Got a Dilemma

150fighter

Well I'm graduating from high school next year and for my graduation present I am asking for a big time hunt. Either, muley/antelope hunt down in Utah or Wyoming or any westeren state, or a caribou hunt up in northern BC or the Yukon, OR a fly in drop camp for stone sheep.

The muley/antelope and caribou hunt would be fully guided while the sheep hunt wouldnt be.

Which hunt would you guys pick?

Thanks

Sheep, hands down.

Mike
at235.gif

Forgot to add one question, do you guys know of any good guides/outfitters for muley/antelope and/or caribou? or a good fly in drop camp guide for stone?

Thanks

I would go sheep all the way but don't you have to have a guide for that? I know all canadian hunts it's a mandatory guide unless you're a resident.

I don't think there are drop camp stone hunts. all hunting is guided for aliens in BC and the Yukon, and spendy I might add. you might see what kind of budget you'll have to work with and go from there.

I think 150 is from Canada, so it kinda makes sense to me a little more now why doing an antelope hunt may hold more weight to him than say someone from the Rocky Mountain states.

Mike
at235.gif

I seriously considered a trophy turtle hunt but it was a bit too pricey for me ;)

And yes, I live in BC so I can be unguided for sheep, that is also why I'm thinking about an antelope hunt.

That changes things. then I'd do sheep. but if you want a pronghorn there are alot of good outfitters, quality of goat most often depends on what you pay, as always. there are good goats in southern Alberta but I don't know if yo can get a draw tag as a Canadian or not.

Will your parents adopt me? I have already graduated high school AND college. Surely that should get me a sheep hunt, right?

I think I got some cheap luggage for graduating high school. :) I took it as a hint. :)

Oh, didn't know you were a Canadian resident. Well if I were you I would try and do an antelope or elk hunt. Since you're a BC resident I'm assuming you could go Sheep hunting on your own and since you have some unbelievable muleys up there. I would figure out which one appealed to me the most and the one I would have the least opportunity to do again. I don't know if that helps but for me since I live in the western states I can hunt muleys and elk every year, a sheep hunt would be on the top of my list because it's the one that's presents the least opportunity for me. Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.

Riley

150, as a BC resident, you have access to both sheep and good mule deer. Antelope are cheap in the scheme of it and can be done anytime. Sheep are great and if you've never hunted them or harvested one, I would choose the sheep hunt. Otherwise, go on a good Mountain Caribou hunt and hunt sheep/muleys as you can during the normal season.

Just my 2 pennies.

Good luck,
Garion

I am claiming you oughta come down and hunt elk. In my eyes there's not a whole lot better of an experience for ya then to be in the middle of herd of elk and have a bull in the full swing of the rut goin' nuts..... Just my opinion, but the sheep hunt would be fun too...
redelkarcher>>>----------------->

Well, I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I decided against the muley/antelope hunt. Why? because every 2nd or 3rd year I get to go alberta mule deer hunting, and eventually I'll get drawn for antelope in alberta.

Where I live I can hunt a whole bunch of animals, whiteys, muleys, elk, moose, mountain goat, bear, bighorn sheep. And since I'm probably gunna be going after bighorn sheep, elk, muley and whitey next year, I think I'll hold off on the stone sheep hunt

Which leaves the caribou hunt!!! Anbody know of good outfitters in Canada? with a reasonable price.

Thanks

Caribou all the way! Quebec is where I'd go I think on a caribou/ lake and char fishing trip! I'm sorry for trying to influence you but it's my dream hunt, been talking about it for years!

JR Campbell

If you can't afford a turtle hunt, which is about equal in money to a 30 day African Safari for the Big 5, then caribou is an excellent choice. I've been to Alaska to hunt caribou so can't help you with a Canadian guide. If you find them in some open country, it's a lot like pronghorn hunting too.

Good luck on your choice, and congratulations on completing school. You won't be sorry!

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-05 AT 08:25PM (MST)[p]I would immediately enroll in college so you can get a African Safari for graduating.

150, as a BC resident you can also hunt mountain caribou on your own. There's plenty of places in the northern rockies and in the Cassiars where you should be able to get a really good caribou. I think a guided elk hunt would be pretty cool, if you don't normally have access to horses. Or you could do a drop camp combined hunt for elk and stone's sheep, say in the Gathto drainage. I think those go for around $4000 Canadian. Otherwise you could try a hunt for Dall's sheep if your parents can afford it, or a hunt for caribou other than the mountain subspecies. Hope you have a great hunt, whatever you choose.

bcmulie

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom