Good Public Land DIY Whitetail Hunt?

RidgeRebel

I am really wanting a chance to hunt whitetail deer, but I can't afford a private land hunt. Is there anywhere to hunt public land do it yourself whitetail deer? Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob

I haven't done it myself, but I hear good things about the whitetail hunting in northern Idaho. Seasons are long, tags are easy to get (OTC), and there is a lot of public land. One day ill pick up one of those tags when I really strike out in the draws.

If you have friends or contacts in Ohio, go there. Monster Bucks all over the state. Alot of National Forrest in this state. You can even knock on doors of land owners and get permission for free. Or pay a small tresspass fee. Many people in this area thinks its crazy to pay $2000-$4000 to hunt a deer. Old fashion people with old fashion beliefs. Nothing in the West compares to hunting Whitetails in the Mid-West. The size and quality od Deer is much better.

anywhere in the upper mid-west. (MN, WI, ND, MI, SD) all have lots of whitetail and public land (ND & SD dont' have lots of public land).

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

There are great areas in Iowa as well which are often over looked since most folks are seeking the private land hunts. Public lands are not plentiful but there are some good tracts which have awesome whitetail hunting with a bow. Check out the Loess Hills, Missouri River valley, and the Mississippi River. If you are willing to put in some research time and add some creativity like maybe using a boat to get into your hunting area you may just have a one of the most incredible whitetail hunting experiences offered in the Midwest. The Iowa Sportsman's Atlas is the best map I've found so far outlining the public lands and might be the best resource I have found so far.

http://www.sportsmanatlas.com/iowa/atlas/iowa_sportsmans_atlas.html

Good luck in your quest...

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

West River So Dak.
Western side of No Dak.
Fairview Mont.
Milk River area Mont.
Eastern Colo.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Blackhills of SD, Blackhills of WY, Eastern Montana, Dillon Montana...

You need to say what state you are looking in.

Colombia whitetails in Washington, cous whitetails in AZ

May want to check both ND and MT in regards to what EHD has done to the Whitetail numbers.

Still big deer to be had but it isn't like it was pre 2010.

Nemont

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom