Good Knives...

H

Hunterted

My wife and I butcher our deer and elk at home and we have decided we really need to get the correct tools. We've been using a filet knife and our hunting knives and they work ok however, I think buying some knives designed for the job would give us better meat and make things easier.

What knifes and tools do you use to butcher your deer? also, what sharpeners have you had success with?

I use Forschner knives. They make great boning and skinners and they are cheap. Good steel and with a diamond rod and a steel will stay razor sharp. I used to give them away to butchers when I was in the grocery biz and they loved them.

I second that motion on Forschner knives. If you go into your local butcher that is the knive that they use.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-06 AT 04:26PM (MST)[p]I use 'old hickory' knives, but I may have to check out the Forschners
(edited for spelling of Forschner)

good topic...something i've been wondering about. thanks for bringing it up. those forschner knives are inexpensive and i should pick a few up...which ones does everyone recommend for processing deer.
thanks for the advice

Wow. I'm surprised the Forschners are so popular. All the sport boats in San Diego use them, so I started using them for filleting tuna. Just kept right on using them for big game butchering too.

Made my own. Tempered ATS 34 steel. I rough sharpen it on a belt sander and finish on steel...holds an edge thru an elk at least.

Several things to look for in selecting those knives. If you are the type that uses the dishwasher to clean your knives, and maybe a little lax on hand cleaning after use, I would stay away from any of the carbon steel knives. They will rust or stain under the above conditions. You may want stainless steel instead. Several of the new stainless steels, S30V is one example, are very pricey and you will not want to pay the price for a set of knives made from S30v.
I would select 440C stainless steel, but stay away from 440A and 440B, or any knife advertised as 440 stainless. the latter are not that good for keeping a good sharp edge.
Any knife maker using 440C steel in his knives will list it as 440C because they know that 440C is superior to the the other 440 types.
I would invest in a good kitchen knife steel and use it often to keep the sharp edge.
You may want to get three knives to cover everything, a small paring knife, a small to med knife with a curved cutting edge for skinning, and a med size Chef's knife for slicing of those great steaks.

RELH

I now use Cold Steel knives for everything. They might cost a little more than your average knife but worth it in every way.
Ever watch thier video? Very impressive.
http://www.coldsteel.com/

"RKBA....ALL THINGS CONSIDERED"

Outside of field dressing and quartering, I use professional quality kitchen knives. The carbon blends take on an edge easier and aren't a pain in the arse to sharpen like a pure stainless knife.

For boning, I love the flexible boning knives. This is what I was taught to use by a Master Butcher from Germany.

31024-140B.jpg

For slicing steaks out of tenderloins, strip loins etc....I like to use a "hollow" edge since it creates less suction and allows a smooth cut.

31039-200B.jpg

I prefer a full tang, three rivet design. They hold up better. Also as previously said...NEVER put your knives in the dishwasher!

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Have to add, invest in a good quality steel and learn how to use it. It will keep an edge on your blade throughout the butchering process. Since you say you already butcher your own meat, I suspect you are good with the steel, in which case, invest in a diamond finishing steel.

32525-260B.jpg

As you guessed, I prefer Zwilling J.A. Henckels.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

GLOBAL, awesome, awesome knifes. Went through an 1800# bison, cape, gut, bone, process (field to freezer) with a 9" kitchen and a 4" paring with minor touchup with fine steel. Thats what I am taking on moose hunt, no sheaths unless you make one, I just wrap them in an extra shirt or socks and keep them in my pack.

life IS good

Chef you are right on, I have the 5 1/2 in. flex boning and a 8 in. chefs both are Henckels Professionals they are the best knives I have ever owned. Hold a nice edge and with a couple of laps on the diamond edge and they are ready to go. They are not cheap but will last a life time.

Dan

I've been thinking about trying to butcher my own game the next time I get one. Just wondering if someone could recomend a instructions or how to video?

I've been a butcher for 28 years.
Get yourself a 10" Forschner steak knife and a six or eight inch boning knife.
Get a good steel to keep that edge straight.
I brought that little boning knife and steel to Alaska and caped, skinned & boned four bull caribou in one day in no time to the amazement of my buddy who paid four or five times as much for his knife!
Forget the hype & get what the pro's use.
harryhunter50103-3.jpg

harryhunter50103-9.jpg

Great Info. Thanks. I got to give it a shot. Anyone willing to share some good sausage blends? I've had antelope that was made into sausage and man it was excellent.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom