good moose unit

D

doubleA

Looking for a good moose unit.
Any suggestions? are pref points needed?

Or should I save my money and go to Wyoming?

Aaron

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-08 AT 01:03PM (MST)[p]You have zero chance of drawing a bull moose tag in Colorado until you have 3 preference points. Following that, you will have a chance, but slim and getting slimmer without having gotten in on the ground floor of the weighted points. The max number of weighted points is currently 7. So on your fourth year (the first year you would have a chance) I and many others will have 10 weighted points.

And if you are a non-resident, your odds got even worse.

You could probably draw a moose tag in WY before you ever draw one in CO. Hope you're young, cause it will take a long time in WY and maybe never in CO.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-08 AT 01:05PM (MST)[p]You will not have a chance to draw a tag in CO until you have accumulated three preference points. Then, if you're a non-resident, you're odds will only be slightly better than impossible. Seven bull tags went to non-residents last year.

Edit: DesertSheep beat me to it.

yes, i am a res. Was planning on putting in for pref points for the next few years.
now which unit is perfered?

North Park units, but don't get your hopes up too high. I'm about 6 years ahead of you in the draw, and I don't expect to draw for a long, long time. You'd probably draw more quickly in WY as a non-resident, with the increase in the price of points there, but it will cost a lot of money.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-08 AT 03:12PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-08 AT 03:11 PM (MST)

I've been applying since day 1 for a Colorado moose. I've got the max number of weighed points, maybe someday. I applied for WY back when it was $7 for a point------7 years later I drew a tag. I got my WY bull outside of Big Piney. Unit 24, not a huge bull but good enough for me. CB

FYI---WY points are $75 a point now. I'll be applying for unit 6, this year in Colorado.

Never have been in any moose unit in the state except unit 181. I have seen younger bulls throughout the unit near the border of 17 and 181. Very visible near the roads. Good luck drawing, I'm at max weighted points as well.

I posted this about a month ago under a different topic. I should add that my hunting partner saw a very large bull in the same area and in 2006 I saw 4 bull moose (2 very nice) in an open drainage swale at first light.

I was Elk Hunting in Unit 28 (1st season) and happened into a once in a life time moose encounter. It was opening morning (before the snow started coming down) and I was walking on a jeep trail down Little Muddy Creek when I head some noise behind me. It was 5 moose (2 cows, a calf, and 2 young bulls)and they were following me down the road. I stepped off to the side just to see how close they would come, at about 30 yards I got a little nervous so I stepped back onto the road thinking they would scramble, but they didn't, they just moved about 20 yards into the woods and continued to walk right past me. Over the next 1 mile I ended up seeing 20 moose (6 bulls), the farthest one away couldn't have been more than 75 yards. I was so close to one of the young bulls that I could see his pupils. I usually don't carry a camera with me when I hunt as I don't want to jinx myself, but I sure wish I had one handy that morning. The moose ended up crossing the creek thru some beaver ponds and back into the timber on the other side.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom