Goodale bucks

Don't think there are any that were taken, seems like they had a fire up that way I think.
Now I could be wrong too.

Brian

I was drawn this year and tackled the hunt with my bow and arrow. With no snow in the high country, it was definitely an "off" year in terms of quality. A LOT of broken up bucks this year as well. There were several bucks taken on the hunt.....the best scoring one I heard of was right at 180" gross. The one I arrowed was in the low 150's.....if not for the broken G4 and G1 he'd be about 160".

I know the Governors tag holder killed one near the end of December when the snows finally arrived in that unit that was pretty nice. A gnarly looking non-typical buck with short points and good mass.

BOHNTR )))---------->

There is no such thing as "Goodale Bucks" any longer.

For the past 5 years we have seen less and less quality bucks in this area. A 30" buck is a real rarity any more.

I watched these deer during several snowstorms this year during the migration and although there were hundreds of deer, there were NO serious trophy animals like we used to see.

We never even saw a typical 5X5 that was anything special.

I have lived here all my life and I can assure you that the reason this hunt was designed is no longer a viable concern. Those old, trophy bucks are gone and the gene pool does not exist to create any in the future, especially with 40+ hunters knocking off the best looking 4X4's every year now.

I also suspect that Bohntrs info of a 180 being taken out of here this year is an exageration.

"I also suspect that Bohntrs info of a 180 being taken out of here this year is an exageration."

It might be Nick....although I did see a photo of the buck. Looked like it could go 180.....definitely in the mid-170 class. Hard to tell by a photo though.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Yes I saw a picture of the governor tag buck as well. As far as no more Goodale bucks. A friend of mine guides that unit every year and his clients all have taken nice bucks. The trophy animals are there. This year was an off year due to fire and weather. But the animals are there. I do agree with nick that the numbers are not like they were. Remember the weather was horrible the year before with less feed, this affects antler growth and strength. If we get a few winters like this the food in the fire area will regrow and hopefully the herd will as well.

By the way the govennors tags buck that was taken was a real nice buck, not very tall but wide. I would take it anyday. Defintely a wall hanger

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-08 AT 11:27AM (MST)[p]As far as the ONE governors tag goes....how many days did they spend trying to fill that tag?....almost the whole season. 1 decent buck.

The other Governors tag holder declined to even come and hunt, because his guide, one of the toughest, most capable hunters I have ever known, failed to SEE a trophy class buck that the client would even consider taking. This was after spending 11 days and nights in cold camps in the back country. The tagholder had a five figure investment in the hunt and there was nothing to tag.

On the 18th of December, there were 2000 deer on the flats, after 3 feet of snow fell to 7000 ft., and we never even found a decent 5X5 typical buck. Should have seen 50.

Ten years ago, with only 25 tags, it was not uncommon to have 20 or more 30"+ deer tagged, take your pick, typical or non. Weather or no....the rut still takes place here.

Now we have 35 draw tags and as many as 10 auction tags. That is a lot of hunters and their crews, a lot of eyes looking for trophy deer... and you are all impressed with 1 scraggly assed buck, that 10 years ago would have been considered "ho hum", at best.

As far as the fire in July goes, what did that have to do with last years feed? The balance of the winter range is very healthy, even now, and the deer are still on it. We will have no winter kill in this zone.

Go look and take some photos of all these trophy deer you are talking about.

I have only lived in this zone for 60 years,and hunted it for 45, so maybe I just don't know where to look.

I would hope that DFG biologists would reccomend that this hunt be turned into an archery hunt, or dumped altogether.....and I don't bowhunt.

Nick:

I don't think anyone here is disputing the fact that the unit is not producing the caliber of bucks it once did. I agree with you fully, as I saw A LOT of 150" caliber bucks and only a few better. However, you first indicated that a 180" taken this year was an "exageration" becasue YOU did not see it. I did, however, see several photos of the buck taken from a hunter who horsebacked into a remote ridge. By all indications, it could definitely gross 180" and will definitely net in the mid-170's. However, I do agree that bucks of that caliber were frequent 10 years ago.

As far as the non-typical taken late in the season, I understand the hunter had a few opportunites at some decent typical bucks that would score in the 170-180" range but declined, as he wanted a unique type buck. He ended up achieving his goal.

I sure wish the hunt could produce bucks like it once did........but I can say that about A LOT of units throughout the West. I was surprised at the amount of mature bucks that were huge 2-points or 3-points that, genetically, should be better. Those are actually the bucks that should be taken out of the herd. Maybe we could get an archery hunt to "cull" those bucks? :)

BOHNTR )))---------->

Bohntr.....I never said the 180 buck didn't exist because I never saw it............I said I believe that it is an exageration.....not from you, but your source.

Let us have this same conversation a year from now.

nickman,

BOHNTR said he saw a picture of the deer and said it is no exageration..I have seen some of the bucks that Roy has killed and I can assure you he knows what a nice buck looks like..

horsepoop.gif

Hmmmmm...........probably should just let this go boys. It is simply a matter of opinions anyway....and you know what they say about opinions.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I've seen Bohntr in action first hand myself.

I live 5 minutes from this zone and have spent almost every day of the open season in it for most of thirty years, not counting scout days prior to the season during the rut and all the days during and after storms, to view winter range deer.

Nobody alive has had a hand in taking more trophy bucks from the G3 than I have.....nobody. Consequently, my OPINIONS have some validity......in my opinion.

>
> Nobody alive has had a
>hand in taking more trophy
>bucks from the G3 than
>I have.....nobody. Consequently, my OPINIONS
>have some validity......in my opinion.
>

Yes master.

NICKMAN: I for one can't let this go. Let me start by saying that you are a real piece of work.

Where do you get off calling the Govy buck "scraggly ass"? . You don't know the guides or the hunter. That statement really shows your character.
You can't compare that buck to other bucks that came out of the zone 10+ years ago. It sounds to me like you are living in the past.

Yes, the quality of bucks in the unit has gone way down. I will agree with you on that matter. However, I've seen how you operate... it's tough to locate big bucks when you don't get out of the truck.
If you want to base your reasoning on ONE guide's experience (you know... the super tough, 11 day cold camp scouter) then that's your own downfall. Because I know for a fact you don't and can't get around like you used to.

As fas as I'm concerned Don, you can go pound sand!

Oh, and don't question BOWHNTR again.

Mulebuck...You are out of your depth here..., As a matter of actual fact I DO know the guide and I DO know the hunter and I never said that the guide was not 100% capable. He is, in fact, currently, the best guide in the area for trophy hunters needing guide services. I retired.

That buck is the result of a LOT of work and is not an example of what would normally be called "special". Obviously, you don't know squat about this zone.

And just how does my opinion of that animal reflect my character? I ain't all that fond of your wife, but that shouldn't stop you from loving her......it's an opinion pal.

I don't see where you get off talking about my capabilities or who I know....You don't know a thing about me.......or the other guide I was refering to.

No question, I don't get around as well as I used to....but 4 to 6 miles a day on foot ain't to bad for a crippled old fat man. I doubt you were alive when I took my first deer off this range.

You, choosing to attack me personaly, is more a reflection of your character.....betting you wouldn't say the same thing to my face.

And lastly, IN MY OPINION............Bohntr's information is inaccurate.....that is no slam on Bohntr....he got bad info from someone else.....get over it!

nickman-

I think the moral of the story, is that you have to actually hunt the unit now. Nobody denies the hunt is not like the " glory" days of driving in your truck and shooting a nice buck. But the animals are still around, it is just harder and takes more skill to get trophy animal. I also know some of the guides that take hunters in that unit, they take a lot of time and research to get a quality buck. The gonvernors buck is a nice buck period. But beauty and trophy is in the eye of the beholder. If the man that took that buck thinks its a trophy than so be it, he earned the points and payed for the tag. We all know you have lived in the area for a long time, but so have alot of us, and I am not to young to remember the deer being more plentiful. I do agree with you that the unit should be archery, as well as the round valley junior hunt. We need to try to preserve the gene pool more. But that is just my opinion. Oh byt the way keep the wife comments out of the forum.

Nickman-
I've been trying to stay out of this but I have to respond, since it's our client your talking about.

Your comments in regards to that buck are uncalled for. I bet there's not too many people around, especially in CA, that would turn down a 34" 7x8. Yes, he's got short points, but much of that is because they are broken from the rut. Secondly, our client knows what he likes and specifically this buck had those characteristics. He saw big typicals, wide typicals, bucks easily pushing the 180 mark...this is the kind of buck he wanted.

In regards to the other guide and tagholder. Yes that client has high standards, actually VERY high standards, but your comments are incomplete. Please accurately inform us readers the caliber of buck that "Mr. 5 Figure" took back to Michigan. I'm just curious what the areas best guide helped him get over the past couple of seasons!?!

You've been very fortunate to experience this unit through the decades and I'm sure guiding during the heyday has been very rewarding. In the mean don't knock us or our clients.

Happy Easter

WoW this forum got heated. I just wanted to see more pics of any bucks taken this year. Nickman- it is obvious that there are more people who know alot about this zone then you think. Although your knowledge is good I am sure and your experience is plenty, keep in mind that you cant be the only one alive to have all the knowledge. Jerkee and his boys have helped some guys take a lot of great bucks. Brandon- post some pictures if you have few laying around. Lets get a picture of your buck you took this year. Im sure a lot of guys would get a kick out of it.

Geez....I thought I pretty much gave Brandon way more credit than he gave me....and certainly way more than he gave Evan Sheritt....you kids are way too sensitive. And when did I say I was the only one alive who knew the area...?

I allowed as to how much work was involved in that buck and IN MY OPINION...it is dissappointing if it is the best the area can produce. That is my OPINION and I'm not about to change it.

I NEVER slammed anybody and the wife comment was to illistrate a point; I could have said truck, dog, rifle....So, now that everybodys shorts are in a knot......

Okay this is running its course. Don- I'm giving you credit, in fact I'd very much like to see the bucks you and your clients have taken over the years. Publicly posted here or privately...doesn't matter.

In regards to Evan...I don't have much to say. In reality I'm not sure of his skills but while scouting we've seen more of him lately than in the past, those are the facts. Good-bad or whatever. We've all been in this area forever, regardless of age, and have a serious passion for muleys. If you ask me there's no one that loves deer more than myself. Ask the next guy he'll tell you the same.

Your opinion is valid regarding this buck. Maybe it's not the best the area has ever produced but this is NO scraggly ass buck. The pics don't do it justice, this buck is a hog and irreplaceable! I guess my point is that this is not the buck to use as the example of where Goodale has gone! Period.

Brandon, Why don't you post the shed pictures of the 249" double dropper with cheaters. Isn't that buck like 42" wide and has a dozen points on each side? I believe the mass is like smoke stacks off a semi tractor or..maybe a pie plate. Just think a buck like this living a couple hundred yards off of HWY 395 that seems to cross the main street of Bishop to slurp up some half empty beers from the local bar. hehe
Congrats on the Gov buck. Awesome.

Since I started this mess with simply asking to see some pictures.. Nickman I think this got off base when the insults started flying and you trying to discredit others or only promote yourself as the best authority of the matter. Here are the facts the entire Mule Deer herd is not like it was in the Eastern Sierra. We all know that. But with that being said, it has been proven that with research, scouting and yes a lot of hard work guys have been successful in taken trophy animals out of Goodale, X9B and A. I unfortunately have not been one of them, but I keep trying. I just wanted to see some of the pics that maybe I have not seen in the local area. Word gets around quick. We all know there are good hunters in the area and good guides. Great. Lets see some of the hard work and post some pics. Not to say oh that buck is crap or sgraggly. But to say hey good job, and to motivate us all to work harder. lets keep the personal agendas to ourselves. If you get good bucks for your clients the work and outcome speak for themselves. Good luck and happy scouting.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-08 AT 11:08PM (MST)[p]Chris..........you are the one who is off base here.

Explain to me, on this topic, where I insulted anyone , discredited anyone, or tried to promote myself, or got into anyones personal agenda, or called anyone's buck "crap"..... Show me. Compare my derogatory remarks to yours....show me.

I don't see where you are getting this; near as I can tell, you are the ones insulting me, even down to this last post.

You have failed to read what is written, and also failed to understand the definition of the word "opinion". I would also be interested in where you got the "facts" you are refering to....I submit that they are YOUR "opinions", and are not based on any professional study whose "finding of fact", you can reference here.

Of course, we must understand that your opinion is so much more valid than mine......wait, I'll come up with a logical reason in a minute...nope, couldn't find one.

You pull these "facts" out of your butt to discredit my "opinion"....and then insult me? And I'm the bad guy here?

So who is the one trying to promote himself?

Or maybe it is that 1 scraggly assed deer, out of 40+ tags, that is offended.

I guess I'll just write this whole thing off as childish babble...and next year, I will gladly admit that my opinion was wrong, when someone prooves it....I bet you will have no such inclination.

......there, I edited in some official insults. I have 4 guys standing here so laughing at you boys. You just have to get offended, like you did with my other insults...make something up!

Maddogpt- You don't need to be sorry. The more I read this the more I think it's way overblown! I got defensive because I took the comment about the buck personally, which was unnecessary and probably childish.

The consensus from all sides is that Goodale has seen better days. Which by the way makes our clients buck even more special...in my opinion.

As for your request to see some bucks taken from the past season you might want to check out Roy's post from earlier in the year.

b

I was trying to be the voice of reason here. But since you picked me to be the next target. I did not throw any insults your way. But here we go. Don you are always saying in every damn thread how you lived here all your life and you should know because you look at the deer everyday. I did not pull any facts out of my ass, unless you think the deer herd is doing as well as it was 10 years ago. I was agreeing with you you jackass. I agree with most of your points. Except I pointed out you have to actually get out of the truck and hunt and the buck was a good buck.Go back and read. You were corrected by other people in the forum. So calm down take a drink of whiskey and be cool. I do not have problem with you Don. But you do come off like everyone else is full of --it and you are the foremost authority. All I wanted to see was some pics, and you went into an essay on how there were no more goodale bucks and you should know because you are the authority. Anyway you brought this on you. I had nothing to do with it. I am done. This is ridiculous. You are trying to promote yourself for guiding and it gets old. Also you know me Don I could give a rats ass if 4 people are there laughing at us. Get a grip

Hey Nickman, why do you have to use your 'opinions' to try to discredit people or downplay their accomplishments?
I don't post on here much, but I do read the posts and it seems that you are always doing this. You don't need to bring others down to make yourself look good. Everyone here knows you're good. You tell us all the time.
So you think the 07 Gov buck is scraggly assed (I totally disagree btw). That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. But why do you have to post that crap?
How about you post up some pics of the bucks your clients took from the last 5 years and we can give our 'opinions' like you do.
With that said, I do agree that the unit is going downhill fast. I would be happy to see this hunt eliminated or like Bohntr said made into an archery management hunt. I think a junior management hunt would be a great idea also, but unfortunately it will probably never happen. This issue has been brought to DFG's attention more than once but they disagree. Why they can't see what is so obvious to everyone else is beyond me. If they came out and said "yes we agree with you but" and then state their reasons why they think it's not feasible, maybe it would make more sense. But they totally disagree. They actually think Goodale is as good quality wise as it ever was. Blows me away.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom