Good OR bull

robinsg61le

My buddy and I glassed this bull from a good 1.5 miles right at daylight. We dropped in on him by about noon and we were able to get our shooter setup for a 430 yd shot by about 1:00 PM. The first shot was low but the bull was hit. After he humped up, he hung his head and was frozen not knowing where the shot came from. The final shot hit him right behind the shoulder and he dropped like a ton of bricks.

We had hiked in almost 3 hours to get to this bull so it was a lot of work getting him out. We made it back to camp at 4:30 AM the next morning.

This bull scores 341 5/8 green.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/4899img00005-20101106-1421.jpg

AWESOME!!!! Congrats to whoever killed this fine bull!

Oregon is pulling out some dandy's this year...

muleyman

Nice, what unit may I ask, I missed a Bull with similar per portion 340ish in Murds creek, I feel like puking every time I re-live the missed Shot...

Well done!

Matt
"Opportunity is missed by most people
because its dressed in overalls
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

If you've ever been to Mt Emily or Wenaha you would know it's not either by the pic. But Jeff and I know where it is, so I'll let him tell. Or you could just say Eastern Oregon like some on here.

Eastern Oregon it is. Sorry I can't give a whole lot more detail than that boys... Besides Elk numbers are up all over Eastern Oregon right now. I know a number of guys that killed uncharacteristically large bulls this year. I'm not sure that any particular unit is surging right now more than the others.

I'd argue about elk numbers being up but I guess it depends on from what point in time you're talking, but I'm sure the number of book class bulls is down from the 70's and 80's.

On the large ranches in the central and central eastern part of the state 300-350 class are not real uncommon, and if one wonders off onto public most of the time thats how they got there. I live and hunt in the Ochoco and Grizzly units and I haven't heard of a big bull being taken of the USFS this year, not to say there wasn't but there used to always be several. actually the last 5 years have seemed to be less impressive each year.

Was this bull taken on public or private land if you don't mind saying? in any event he's nice .

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-10 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]Sorry I'm a bit confused.

You said, "My buddy and I glassed this bull from a good 1.5 miles right at daylight. We dropped in on him by about noon and we were able to get OUR SHOOTER setup".

Were you guiding this person, or is it your's? Just curious...not knocking anyone or anything this is a great bull, just wanting clarification.

Also it was Wenaha...Outback Outfitters???

Congrats again...

muleyman

I'm just a regular jerk-off... Not a guide. I have a group of guys I hunt with and we try to get no more than 1 tag per year in our unit of choice so that the others can focus their time glassing for the guy with the tag. Then, we all get to go hunting almost every year (even though only one guy gets to shoot). It's not quite that fool-proof, but it works much of the time. As you can probably tell, I don't realy care if I get to shoot or not... I'm happy to jump in the picture anyway! (that's me in the picture I posted) After listening to me recant the "big bull" story yet again today, my wife said, "you get as excited as if it was your bull." She was kidding, but also correct. For me, it's all about the hunt. And, as far as I'm concerned every bull our team gets becomes part of me regardless of who pulled the trigger... not pushing my approach on anyone, it just works for me.

Not a Wenaha or Mt. Emily bull. If it was, I would post it because we wouldn't be going back for many years anyway. We only hunt public ground, so we have to scout hard, and are usually hiking an hour or two before light each day. I generally don't do much glassing if I am within an hour or so of a road. I'm sure I miss a lot of good country with my approach, but I hardly ever glass another hunter either.

The other guys in my hunting party want nothing to do having their pictures on the internet so I could only post my picture.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-10 AT 10:45PM (MST)[p]I'm sure my comment on the surge in elk numbers is very relative. I was still jumping my bmx over bricks and plywood in the 80's and I was an egg waiting to be hatched through most of the 70's. I hear that OR hunting was much, much, better before my time, especially for mule deer.

In the past 5 years I have noticed a surge in overall elk numbers and mature bull numbers in Eastern Oregon. That is compared to the numbers of elk I saw from about 1990 to 2005. Who knows; I'm not a scientist - just a guy that likes to hike and glass, maybe I've been lucky the last 5 years. It just seeems like I've gotten into a lot more elk than I used to.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-10 AT 07:32AM (MST)[p]>I'm sure my comment on the
>surge in elk numbers is
>very relative. I was still
>jumping my bmx over bricks
>and plywood in the 80's
>and I was an egg
>waiting to be hatched through
>most of the 70's. I
>hear that OR hunting was
>much, much, better before my
>time, especially for mule deer.
>
>
>In the past 5 years I
>have noticed a surge in
>overall elk numbers and mature
>bull numbers in Eastern Oregon.
>That is compared to the
>numbers of elk I saw
>from about 1990 to 2005.
>Who knows; I'm not a
>scientist - just a guy
>that likes to hike and
>glass, maybe I've been lucky
>the last 5 years. It
>just seeems like I've gotten
>into a lot more elk
>than I used to.

sooo your saying it was not a Murds crk bull?....don't worry i won't draw it again for another 5 years......

I commend your attitude and the fact you can have a great time hunting even if you're not carrying a gun. I see way too often a group with one tag and 4 hunters, 4 hunters with guns.

The increase in decent bulls in the part of the state you're hunting in ( the background and size of bull narrow it to 4 or 5 units ) is due to the reduced tag numbers over the last 6 or 8 years. but the 350+ bulls are still not showing up near as often as they used to.

We'll have to see where the elk numbers go from here. we have a serious problem with over hunting the cows in order to satisfy the private land owners and the very same landowners not letting anyone hunt on their land. I'm not knocking the landowners I'm one myself, but it's going to limit how many elk the region can have we'll probably never get back to the numbers we used to enjoy.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-10 AT 04:02PM (MST)[p]Geoff, I think what you'll find as you get older is that the Elk numbers and hunter numbers cycle up and down. People tend to congregate in an area for several years then as they hunt and move the animals out, they move to another area. When a cpl generations of Elk have passed they move back into this "new" area and the cycle repeats.
I have a Topo map of Aldrich Mt. I bought from the U of O bookstore in 1975 ( still has the sticker on it). Back then it was one of the hot spots. It died out then came back in popularity. Black Canyon is the same way. Same for the Strawberries.