Gold Tip Weight

fairchase

Does anybody know what the finished weight of a Gold Tip Pro Hunter arrow (55/75) would be with nock, 3 plastic Duravanes and an insert, assuming the shaft is 27 inches long at 8.0 gr per inch. Thanks.

Greg

The Archery Program calls that arrow 8.5 grns/inch and 374.5 total with 100 grain tip and 11.35 FOC at 27.0" length.

Cheers,
Pete

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-04 AT 02:52PM (MST)[p]Thanks guys, I have to meet a 400 grain minimum for my state and I am looking for an all around big game arrow, including elk.

It looks like the Gold Tip would come very close with a 125g head instead of 100g. Would that mess the FOC too much?
Or I could up the spline to the next size (75/90), but I'm only shooting a 60lb single cam Hoyt so I am not sure what I should try. Any ideas?

Weight tubes inside your arrows. I can't remember who sells them, but I know that they work pretty well. They look like straws that you cut to the length of the inside of your arrows. Your nock holds them in perfectly. They come in a couple of different weights / inch.

You could probably get away with shooting the 125 grain heads on the arrows you have. You are probably on the stiff side now with the 100 grain tips.

I just switched back to xx78 ss selects in 2312 for my set up with 28.5" arrows at 63 lbs and 100 grain tips. They weight 425 grains total and are so little different than my older 385 grain carbons that it wasn't worth switching back and forth for target and hunting anymore. It's only 3" difference at 50 yards on my sight marks.

What bow and draw length are you shooting?

Cheers,
Pete

c3,
I was seeking some of your expertise advise. I'm thinking about buying the new GLT XL hunter Gold Tips in the 5575, and wondered if this would be a good choice or if I should go with the 3555 or 7595. I know that there is not much difference between the three but wondered which of the three would be the best choice for elk? I'm going to be useing the new Primos bow and it will be set around 60lbs.

Those numbers have nothing to do with the game you are persueing, but what stiffness arrow your setup requires.

If I were to make a punters guess, I'd say you have a 29" draw, with 28" arrows. This would require about a .400" - 0.430" spine at your 60 lbs with a release. The 5575 should fit that bill pretty well.

If your arrows are more than 1.5" longer or shorter or you have some weird tip weight, you might need one of the other two spines, but most likely you should be able to go up or down a few lbs with your draw weight and get the 5575's to work quite nicely with 100 grain broadheads.

Give me all your exact specs and I can tell you what TAP or Archers Advantage suggest for your set up to be sure.

Cheers,
Pete

I've not yet been measured, because I'm waiting to get the arrow shafts and bow in. I should be making the order within a day or two and figure I'll do that when I have the arrows cut to lenght. The on-line Primos bow comes with a 29" draw and I might have to get a modular for adjustment. But I'm also guessing that I will have a 29" draw, I'm 6'0" average build. I'm thinking about going with the 100 muzzy's, whats the disadvatage with the 125 grain? I'm also thinking about getting the simms modular stabilizer, is there a better choice?
Thanks,
Oats

Oats, measure your wingspan. Arms straight out to the sides from finger tip to finger tip. Subtract 15" then divide by two (2). This will give you the AMO drawlength your bow should be for your size give or take a 1/4" or so.

Don't have all your arrows cut at onece. Only cut 3 of them at first to the length you think would be safe infront of your hand with a broad head. This way you can make your other arrows shorter or longer depending on what you need to do to make them tune perfectly.

If you have a 73" or wider wing span, you leave your arrows a little longer (29.5") and choose the 125 grain broadheads, you might need to step up to the 7595 arrows.

That would be a good set up for elk. It should give you a 425 grain total weight, which is nice to have vs a 380 grain arrow that 100 grain broadheads would give you.

In any case give me your wingspan and I'll try to setup an arrow for you in TAP so you can have a good tune right off the bat.

Cheers,
Pete

c3,
My measurements came out to 73 1/2 or 73 3/4, I rounded up to 74 and came up with 30. I did this on my own but think its should be pretty accurate after doing it about 10 times and 3 differnt ways. Should I go to the 7595 arrows?
Thanks this is a great help.
Oats

Hey Oats:

Heres a set up I pulled that should work for you.

oats-setup.jpg

30" - 60 lbs draw
29.5" '04 XT Hunter Black 7595
125 grain tip
= 429.5 grains total weight
= 13.14% FOC (balance point in front of mid shaft - this is a good number to have in the 12 - 14% range)

This setup should give you 255 fps and 62 ft/lbs of kinetic energy.

You gotta love that 30" draw factor! After you get your bow and shoot about 200 or so arrows with it, measure the actual AMO draw length. I'll guess that with a bit of string stretch it will be really close to a 30" draw length with a shor d-loop.

Good luck with it.
Pete

C3...That's a pretty cool program. Is it software or can you find it in the internet?

The Archery Program

http://www.thearcheryprogram.com/

It will allow you to plug in all your data and get both arrow recomendations as well as sight tapes to set you site for the different yardages.

It takes a bit of fiddling to figure out how to use it, but once you get the jist, it's worth it.

I shoot olympic recurve target arrows that cost $280 / doz. You don't want to be making any mistakes with selecting those. This $30 program has been worth every penny I've spent on it times 10.

If you shoot 3D or outdoor targets, it, or it's competitor Archers Advantage, are absolutely necessary to get site settings that are perfect.

Cheers,
Pete

Excelente c3, I'll be sure to leave my arrows a little longer than 29.5 probably 29 3/4. I'm also going to get one of the Spot Hogg sights, Wisker Biscuit, and sims either modular or new 2000 stabilizers.
If you might be interested in a mule deer hunt in Colorado and are not already doing something with your PP's, let me know. I know of two areas that will take two to three points to draw depending on the season but have an abundance of quality bucks from 160 to 180 and the chance for a real brute. If your interested let me know I'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks,
Oats

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom