GoPro

theox

Very Active Member
Just was looking into the go pro cam to film my hunts. I was wondering who has used or uses them to film there hunts.
I was curious how well they work, where you have them mounted, etc. I kinda dont want to mount one to my bow as that adds weight and to film i would have to raise my bow etc, i was thinking i liked the wearing it on the head idea better, anyway any info you wanna share would be great.
Also do they have remotes or anything to control the cam?

I have an awesome GoPro kill shot from my NM aoudad hunt this year.
I have the hero2 and wore it on my head.
Great little camera.
Keep in mind there is no zoom, just wide angle shots

great for on the head-u have to be pretty close because of wide angle but great for stalking---if u leave it in the little hard case be sure to open up for sound---very fun

I have one but I love using my HD digital video camera much better. The gopro works better if it's mounted to something. The wide angle limits it to much IMO....

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

Its not legal to have it mounted to bow in Utah. But we use one when we ride, dune , snow mobile and on hunts if we remember. They work great. I would love to get the new hd one.

BIGJOHN where does it say its not legal on a bow in utah? only thing i have ever seen is you cannot have an electronic aiming device or rangefinder connected to the bow.

So arcchery mounted on the head would probably be half decent video

It is worthless mounted on the stabilizer, because the shot video gets distorted from motion and vibration.

We use it head mounted, it is pretty cool. "Shot video" is pretty sterile anyhow, at least you get a good widescreen HD video sequence.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

there's nothing saying you cant have it on your bow in Utah

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-12 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]I always thought it said you cannot have any electronic devices attached to your bow. I was also told this from the bow shop that i use here in st. george.
? A bow with an attached electronic
range-finding device or a magnifyingaiming
device
I guess this may have changed. This is all I can find now on the subject. The old sights that had the little flash light on the pins use to be not legal ether. But from what I see now they must be ok.

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-12
>AT 10:35?AM (MST)

>
>I always thought it said you
>cannot have any electronic devices
>attached to your bow. I
>was also told this from
>the bow shop that i
>use here in st. george.
>
>? A bow with an attached
>electronic
>range-finding device or a magnifyingaiming
>device
>I guess this may have changed.
>This is all I can
>find now on the subject.
>The old sights that had
>the little flash light on
>the pins use to be
>not legal ether. But from
>what I see now they
>must be ok.

I think you are mixing up legal and "pope and young" eligible.

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

you are probably right bigjohn with the wording but it is meant for electric devices that aid in aiming, or with seeing your pins ect.

so if the go pro camera doesn't have a light and wont help you have an advantage over the game then its fine but your right it could come down to a pin head cop on a bad day if you get a ticket or not because of the way the law was written.

imho if you looked like a stand up guy, act like a stand up guy, wasn't shooting from a road, or were pulled over for doing something stupid the officer wouldn't do anything or say anything about it. He may ask how its used or to see what it is though. Most of the officers I've met in the field are pretty cool and understand the laws and aren't looking to throw the book at the average Joe.

This is my opinion on this matter. I wont use a camera on my bow. I just don't think the video it would shoot would be worth carrying around stuck on my bow all day long.

In my experience I have not found ANY bow mounted camera or camera mount that can successfully film a shot without jolting from vibration. Not one.

I keep thinking of picking one up for fishing video. Me and my brother in law go salmon fishing every year and he sucks at running the camera, this little gadget would be fun for that.

GoPros are a lot of fun to play around with! They only weigh a few ounces and are around 3" x 2" in size. Not bad for packing! They also are only a fraction of the cost of a regular camcorder. Their one drawback is not able to zoom in and the sound isn't too great...especially in the waterproof box. They also have a slotted back cover that allows better sound...but it isn't totally waterproof with the slots. It is nearly impossible to make out objects farther than around 100 yards so is mostly for shooting close range footage. The video is pretty remarkable for such a tiny little camcorder.

I've used mine extensively while fishing. They are totally waterproof (inside the hard case) and are a kick in the pants to do underwater footage. The number of ways to mount and video are pretty much up to your imagination. I've mounted mine on my head, poles, kayak, etc. I use telescoping poles on my kayak to get great fishing video above and below water. I'll be experimenting with mine this fall scouting and hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom