got My Bison

G

Gotlost

I killed him the 2nd north of Jackson on Nat Forest. I green scored him at 119. used a 338 win mag.

BisonandSam024.jpg

I am frickin' jealous. I know, "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor" and so on, but you have just done what I have as my number one goal in hunting. A wild bison. Way cool!

Not a penned bison, but a public land monster. Congrats many times over.

Thanks for sharing.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Awesome, what number where you on the priority list? Any idea how many tags they gave out? I try every year but from what I hear as a NR unless I get number 1 I am never going.

I was # 55 on the bull list, they were letting up to # 56 hunt at that time. they are going to allow more bull hunters up to 95.
I did see at least 5 NR names on the board.
the board only showed Bison hunters that could hunt the refuge at that time. If you call the Jackson G&F office they can give you an idea were you at.

G&F wanted 200 cows taken but so far most of the cows have stayed north of the refuge just inside the park.
there was some cows on the north end when I was there.

Heres a pic of some of the one that were just out side of the refuge.
buffalos.jpg

Congrats on the bison, big one!
I used to have a #1 in .338 as well sometimes I wish I would have kept it.

Congrats on a great Bull! I recieved the letter and picked my tag up Friday. I was # 83 on res bull list. I plan to start the hunt this Saturday after my Dad arrives in state to join in the adventure with me.
Were the bulls hard to find on the North end? I spendt a little time looking around the South side and saw plenty just inside the "no hunt zone". How did you work your retrieval? How much meat did you get out of that beast?
I am getting pretty pumped up and can't wait to go....
Warren

I saw bulls all over, this one was taken of Shadow Mt. there may bsome more snow now that may have pushed more closer to the refuge.
I've got 130 bls of off each of the front quarter plus some roast and steaks.
I did 1 of hind quarter and got 70 lbs of burger and maybe 30 bls of steaks.

I envy you guys. I am number 126 on the resident bull list and will not be in the running for a tag. Congradulations!
WYHunter

There has been a lot that did not buy there tags, you may still have a chance WYhunter. Call the Jackson office to see.

Sounds like a lot of meat for winter. Congrats again on a great bull and thanks for the reply. I'll post if I have any luck. I plan on having my Dad, nephew and my 4 sons with this Saturday and to get a Bull then will make great memories for all...MB

Make sure you have.
come-a-long
lots of sharp knives, thin blades seem to work best.
Battery operated receprecating saw is a must.
Hint, cut the breast and pelves with the saw, then tie a small rope to the windpipe and have the others slowly pull the guts out as you make the cuts to free it.
Make sure you open up the front legs from the ribs so they can cool out.
you are about to have a lot more respect for the native American that hunted bison before us.
Nothing is EZ when it comes to Bison.

Thanks for the tips, The sawz-all will be handy. I am going to pull an 18' long flat bed trailer to load him on with pallets underneath to keep air circulating for his ride back to LaBarge.
I will definently lay the shoulders back and may split the hide along the back and up the neck to make sure the heat gets out.
Of course all this planning depends on first finding and killing the bull I want but you have to be ready..
MB

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom