Gonna hunt it anyway?

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
So how many of you would let these guy?s stop you from hunting?

1380snake.jpg

444snake_arrow.jpg

6131snake_tail.jpg

The snake crawled into my makeshift ground blind on a side hill in August one year. Because of the hill, I was sitting back almost against the ground when this snake crawled in right beside me. I grabbed a softball size rock and threw it at the snake as I ran out of there! I had to go back in and retrieve my backpack and as it turned out I hit the snake square in the head. I never went back to that blind again. As a matter of fact I haven't hunted in August sense. I am now planning on hunting again this August down in the hole I hunted in last January. I did find snake skin sheds around the area down there and my hunting partner, my son and I ran into a small rattler on our way out last year. Should I let it stop me? What would you do?

GBA

No worries on the rattlers.
Been around them all my life, they really are not that aggressive if you don't mess with them.

A friend of mine once had a black mamba in his ground blind in Africa, now that is time to panic!
He bailed out the window.

Harry, A Black Mamba?? Screw that dude, it would be my last time in Africa that's for sure.

I have a great respect for snakes mostly because they have teeth! LOL.. If I can see them or know where they are I have no problem with them. But when it crawls in next to you now that's a different story all together. Scart the living bajeasus outta me! I couldn't believe it when I went back in after my pack that I actually hit the snake because I wasn?t aiming. I won't go out of my way to kill one but I won't hesitate if it got too close either.

GBA

They definitely make me more picky about how big a buck would have to be to venture into their home!! I hate them things. Almost stepped on one last year while scouting. The one I saw was about 15 feet long though!!! Biggest snake ever. Tried to attack me too!
LOL

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Time to get taller boots for sure and some thicker pants.
Maybe a little cat litter in the blind with ya I hear they don't like that stuff.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

There are three things in life I'm terrified of...snakes, spiders, and fags...wouldn't hunt near any of em!!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/zFix.jpg[/IMG] ~Z~

Hey Z, you mean like this?

5144spider.jpg

I cant help you out with a picture of your other fear?Maybe Faleno can chime in there, ha ha ha? That spider crawled up on my boot while I was glassing. I didn't even notice it until I looked down from my binoculars. Have no idea how long he was there either. Fortunately for me spiders don't bug me too much. Im much more afraid of scorpions!

Brian, I hear ya. There?s a pretty decent buck where I plan to set up off of a spring and he should be awesome this year specially in velvet.

Gator, kitty litter?? Never heard of that but I doubt even if it worked that I want to hike the extra weight down into that canyon with me.

GBA

Ick, ICK, ICKY too all of them creepy crawly critters!! EWWWW!!!! But them I will still hunt just gonna go a hole heck of a lot slower doing more looking from icky's rather than focusing on the game. I am a 6'3" 300# wuss and my wife would agree to that when it comes to these creatures.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I have all three...rattlesnakes, scorpions and spiders...in my yard during the warm months.

I don't like any of them. DEAD ON SIGHT!

If I let them bother me too a lot, I couldn't do much outdoors around here.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

I hate them all but it has never stopped me from hunting in August. We usually run into one or 2 rattlers a year and its like everyone says, just stay back and there is no problem. Now personally I dont hunt out of a blind, i hate them but i do a lot of crawling around on my knees when stalking and every time i come around that next bush i am terrified that ill be face to face with one.

2 years ago while scouting in central Nevada I was fluffing my sleeping bag and out rolled a 4-5" long scorpion... scared the crap out of me and i slept in the truck that night.

I hate bees more that rattlers.. I probably get stung 3 or 4 times a year by those bastards. either while cleaning birds, or sneaking into a fishing hole. I HATE BEES!

One thing in life i can not stand or do its snakes. I would high tale it out of there and never come back. sorry i will find another big buck elsewhere

Snakes don't bother me as much as bats. Sitting in a leopard blind in Africa the bats not sure what kind would fly in the narrow opening about every hour freaked me out as they often would brush your face sat for 6 nights never did get used to it or like it. I don't pick snakes up an I've only been bitten by a bull snake which doesn't have fangs or venom.

I flippin HATE snakes! They always seem to catch you off gaurd ALL the time, I think thats a big part of why I'm not to fond of them. I actually used to drive the country roads looking for the little pricks, then skinning them after I cut their heads off.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

I'm not a big fan of snakes, but I don't think I'd let them stop me from chasing a big buck. They are a fact of life where I live.

Rattlers and tarantulas don't bother me if their not on my lap, but scorpions.
Well that's another matter. Hate them with a passion.

Eldorado

YukonDall, so did you get sick or anything from the bite? I have heard it said that 9 out of 10 snake bites are non-venomous specifically with mature snakes because they will hold back the poison so they have it to kill to eat with. Can anyone confirm that? I don't want to get bit to find out. Heck the fangs on them things alone are pretty darn scary.

GBA

Eldorado, I will go out scorpion hunting tonight around my house. I killed 10 the other night and didn't think to get any pictures of the nasty little criters. My wife is allergic to them, 1 sting and she's headed for the hospital for an anti-serum. If she gets stung one more time I am sure I will be looking for a new place to live so I hunt them every other night to keep the little suckers at bay! I have been stung many times and have gotten smarter hunting them. Don?t wear flip flops to start with anymore! Yep, right on the big toe!

If I get some I will post pics.

GBA

GOTBOWAZ.......NO BIG DEAL, I WAS WEARING KEVLAR LEGGINS AS ALWAYS. WHEN ITS COLD I WONT WEAR THEM................YD.

I doubt the ability of a rattlesnake, with a brain smaller than it's eye, is able to decide to inject poison or not.

There are a lot of what is known as a "dry bite", but they are a condition of circumstance. A strike in defense is usually too fast for a good dose of venom as opposed to a strike delivered in a feeding situation. You will know right away if you are "juiced".

Piss one off by playing with it before it strikes and you will get everything it has in it's arsenal.

We have a HUGE den in the foothills here and there are a chitload of wierdos playing with the snakes every spring.....from some college or another.

I have seen them crawling around on their hands and knees taking pictures, venom samples and measurments.

They get testy when you offer reciepes...or hatbands.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

I consider myself a pretty tough guy but you get me near a snake and I turn into the biggest screaming girl you've ever seen. Not fond of anything that crawls really. My son has a bearded dragon named Liz. She doesn't bug me too much but the other night I was sitting on the floor playing Dirt 2 on the 360 and she crawled up between my legs. I reached down and kinda rubbed the base of her tail. She jumped toward me and I flat hauled azz for the couch screaming like a little b!@ch. My fiance about fell down laughing at me. Not cool.

But, I won't stay away from the outdoors because of snakes. I wear snake boots if I'm hunting warm weather down in the desert. August I'm usually in the pines and they aren't much of an issue up there.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

LAST EDITED ON May-10-11 AT 02:06PM (MST)[p]
CARRY A SNAKE BITE KIT IN YOUR PACK!!! i have been almost bitten twice now by rattlers in the last 3 years. once i was hiking up over a hill walked around a tree and that rattle started buzzing. i swear i felt like micheal jordan that day as it startled me so bad the moment i heard it my instinctive reaction was to jump sideways i lept furthter then i thought i could. as i was in the air and looked down the rattler was striking at me, it all happened so fast just one swift motion. i was half mile from my 4 wheeler and in the middle of nowhere and no phone service, couldd have been bad!
second time was last year, i almost stepped on one it never struck but it was coiled up rattling, cocked and loaded had i not looked down before i set my foot down id been bit. luckily i learned fromn the previous experiece and was packing a snake bite kit so i was prepared.
just remember just cause there dead doesnt mean they are not dangerous, i shot the head off one and the head was still striking. i stuck a stick next to it and it was biting it. i have a video of it on my parents computer next time i am there ill try to remember to post it

1. i carry a snake bite kit always.(there small and light, oh and cheap!)
2. i dont know if it will prevent it but i wear boots that go half way up my shins.
3. i pack a .410 handgun incase i am cornered by one.
4. i try not to let it rule me. the snake bite kit gives me a sense of security!

snakes dont bother me its the filthy rotten mice! nasty nasty nasty! i am a girl when it comes to mice

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom