Got my first mountain lion! 130 lbs 7'0"

bonecollector777

Finally got the chance to take a nice tom. While I have had the chance to see a lot of cats in the tree this was my first one I have gotten the chance to kill. 130lbs and 7'0" from nose to tip of tail.
As for the story. .We cut his track along a road that was parallel with a huge canyon. The track was really hot so the dogs didn't have a hard time getting on it. After about a mile chase the cat went into the canyon and rather than tree in the bottom he went up the other side! So we crawled back out and the cat ran along the edge of the canyon for about half a mile and then dropped back into the canyon. Then he ran about another half mile along the bottom and treed in those big pines behind me in the picture. His tracks in the snow weren't that big so we were thinking it was going to be a female so we weren't planning on killing it. But when we got to the tree it turned out to be a good sized tom. Bad thing was the only gun we were carrying was a 30.06. So that's what I ended up shooting him with. Thankfully it didn't blow a hole out the back side when I shot it. Once he was out of the tree we had about a 2-2 1/2 mile hike back to the truck from the bottom of the canyon. I attempted to carry him and went about a hundred yards up the side of the canyon and realized it wasn't going to happen. We checked the GPS and saw a road cutting through the canyon about 2 miles down so we walked back to the truck, got a four wheeler, blazed a trail through the bottom and picked him up! Then took him to the taxidermist. I'm thinking about maybe getting him mounted someway with my big mule deer I killed this year. Still not sure.
IMG951501_zps72ad7a0f.jpg

"so we walked back to the truck, got a four wheeler, blazed a trail through the bottom and picked him up!"

Wait till bessy reads that!

hornkiller.jpg

Unless you plan on many more cats in your life; I would for srue get it mounted. They are a tremendous trophy and when mounted by someone that is good at cats they are amazing. Nothing worse than a cat mount with a bad head.

>
>"so we walked back to the
>truck, got a four wheeler,
>blazed a trail through the
>bottom and picked him up!"
>
>
>Wait till bessy reads that!
+100

You better ask the local FBI to put you in the "save my ass protection program!"

congrats on your first cat!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-12 AT 07:05AM (MST)[p]

So?
You think you wanna take My Hi- Capacity Magazines & Assault Rifles Huh?
Just Try taking My American Pride/Rights!

It's been a long hard ride
And I won't lose hope
This is still the place
That we all call home

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-12 AT 07:06AM (MST)[p]

So?
You think you wanna take My Hi- Capacity Magazines & Assault Rifles Huh?
Just Try taking My American Pride/Rights!

It's been a long hard ride
And I won't lose hope
This is still the place
That we all call home

>Spit it out Bess..... :).....Nice cat....
>Way to get creative on
>the recovery... Terry

the best tree is the one you can almost drive to... who know he could have been on private ground?

How to start an argument online
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom