Good Start to 2015

nmtaxi

Very Active Member
After a pretty un-eventful 2014, my son got things started pretty quick in early January, 2015. He is a Marine stationed at the Marine Barracks in Washington D.C., and was able to find some decent hunting opportunities in the area. It's a whole different kind of hunting out in Maryland, mostly on properties less than 3 acres.
This buck he killed with a crossbow...
DCD2_zpsjzz9gsqa.jpg

And the doe was his first archery kill...
WTDBOW_zpssepstqpu.jpg

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was invited to a friends ranch in the hill country of Texas for free-range axis deer and hogs. No luck on the hogs. Saw some big axis bucks that I could never quite get on. Finally got this young buck still in soft velvet. Not the biggest, butI was plenty happy with it. Hopefully I can go back for a bigger one in the future. But not bad for a $48 license and a few tanks of gas.

ad3_zps2i7yrk1x.jpg

ad4_zpsigtt61n8.jpg

nmtaxi,
Nice deer! Tell your son he needs to travel across the bay to Delmarva on the Maryland side.
A few guys from Illinois have said the area looks a lot like their state. The deer are a lot bigger, and he can hunt(Marsh Ghost) Sika in Dorchester County.. Also he might try fishing/crabbing the Delaware or Chesapeake Bay. If Marlin or Tuna season is inn, that's always a blast ocean side.

Sika
8631pict0481.jpg

Tell him not to miss the early stripe bass season. April early may is the best time to fish for big stripers on the Chesapeake
5531rock.jpg

This is a very nice distraction from the agony of waiting out the draw. Much thanks; very nice animals/pics all around.

Junior, I don't know much about sika deer, but those look like some nice stags. My son is hoping to get leave in early September to hunt those critters.

They are very nocturnal! I don't know how many times I have drew my bow back on a stag only to realize I couldn't see through the peep.
Feel free to PM me if you guys need any info.

Paul, he caught that fish right out of the Potomac within walking distance of the barracks.

Here are some other photos I took in the hill country. I was really amazed how many of these animals are now free-ranging. Saw a lot of axis deer and blackbuck in low-fence areas. I thought those animals only lived behind high fences.

DSCN0689_zpsee6mt46w.jpg

axis%20fawns_zpsklhokxul.jpg

Another small critter that had made a home out an abandoned hunting blind..

ringtail%20cat_zpsiwtqx8ir.jpg

Then, there are always these pets...

hfd_zpsf9ftpwyf.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom