Good Washington Muzzleloader

MuleySniper

I want to buy a new muzzleloader that I can legally hunt with in Washington. What would be a good choice? I prefer a brand that offers synthetic/stainless finish. I'm new to the muzzleloader world and I know WA has pretty stiff restrictions on what is legal to hunt with. Any suggestions? Thanks

MuleySniper

I am in the same boat right now. Looking for a ML that I can use in WA. I also have to decide if I want one I can use here in Oregon since Oregon is even more restrictive. It will be nice to hear what others recommend.

I have been told that the TC Black Diamond, and the Knight Bighorn can be used in WA.

Rick

Rick
After reading other posts, I'm seeing a lot of posts about the TC Black Diamond. I checked it out on the TC website, and it looks like a nice gun. I definitely want to go with the synthetic/ss combo. Ive never done the muzzleloader thing, but after years of frustration with the numbers of rifle hunters and the countless times of not drawing (even with max bonus points) I'm seriously considering making the switch. I'll have to check out the knight Bighorn. Thanks
Travis
aka MuleySniper

Short story on WA restrictions.
No 209 primers so No. 11 percussion caps, musket caps or flint are the ingnition systems. I use musket caps on mine.
Ignition open to elements. (I put a T/C cover over my ignition area. It does help keep the junk and rain out. I saw a bolt action style recently that stated it was legally "open to the elements" when the bolt was closed. Went a long way to keeping crud out of the action area. Don't remember who it was though. Maybe Austin and Halleck?
Any Knight with a plunger style action will work. The T/C Black Diamond is great too. I have a Black Diamond and a T/C Wolverine. Both are great rifles. Really no need for anything else.
No optical sights. As in no scopes. Fiber optics are OK.
I like fiber optic front sights and rear peep sights.
All lead bullets. Sabots ok. Powerbelts ok. No jacketed bullets.
That is pretty much it. If you shop around you can get a fine rifle for not much money. Lots of used Knight Wolverines around. Stainless synthetics are the way to go.
On one hand it really takes away the desire to buy all the latest and greatest because most of them are sealed ignition systems with only 209 primers.
I would love to have a low power optical sight because of my aging eyes and need of reading glasses at short distances.
Watch the littlenickel and your local used gun racks for some great deals. I talked to a guy in Tacoma a couple of months ago who would have sold a whole set up with a Knight or T/C for $100.
Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I'm finding all the help very usefull. Now I need to get out and do some looking around at the different rifles.

The Black Diamond is a great gun. Make sure you spend the extra few bucks to get the XR. It will reach out a bit farther. I love my Black Diamond XR. 175-200 yard shots are a piece of cake if your good with open sights.

Colorado Wildlife at one time banned the use of inline muzzleloaders. They lifted the ban when they discovered inlines had no significant advantage over cap or flint lock rifles. That would include any extended range claims.

While I have and like the TC Black Diamond, you can also check out the Rem 700ML, if I had one of them, I would put a musket cap nipple on it, use pelleted powder probably, and install a peep for a rear sight. Also nothing wrong with a traditional sidelock with a peep rear sight as long as it shoots good, they are usually heavier though. IHMO

I am in Arizona so I have drastically different requirements; however, if I had he Washington Oregon problems I would stongly consider a sidelock for the following reasons: 1. and this is a big one in my opinion; you get more barrel length for the total rifle length than you do with a bolt. 2. Bolts usually require more time and complication to clean especially if the bolt is difficult to disassemble which you must do if you want the action to work every time. 3. Sidelocks are actually as easy to clean as an inline and in some cases easier. There are a couple of sidelocks that have removable breechplugs; T/C made one and another one by someone else (Accusporter by rmcsports 1-800-338-4391)is available also in both caplock and flint. I think the T/C was called the Firestorm (that would be my first choice as the Accusporter is a little more expensive and I like T/C). 4. sidelocks are somewhat easier to waterproof than some bolts as there is no channel for the water to build up in like a bolt (either the tubing over the nipple or some wax will pretty much take care of the water problem).

I ended up buying a Knight Bighorn SS .50. Any recommendations on bullets/powder to use and remain legal in WA?

Thanks
Rick

I haven't experimented a lot but out of my Black Diamond I'm using the Buffalo Bullet 375 grain SSB (Special Saboted Bullet.) It's a boattail, and all lead, so it is legal in Washington. The only powder I've tried is Black Mag 3, but it's hard to get around here so you may want to try Triple Seven to start with. I may try it also when I run out of the Black Mag. Oh, I also want to try the 444 grain Powerbelts. They will load much easier.

I AM LOOKING TO GET INTO THE ML THING ALSO, I SEE THERE IS TALK OF CHANGING ALL THE RESTRICTIONS ON THEM HERE IN WA...
GOING TO 209 PRIMERS, ETC. ANYBODY GOT ANY INFO ON THIS OTHER THAN WHAT WAS PROPOSED BY THE WDFW SURVEYS??

Well, nothing was changed so 209 primers still are not legal and the nipple must be "exposed to the elements."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom