Goex ffg powder

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Need to shoot a gun a friend made for me. It’s a sidelock 54 cal round ball shooter. Tried triple 7 but that’s a little hot for it. He recommends Goex ffg. That is what he sighted it in with.

Where is the best place to try and buy some Goex ffg from these days?

I think Hodgdon suspended production of Goex.

It seemed that happened a couple months ago.

Try Pyrodex P maybe?

I think meversten is correct. They stopped making Goex. The only black powder you could possibly get would be imported.

You might look at cowboy action shooting or Civil War reenactor web sites to see what they are shooting.

Is real black powder what you really want? It might be hard to find. You won’t get it mail order.
A black powder dealer has to have a Federal explosives license, keep the powder in a magazine and keep records of sales and inventory.

The Goex I know of is/was black powder.

I think I was incorrect on buying mail order. I think black powder can be shipped with a hazmat fee.

I was shooting 70 gr of 777 and it shot/ grouped well but the gun has pretty rigid sights and the ball was hitting 5-6” high at 50 yards with max adjustment down.

Want to eventually hunt elk so don’t want to go below 70 gr.

He was using 80 gr of real black and was able to get sighted in well. May try some pyrodex and see how that works.

Hmmmm....interesting. I was shooting 65 grn 777....vs’s 70 grn fffg....was nearly identical poi

There are LOTS of scams out there right now and this seems to be one of them

Found this when doing some research of the company:

4E827B41-3CD8-4905-8C68-99676272A219.png

The Goex manufacturing plant caught on fire and Hodgdon Powder Co chose not to re build and sold the Goex part of the company. Hopefully the new company will start making small arms powder again.

Swiss or Schuetzen FFg powder is still available. You can order it but the Hazmat fee is $44 whether you buy one pound or 25 pounds. Civil War reenactors and muzzleloading clubs will band together to order so they just pay one Hazmat fee.

I owned a muzzleloader before Pyrodex was invented and there were a few places locally that sold black powder. They have all stopped selling it. I think there is one place in the State that still sell it.

I looked on the National Muzzleloading Rifle web site and they showed a place near Amarillo and one near Hobbs, NM. I don't know if you are near either of those places.

I've got a bottle. Might have 2.

If you can get a drone to fly up here and snag it, it's yours.

Cowboy action shooters in Texas maybe?

Alamo reinactors?

I didn't know goex was gone. Guess that shows how often I've shot the side Hammer.

GOEX has recently been purchased.
No one knows how long before production resumes.
In the meantime buy some Schutzen brand if you can find it. Results should be quite close.

I shoot 90gr of triple 7 2f out of my Lyman GPR caplock 54. No problems.
I use 3f goex in the same gun but in flintlock. It leaves less residue and groups better at the range when shooting a lot (swabbing between shots).

Sorry, I should have said that 3f goex leaves less residue than 2f goex in my flintlock. I’d say 2f 777 burns cleaner than 2f goex but not certain.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom