Good Book On Bullets

cbeard

Very Active Member
Guys-

Am reading a book called "Rifle Bullets For The Hunter" by several well-known gun writers (Barsness,Boddington,Spomer, Towsley,Mann & Haviland). I am really learning alot.

A few good points:

1)There is no one bullet for every situation so don't look for it. The use the bullet is to be put is the key;

2)Even the same bullet acts differently at various distances/speeds i.e. a bullet that may practically disinegrate on contact at muzzle velocity could retain most of it's weight and perform well at longer range/slower speeds;

3)Old standby more economical bullets like Winchester soft points, Remington Core-Lokts, etc. are still perhaps the best bullets for deer-sized game;

4)Tests show encountering bone on deer-sized game has much less impact on bullet performance than traditionally thought; and

5)No one factor (sectional density,weight retention, expansion,etc.) tells the whole story. Everything works together and must be looked at together.

I'm sure most of you guys already know this stuff but I found the book very helpful to my understanding of how various bullets perform under different conditions. I recommend it to you if you have not read it and are interested in the subject.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom