Going to start now and get bashing out of the way 19 elk points 2019

pdkillr

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-18 AT 12:21PM (MST)[p]Just used my 18 pp and drew unit 67 4th rifle mule deer. Got a little help but expectantly not much. Plan on doing a full write up of my hunt when I get back. Anyways as stated I have 19 pp for elk wanting to use next year, any thoughts or advice to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

>He is asking for advice on
>where to burn 19 elk
>points next year. I would
>look into 61.

Well now he is :D

#livelikezac

I'm curious about your forum handle "pdkillr" what does that mean?
As far as your 19 elk points? I think you'll get a little more advice now that you're a regular contributor.

Res or Non-Res is a good starting place as it narrows down your options based on draw odds.

Sorry for all the confusion. I am a NR and know that with 19 pts I will never catch up to the "PLATINUM" units. So with so many to choose from and evaluate, was hoping to get some solid advice from boots on the ground, as to how I should use 19 yrs worth of points. Looking for trophy approaching 350", plus or minus. Not wanting to use 19 pp to hunt a unit with sub par genetics. Thanks for any help. As far as pdkillr, it's prarie dog killer. Back in the day used to go to Lubbock, TX 3 or so times a years and literally shoot virgin towns out of the truck in A/C with windows down and shoot over 1000 in a 3 day period. Hence the handle name.

61 is out of reach at 19 as a non res. You're on the edge of 76 muzzleloader and you're in at 76 1st rifle. All I got.

#livelikezac

350" is a tall order in any unit, i'd suggest unit 76 with 19pts but even this unit is not known for that big of a bull, '280" '. but its possible, the positive thing is you should be able to draw the tag.

If you want 350 bull, unit 40 private with an outfitter is your best bet.

76 is a fun hunt, but if your set on a 350 bull, that may be tough in that unit.

Like others said unit 40 via outfitter or trespass fee hunt are about your best option if you're going to have a 350 standard... without serious scouting time or extensive knowledge of the unit places like 61 or 76 will disappoint you with the standards/expectations you have for your 19 points.

Coloradoboy

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-18 AT 02:50PM (MST)[p]

There are 350 bulls killed from time to time on public land in virtually every elk unit of Colorado. That said, there are NO units within your reach where a 350 bull is likely doable for even the above average hunter.

You might get lucky, but if you go in holding out for a 350, you will most likely eat tag soup. Utah has much more restricted elk hunting units than Colorado, and I have been putting in for the Limited Utah units for 15 years. But even there, all but a few units (the ones I will never draw) don't have 350 bulls for most hunters. When I get drawn, I am going to set a 330 minimum and hope for some luck

A realistic number to shoot for in units you can draw would probably be 300-320. If you hold out for more than that, I wish you well and LOTs of luck!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

350".... hmmmm there are some 1 pt tags with 350" elk in them, but I might want to hunt them in the next couple years.

To be clear, you will want to hunt muzzleloader or one of the "early" rifle elk hunts. No sense wasting 19 pts on a non-rut hunt. Just about every unit will have a 320" 6x6 somewhere that you can find during the rut, but there are no easy hunts for even this type of elk. You could look for completely limited units without OTC bull 2nd/3rd season or archery tags, and you would be ahead of the game.

If I were sitting on that many points, I would seriously consider 40 and making a private land hunt happen.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Dont post much, but if 350" your minimum on a 1 season hunt, there is not much in CO outside premium units.

If you willing put in years of hard work hunting same spot, a 350 is doable. I'm still chasing it after 30 years but I've seen them and bigger and it's only matter of time.

Good luck

Black Hollow Shooting Systems

https://www.facebook.com/bhshootingsystems/

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom