Good Arrows and Broadheads?

150fighter

I got my first compound bow this Christmas from good ol' Santa. Left hand PSE Bruin 50-70 pound draw weight. I need to get some good arrows and broadheads though. Right now I'm pulling back 50 but I will probably move up to 60 pounds. What weight of arrows should I get, that would be suitable for deer, elk, bear? I was looking at Gold Tip arrows, they any good? And also, what are some good broadheads?

Thanks alot

Use the search feature and you will find all you are looking for many times over on those topics.

Beaman arrows and wack'em broadheads. Go with the 125's and you're ready for any thing and you still have good trajectory for the long shots. Good luck

sagehnter

Gold tip arrows are great arrows. I have been shooting them for years and have no plans on changing. As far as broadheads go there are many good ones, I personaly shoot muzzy's 100 grain.

Take a look at carbon express arrows and 4 blade 100 muzzy heads. The 4 blade head seems to fly better than a 3 blade,(for my setup anyway), and having an extra cutting blade can make a world of difference on a marginal hit....Good luck.

>Take a look at carbon express
>arrows and 4 blade 100
>muzzy heads. The 4 blade
>head seems to fly better
>than a 3 blade

Bingo. I tried muzzy 4 blades for my wifes setup, they fly really good.

-DallanC

I shoot Goldtip arrows and three-blade muzzy 100 grain broadheads. Never had a problem with arrow flight and have better penetration with three-blade vs four-blade.

Most arrow manufactures make several different grades, rated by straightness.
What ever arrow you choose, spend a bit more and get a better grade arrow. Straightness of .003 or better. Also, an arrow that allows a finished arrow weight of 400 grains or more will be easier to tune, and be legal in all states. (300 grain arrow plus 100 grain tip) (Some states have a 400 grain minimum weight).
As far as broad heads, any of the well known manufactures make a good product. Just stay away from the gadgets and trick broad heads. Muzzy, Wasp, Magnus, Stick trick, G-5, Wac Em, Razorcap, just to name a few good ones.
Remember when you go hunting, your bow, tag, and time away from work all cost a lot of money. It doesn't make sense to risk your hunt on cheap arrows and broad heads.

Well my experiences with Gold tips wasn't Good, I've had 2 arrows literally disintegrate after leaving my bow, one about 5ft out and the other at about 10 yds. swithed to easton 340's and no problem since. I also had bad luck with Wac'em's, 100 gr, arrowed 5 pig's, well placed shots and lost them all, switched to 125 gr shuttle-t-lock's and the meat is in the freezer, I mentioned this on another forum and got flamed by Wac'em lover's,I have 50 yrs of bowhunting experience and I know what I'm doing, my bow is tuned properly and the arrows are matched to it and my arrows are placed where they should be.

Brand does not really matter as all the big names make quality products. Correct arrow spine is what really matters. I'd suggest buying what your local shop has. That way they will be sure to set you up with the proper arrow. Any good sharp fixed blade head will do the job if you do yours.

usa, I'd be interested to hear more about your Wac'em experiences. 5 for 5 and all lost? On good hits? No penetration? Did the head come apart? No blood trail? Please explain. I shoot Wac'ems and would like to know how that happened.

BigPig,I shoot a Bowtech liberty set at 61 lbs, my lost pigs were due mostly to poor penetration and meager blood trail, My first pig shot was a sow about 300 lbs at 20 feet, I aimed a little lower than I do on deer and elk and a little further back, I was amazed when I only got about 12 in penetration and no blood trail on what I thought should have been a pass-thru. Same with the other pig's out to 40 yds. My buddy also shooting wac-ems shot a sow and again no blood trail but he did say he hit her a little high. Back at camp we were talking to a bunch of bowhunters and they said that they switched from wacems also because of poor blood trails, they said the wac-ems were ok for deer but to small for pigs.The pig that I got was shot with the shuttle -t-lock at 20 yds in about the same place I always try to shoot and it was a passthru with blood gushing out both holes and she only went about 10 yds before folding up.I spoke to the owner of Wac-em's to see if I was doing something wrong and he said it was a mystery to him. Interestingly I bought my gold tips from Bob Fromme and when I went back to question the arrows performance he switched me to Easton 340's and Shuttle T locks. My buddy killed an elk this year with a shuttle t and I swear it looked like a gunshot wound with the periferal damage to blood vessels. his elk went less than 50 yds with a great blood trail.

Interesting. I buy most of my stuff from Bob too. You live in San Diego? I shot a Wac'em though the spine and shoulder (quartering to, vertical shot out of a tree stand at 33 yards) of a local buck this year and got complete penetration. The head went through a lot of bone and was sticking out the other side ot the lower chest about 14 inches. I do shoot a 415 gr arrow at 70 lbs though.

My brother killed a rifle deer and I took the boned out front shoulders to test. I shot a Wac'em, a Muzzy and a Slick Trick into them and the Wac'em out penetrated the other two by several inches.

My buddy shot a 180lb sow last year high in the shoulder and spine also. No pass though as it lodged in the off shoulder. But it went though the on side shoulder, and through the spine. No exit but the blood trail was still pretty good.

Hogs are tough and wierd things happen. I'm just suprised to see it happen so many times for you.

T Locks are great heads. I just don't like the way they are hard to sharpen and the replacemnt blades cost a lot (not to mention the price of the entire head). There is only 3/32" difference in diameter between them and the Wac'ems. I'm not sure if this would really put a whole lot more blood on the ground, given the same shot placement.

Anyhow, I've shot Wac'ems (and Slick Tricks) since before Bob came out with the T Lock. They fly great for me and I've had good results. I aint fixing what aint broke.

Try carbon express arrows and Montex G-5 broadheads 100 grains. They are 1 piece and fly excellent.

All make good products but I like fixed blade heads. I would shoot a arrow that is legal in weight first, over 400gr second, a FOC around 10-12%, and helical fletching. Even if I had to shoot a heaver broadhead keep the FOC correct. I shoot Gold Tip and 100gr 3 blade Muzzy. I also stone the the tips down to a ceramic super fine level, and leather strop the blades to make then sharper. I have tested on several materials and the penetration is almost twice as easy with my "extra" sharp heads. Only shot deer but all pass through including shoulder blades.

BigPig, I live up in Rainbow, you're right about price but Wac'ems aren't cheap either. I don't know if size on the broadhead is as important maybe as design, the T's make a nasty hole, Good hunting.

I still use aluminum arrows but looking to switch to carbon. As far as broadheads I arrowed my first deer this year with slick tricks and wack!! They worked very well. 100 grain slick tricks for me! But I'm sure that all that is listed here works well and use what feels good to you. Goodluck!

Clyde