Sunday!!

Hey nebrcatman Lots of rain last night and this morning tons cooler the last couple of days. This weekend should be a good one good luck

Sounds like it should be primed up by this weekend! Hopefully the game is moving. I'm looking for a nice muley in the same general area(snipe and brushy) and have access to the private. Hope that helps us out.

Hey thanks for the input. I was wondering if the road that goes to Beaver Dam Reservoir is open to the public or is it on private land. How close can you get to the west side of Kelso mesa? My maps show lots of Patented land. That is the same as private.......right????It appears that road go for a ways after the water ... is it just a cow path or fairly decent. It sure looks good from my maps. Any info or comebacks will be greatly appreciated. Here in Nebraska we are getting a very heavy rain......probably most in 3 or 4 months. Raining about 1" an hour. This is Wed. nite around 9 pm. Hope it does not stop. Will help the soybeans and sure lessen the fire hazard as the combines roll thru those corn fields. Have been a few fires caused by bearings that are out on the combines or balers. Hey thanks again!!!!!!!

Access around the private, to get to Kelso,is possable down a well used cow trail.So watch your step. It is a pretty long hike to get into the hunting there.

Good luck. bring some rain with you.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom