Good Unit For Hunting Cow Elk

Cow Tag

Planning on hunting in Colorado in 2014. We are wanting to hunt for cow elk. Any advice to a group of older hunters looking to put some elk meat into the freezers and also to enjoy the pleasure of hunting in Colorado. We have a good camp set up and we would hunt on public land. Rifle or black powder but not archery hunting. You could private message me with info if you prefer. Thanks, Cow Tag

Please tell me you are kidding.....

If not, a link?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>A $100 increase on NR cow
>tags is absurd.

What is absurd is everyone whining about the increase. They reduced cow tag prices back when the elk numbers were way up and we needed to convince people to kill more. Now our populations are closer to desired levels thus we can price them up. In all of this it was absurd we had NRA paying so little considering the budget mess the parks and wildlife are in. I love how everyone complains about a 100 dollar increase yet they show up driving a $40,000 truck with a $20,000 camper and 5 ATVs. Yet the $100 is the break the bank line. Still a deal to hunt elk as a b list and still be under $500

What about resident fee's, did they go up?
didn't see it on the link.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

While the $100 dollar increase may or may not be a deal breaker for me, total cost to hunt out-of-state for me is becoming prohibitive. With most state trying to balance the budget on the backs of non-residents while not increasing resident fees there are many of us working guy/gals who may reach the breaking point soon.

>While the $100 dollar increase may
>or may not be a
>deal breaker for me, total
>cost to hunt out-of-state for
>me is becoming prohibitive. With
>most state trying to balance
>the budget on the backs
>of non-residents while not increasing
>resident fees there are many
>of us working guy/gals who
>may reach the breaking point
>soon.

I'd love Colorado?s big game populations to increase because of unfilled tag numbers, but guarantee another NR would quickly take your place.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-13 AT 02:43PM (MST)[p]That kind of help me make up my mind,pref point for me this year.
Bull or either sex tags must of stayed the same price.I didn't see any increase.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-13 AT 04:08PM (MST)[p]>>A $100 increase on NR cow
>>tags is absurd.
>
>
>What is absurd is everyone whining
>about the increase. They reduced
>cow tag prices back when
>the elk numbers were way
>up and we needed to
>convince people to kill more.
>Now our populations are closer
>to desired levels thus we
>can price them up. In
>all of this it was
>absurd we had NRA paying
>so little considering the budget
>mess the parks and wildlife
>are in. I love how
>everyone complains about a 100
>dollar increase yet they show
>up driving a $40,000 truck
>with a $20,000 camper and
>5 ATVs. Yet the $100
>is the break the bank
>line. Still a deal to
>hunt elk as a b
>list and still be under
>$500

I don't like it and I am going to complain about it. Don't personally call that whining, but to each his own. Not that it will do any good as it seems as though it is a done deal and nonresidents have no clout, UNLESS THEY STAY AWAY. I may stay away next fall as the only method of trying to show my displeasure that might make a difference. The last time we did that, they reduced the price.

It is probably not a deal breaker for me price wise, but it may be the tipping point and makes hunting a bull or an either sex tag more palatable, so that will increase the pressure on bulls. Ready to see more bull hunters in the field?

And to answer the question: "Did residents see an increase"? Of course not. They can change ours with a simple regulatory vote. Residents changes have to be passed by the legislature.

Cowtag: yes, they increased the bull/either sex from $585 to $600.

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-13 AT 08:23PM (MST)[p]Didn't think it was very long, but went back and it was only 2010 when the raised it from $250 to $350, so up $200 in the last 4 years.

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-13 AT 10:01PM (MST)[p]Yes but they only reduced the price to lower herd numbers. Herd numbers down we are selling fewer cow tags so prices go up. I do not disagree that we are ready for res increase as well...

Sorry it hits you but nonresidents still have it pretty good in Colorado. Maybe we should start charging $70 for a pp like WY... Then your tag could get real expensive pretty fast.

That is why they say the reduced the price, but you and I both know they screwed up, raised the price too high and no one came to the party, so after one year, they reduced the price to woo us back. It worked. But now, almost doubling the price in 4 years, just doesn't sit well from NR perspective.

I love govt: Announce you want to do less business so you are raising pricing so you can make the same money while selling less product. Wish I could do that in my business. My clients would go elsewhere.

Not sure what other "license" fees may be involved, but Wyoming and Monatana charge less than $300 for a cow tag.

And I don't buy preference points, I hunt.

txhunter58

Not deal breaker to me but I'm certain it is for my group. There will still be an orange vest behind every tree so our going else where will mean nothing to Colorado but I'm sure our money will be welcome else where.

Semper Fi

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-13 AT 08:13AM (MST)[p]For me,if I decided to apply this year,I would go for a bull or either sex tag over a cow tag for an extra 150 dollars. I have found a bull is easier to call in than a cow.
I enjoy muzzleloader season in Colorado .

>For me,if I decided to apply
>this year,I would go for
>a bull or either sex
>tag over a cow tag
>for an extra 150 dollars.
>I have found a bull
>is easier to call in
>than a cow.
>I enjoy muzzleloader season in Colorado
>,hope I do not get
>priced out.

Well that is perfect. The idea is to increase cash flow to the state so if you all upgrade to a more expensive tag then we get more money for the state. I know no one likes increases but I am afraid we will soon be seeing a push for increases in Colorado. This should be for both Residents and no alike.

To me it is not the extra dollars as it is my ageing body.Getting hard to chase elk in the high country.But I still like it ,just can't do what I once did. Guess it happens to all of us someday.

>Well that is perfect. The idea
>is to increase cash flow
>to the state so if
>you all upgrade to a
>more expensive tag then we
>get more money for the
>state. I know no one
>likes increases but I am
>afraid we will soon be
>seeing a push for increases
>in Colorado. This should be
>for both Residents and no
>alike.

I think it will be a mix of some dropping out and some buying a bull/either-sex tag so it will probably even out. However, that means you will have MORE bull/either-sex hunters in the already crowded field.

txhunter58

>
>>Well that is perfect. The idea
>>is to increase cash flow
>>to the state so if
>>you all upgrade to a
>>more expensive tag then we
>>get more money for the
>>state. I know no one
>>likes increases but I am
>>afraid we will soon be
>>seeing a push for increases
>>in Colorado. This should be
>>for both Residents and no
>>alike.
>
>I think it will be a
>mix of some dropping out
>and some buying a bull/either-sex
>tag so it will probably
>even out. However, that means
>you will have MORE bull/either-sex
>hunters in the already crowded
>field.
>
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

Not really all either sex tags are limited and as a result the total number of tags will stay the same. We will see fewer left over either sex tags and more left over cow tags... Maybe but not more hunters over all without a tag increase.

It is sad that a lot of hunting camps aren't following the rules. To them a bull tag means hunt bulls until that tag is filled then onto filling cow tags. I wonder how many bulls are poached this way a year and slide under any suspicion of wrong doing. I am not talking about res or non res each group has it's bad apples.

Contender, please explain your point further on to a degree. Do you mean that some hunters will kill a bull and then put their cow tag on the carcass? I cannot catch the theme of your post...need a little educating. Thanks.

What I think he is saying is that some groups have bull and cow tags and they "party" hunt. Whoever sees the first cow shoots it and vice versa for bulls. Sometimes extra ones get shot that way and left

txhunter58

I talked with several friends who say the new cow tag fee is too high for a cow, if they go it will be on an OTC bull tag. That will only increase the number in the pumpkin patch during 2nd and 3rd seasons if that sentiment is held by lots of NR. Time will tell????

>
>Not really all either sex tags
>are limited and as a
>result the total number of
>tags will stay the same.
>We will see fewer left
>over either sex tags and
>more left over cow tags...
>Maybe but not more hunters
>over all without a tag
>increase.

Not exactly true either, what I should have said is that there will be more competition for the either sex RIFLE tags in the draw and there will be more OTC bull RIFLE hunters in the woods.

Personally I may switch from a cow muzzleloading tag almost every year to an EITHER SEX OTC archery tag

txhunter58

>
>>
>>Not really all either sex tags
>>are limited and as a
>>result the total number of
>>tags will stay the same.
>>We will see fewer left
>>over either sex tags and
>>more left over cow tags...
>>Maybe but not more hunters
>>over all without a tag
>>increase.
>
>Not exactly true either, what I
>should have said is that
>there will be more competition
>for the either sex RIFLE
>tags in the draw and
>there will be more OTC
>bull RIFLE hunters in the
>woods.
>
>Personally I may switch from a
>cow muzzleloading tag almost every
>year to an EITHER SEX
>OTC archery tag
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

That's a good idea. Nothing wrong with that logic. Of course you will still giving more for a tag with a much lower success rate.

Either way the tag numbers will adjusted accordingly and managers will still look at local herds and eventually adjust tag numbers as needed.

I am not too concerned as I am certain we will still sell the tags. Remember the hole boycott Colorado stuff. As much as I wished it had happened. It does not appear that it did. And for those that did not come it appears they must have been replaced with others.

"That's a good idea. Nothing wrong with that logic. Of course you will still giving more for a tag with a much lower success rate."

Not where I hunt! And I am addicted to golden aspens and bugling bulls! This year we were 2 for 3. After a missfire early in the season, I killed a cow elk with my muzzy. I then called called in 3 different bulls for another in our group who killed the 3rd bull with a bow at 20 yards. The last of our group had two 20 yard shot missfires with his muzzy. He ate his tag. Was really rainy this year!

I have always been satisfied with a cow because of the reduced price and was content to hunt a bull every 3-4 years, but may go to hunting a bull every year.

And you are right, if more bull hunters kill more bulls, they will have to reduce all our tag numbers even more.

txhunter58

>Hunt as much as you can
>while you can cause you
>can't spend it when your
>dead....
>
>Each year is precious

At 55 years old, ain't that the truth!!

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-13 AT 06:44AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-13 AT 06:42?AM (MST)

I agree . At my age I still enjoy every hunting trip.

I know how to stop this arguement on the License Fees increasing. Change residency from "6 months" to "born and raised in Colorado" or maybe "live in Colorado 40 plus years" to get resident licenses.
I've lived in Colorado for 30 plus years and I would pay non resident fees to support wildlife. If the sportsmen don't help to change things to support wildlife and the 2014 election goes the wrong way, I think we will see a bill run in 2015 to go to sales tax funded wildlife. At several different CWP Commission Meetings it was talked about looking at the future of wildlife funding with a sales tax. If that happens, and you were at the US Fish and Game Hearing on Wolves in Denever, you would understand this statement!! Bye Bye Hunting, Hello Wolves!!! My thoughts and two cents.

>I know how to stop this
>arguement on the License Fees
>increasing. Change residency from "6
>months" to "born and raised
>in Colorado" or maybe "live
>in Colorado 40 plus years"
>to get resident licenses.
>I've lived in Colorado for 30
>plus years and I would
>pay non resident fees to
>support wildlife. If the sportsmen
>don't help to change things
>to support wildlife and the
>2014 election goes the wrong
>way, I think we will
>see a bill run in
>2015 to go to sales
>tax funded wildlife. At several
>different CWP Commission Meetings it
>was talked about looking at
>the future of wildlife funding
>with a sales tax. If
>that happens, and you were
>at the US Fish and
>Game Hearing on Wolves in
>Denever, you would understand this
>statement!! Bye Bye Hunting, Hello
>Wolves!!! My thoughts and two
>cents.

Bud,

Your right. I have been pushing to get a group formed to present and push a right to hunting law. One that would protect hunting as we know it in this state. So far I have a of people agree that we need it. Something that protects all the hunting privledges we have now. And use that language that would make it very difficult for the anti hunters to shut down any form hunting currently legal.

So far no one has wanted to step up. Hell we have right to farm bills, why not a right to hunt. Hell expand it a little bit and include other recreation opportunities. For example motorized recreation, water travel etc. Protect rafting, 4 wheeling etc. Basically make it to where our state can not easily write legislation to ban or prevent certain activities. This would allow the DNR to use tax based money while still protecting hunting rights etc.

We really need the CBA, Mule Deer Foundation, NRA, BHA, etc. to all get on board. Many people claim that habitat is the key to hunting, while that is true, people are our own enemies. I am far more scared of the idiots on teh front range than I am of habitat loss. Just look at Cali. to see where we are heading if we do nothing at all.

Seriously. Unfortunately I am not smart enough, lawyer enough to pull it off. But if we do get the legal protections in for hunting, we can protect it is if/when we rely on general funds!!!

Sorry nobody really answered your question on a good unit for a cow, but lot of talk about NR increase. I may not like paying more but compared to the hunting leases in Texas, hunting Colorado is still cheaper. I only returned to hunting Colorado elk 2 years ago, after a 35 year absence. The last two years I have not fired a shot but enjoyed every minute in the mountains. I have already submitted my application for my tag and can't wait until I can return to the magnificant mountains. We are so lucky to live in a Country where we can pursue the game animal of out choice. I will pay the price and drive 1200 miles and appreciate it. Thanks Colorado.

If the extra fees would actually go to improve our wildlife, then maybe it could be swallowed without water. Extra money will go into someones wallet . Just heard they are 135 million short and there is less kid participation. Let's see if they get rid of Parks and trim some fat. My family Homesteaded here in the 1800's and I think 450 is a crock for a Cow. Yes , people will pay it. It will also chase some away. They really are not good at Wildlife management or money management. Tabor does have some effects. Late Cow in 3,301 can be good.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-14 AT 05:48PM (MST)[p]Comparing leases in Texas to Colorado hunting is apples and oranges. I hunt both. Yep a hunting lease in Texas is not cheap, but you can hunt from around October 1st to the first weekend in January for game amimals, and you can shoot 4-5 whitetail, 4 turkeys, javelinas, doves,etc. and year round for unlimited exotics and hogs, etc. You are also not competing with other hunters on public land.

Generally, for the price, you get to hunt Colorado maybe 1 week and have to jump through some hoops to outcompete other hunters on public land.

I do both every year, and love each of them for different reasons, but you can't compare the two just on cost.

txhunter58

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom