GMU 66 property ownership card

Loner

My 73 year old Father has a 66 3rd rifle tag, i am the one who pushed him to get points and i will be his "guide". Anyway....

Wondering if it would be worth getting the chip to allow my GPS to show land ownership. Or, am i good with my GPS and a BLM map? Are fences marked with a color to indicate private? Will i regret not spending the money?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Ryan V

I'd definitely have a private/public property chip in your gps. I'm glad I bought mine for my hunt next week. Some areas I wanted to hunt are private and the chip helped a lot by doing my research before heading up.

+1 on the chip. Call onX - my GPS is third only to my rifle and optics in importance. Some good spots in 66, as with most units are around private & those folks understandably don't take to well to trespassing.

Now, any advice on how to keep the old man's finger off the trigger? Would it be too controlling if i held the ammo the first 4 days? LOL

I would shoot the first legal bull I saw. Although 66 isn't an over the counter unit residents can draw it with 0 to 1 PP and throughout all the seasons they issue over 800 tags. Maybe a unit for an enjoyable hunt but probably not considered a trophy unit.

I think he's hunting deer. 3rd is still not an easy hunt for a big deer. Obviously weather is a factor. I've hunted the area. Feel free to send pm.

Get the chip...
Colorado doesn't do the fence posts...It should.
You can also put the chip in your driving/auto GPS and it will show you where you are when you are in your car. You'll be surprised at how many patches of huntable ground are out there. Also, landowners have a tendency to over-estimate (lie) about their property lines. Fences don't mean anything, as far as showing you where a boundary is. The BLM, as a rule, is generous on placing their boundary signs as their sign may be off by a 1/4 mile (usually about 100 yards)(You will have that much as a cushion). Also, I've seen signs that say, dead-end road, private land ahead....but the road ended in about a mile...at the private land boundary.
John 14:6

Get the card, even the fences can be off by quite a bit (when there are fences.) I watched a really good deer in the area a cpl years ago and fence told me he was on public, GPS and rangefinder told me he was on private. That LO confirmed the fences were 20' inside the property line.

tx packmule, that deer would be in trouble.

I have the chip installed and working. Have talked to a few government employees, a friend, and a MM forum member and feel real good about where to start. I do not plan to purposely hunt edges of private, but will be real nice to be confident about where we are, technology is amazing.

I can remember the old days; solo backpack hunting big country in Idaho with no GPS. Crazy.

Thanks all!

Ryan V

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom