Good bb gun for hunting

DonVathome

Very Active Member
What is a good .22 cal. bb gun to target shoot with and do some small game hunting with? I am looking to spend $200 to $250 (not including a scope) I want a good bb gun powerfull enough for squrriels and bunnies. I also want good quality and a single ##### design.

A kid friendly gun would be another bonus.

I know almost nothing about bb guns since my last .177 25 years ago.

Thanks

RWS or Beeman are probably the best single kock spring piston type but there are some nice guns that have compressed air tanks but I cant think of the brands.

I have noticed that the cheaper spring piston guns (even in the better brands) have pretty lousy triggers. Dont know if it gets better as price goes up or not.?.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

Thanks FYI I am not interested in compressed air tanks - since I suspect I will need to fill it before use and not leave it "charged".

I want something I can pick up anytime and shoot accurately & quickly with no work involved.

I think they (or some ) come with a pump?

But I hear you. I would look at the two above in the price point your at.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

The pre-charge pneumatics are out of your indicated price range.

They can be filled using a hand pump or by using a k-valve adaptor and a scuba tank.

They can be stored under pressure for extended periods of time. The amount of bleed off (if any)is dependant on the quality of your mechanism and the condition of your seals. Operating pressures can exceed 3000psi.

Compressed air typically delievers more power and more consistancy then CO2.

Higher end air rifles have trigger pulls a little better then the previously mentioned "bb guns",lol.

If you get a spring actuated, do not grip the gun tightly or it probably will not group well for you. Use an open hand stance and try to just roll with the recoil of the gun. If you get a scope, be sure that the scope is designed to be used on a spring type gun. If you plan on using a scope, a fixed barrel gun will be more accurate. An inexpensive break action will eventually have the point of impact drift because the scope is mounted to the piston housing and not the barrel. It will only be accurate as long as the barrel indexes to the same location as it was sighted in for.

Good luck and have fun!

I've got a Gamo 'whisper' (or something like that) break action that I put the hammer on the groundsquirrels around my Honey's horse property with. I have the .17, but they make a .22 model as well. Been using the Gamo scope that came with it, haven't felt the need to replace it yet.

Accuracy is great with the right pellets, mine likes the heavy (10 gr) RWS flat nose Supermags. Crap pellets will shoot all over the place out of most any rifle. The lead free PBA pellets are fast (sonic crack out of this gun), but accuracy beyond 35 yards is pretty questionable.

The furthest I've killed a squirrel at is 73 yards (10 gr RWS)...didn't penetrate skull, but it did smack him hard enough to bug his eyes out of his head. Not quite an instant kill, but he piled up after flopping around a few seconds. Penetration on head shots is solid out to around 50 yards.

The trigger is pretty creepy, but not completely hideous.

I can't remeber how much the package was, but I think it's in your bracket.

Good Luck!

I never knew that the .22 were called airguns! Good info guys, so basically you are saying the spring loaded are going to "jump" a little vs air?

I've had great luck with RWS pellet guns. Just remember a "springer" needs an airgun designed scope. A springer will destroy a conventional scope in no time at all, due to reverse recoil.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-12 AT 11:33PM (MST)[p]Don...Check out these guys. A lot of good info. Great people to deal with. Robert really knows his stuff. They are located in Gilbert, AZ.

(edit)...Oh yeah, and I bet the link would be helpful also!

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/

Paul-Crawford +1 , my Benjamin .177 caliber has lasted me 16 years, accurate , powerful and just don't get any better . I've knocked down hundreds of rabbits and tons of Feral cats w/ mine , skunks, even raccoons .

Why a good bb gun? Just use a good 22 LR. Unless you are in the city limits. If this is the case? I use a Gamo adult air rifle.
It is a one pump rifle and shoots a 177 cal raptor pellet out at 1200 fps. Does good out to 60 yards.

+1 for the Benjamin. I have put thousands of pellets through mine. Its probably not as fast as the other ones but Its super reliable and accurate.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

I use a benjamin Trail NP.22 cal pellet gun. i picked it up last year and it seems to shoot pretty well. It is the wood stock and break action type. I am not sold on the scope it came with in the package, may need to upgrade it at some point. shoots plenty fast for me and for chasing pot guts

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom