Gout

H

HumbledHunter

Was diagnosed 4 months ago with it. Worst pain I've ever felt. Anyone else have it?

Yours truly,
HumbledHunter (stinkystomper's alter ego)
Mormons are Christians too

Is that the chit on your feet usually caused from chasing wildlife into large lakes and making them swim like he ll?

I don't think I've ever had it...is the cure a little comb and some special topical cream?

I'd offer to talk to some MD friends but since you've been diagnosed, your probably on the right meds to help with it.

My question would be; What hurts worse sunburn, or gout?

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

Tag, did you get burnt last weekend? I'm about as white as it gets and when I get burnt it hurts something bad, to the point I can't sleep, feels like sandpaper in the sheets! I heard Gout is some REALLY painful stuff but I haven't had it so I can't compare the two. My cure for sunburn?lots and lots of sun block lotion and reapply often. Probably wouldn't taste too good to the fish though,LOL. Sucks to stay covered up on a nice day at the lake or stream.

GBA

My grandpa had it and my son in law has it.All I know is it is bad chit.When it hits,my son in law has to live on Naproxin to be able to even walk.Like I said,it is bad.

I had it for a while, got it while trying to lose some weight and eating subway like 3 or 4 times a day. Cranberry juice in large quantities was the best relief I found.

My wife had it bad for 6 months and the doctor figure out it was gout he gave he these wich I can't tell what they are right now since I am in the mountains camping right now but will be home this weekend and will let you know what is when I get home! It got rid of her gout in three hours and it has not come back since!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-12 AT 08:54AM (MST)[p]
I've had it for six or seven years, fortunately not as bad as many people who have gout. Yeah, the pain can be really intense. A couple things I have found that help are staying very well hydrated, and when a flare up occurs to take a lot of Advil, eat tart cherries, either fresh or dried and drink lots of tart cherry juice.

If I feel a flare up coming on, I start drinking as much water as I possibly can(think to the point where you're peeing every 15-20 minutes all day long), take 600-800 mg of Advil every 4 hours, drink tart cherry juice and keep on drinking fluids as much as I can stand. I also find that soaking my feet in a hot epsom salt bath seems to help with the pain. If I catch a flare up early it usually goes away within a few days, but many people have flare ups that last a couple weeks.

For those not familiar with gout, also known as gouty arthritis, what causes it is elevated levels of uric acid in your bloodstream. We all have uric acid in our blood, but levels above 6mg./dl (that's 6 milligrams per deciliter) are where you can start having problems. At high levels, crystals can form and they tend to lodge in your joints, usually the big toe, ankle, achilles, but and also be in any other joint. Those crystals are like a pebble or grain of sand stuck in your joint, causing pain, swelling, inflammation and long term damage. For those who suffer with gout in advanced stages, it can be truly and literally crippling.

I once fished on a long range offshore trip out of San Diego with a guy who was suffering from a bad flare up when he got on the boat. He had to walk with a cane, his foot was swelled up to about 1 1/2 times normal size, his big toe was huge and fire red, and he could barely move around, he was in such pain. When we got back to land 10 days later, he still had it and nearly had to be taken off the boat in a wheelchair.

I'm just getting over a flare up right now, and I've finally had it. This one wasn't that bad, but still my ankle swelled up, my achilles was very sore and it was painful to walk, which is extra tough for me since I'm coaching baseball most days a week over and above work. I also umpire, and running around a baseball field is really tough and painful when just walking hurts. I'm gonna go see the doc to get a prescription for Uloric, which is a gout preventative medication. A few years ago I was a participant in the clinical trials for Uloric, and during the time I was taking that medication I never had the slightest problem with it.

I had it last year and it is one painfull SOB on the foot/toe area. Took almost 3 months to get rid of the pain but drank a lot of 100% Black Cherry Juice and avoiding red meat, booze etc.
Like CANuts states above:

get a prescription for Uloric, which is a gout preventative medication. A few years ago I was a participant in the clinical trials for Uloric, and during the time I was taking that medication I never had the slightest problem with it.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-12 AT 09:45AM (MST)[p]It hurts bad. Dunno about the cure either.

Elk season of 2004 I got it. (I had some pills to take, can't remember the name, in case I got it again. The label told me to take one every two hours until I go poo)

Anyway we are passing through Price, Utah on our way from Fresno, when it started hurting. So, I popped open the bottle and decided to take one every hour. Did that. Didn't get the urge to poo until we got to just outside Gunnison.

Got to camp and started unloading the trailer and get the tent set up. It was hot that year, hot enough to have bees at almost 10000ft. (that becomes important later on) Went poo. Hmm, okay, spent 10 minutes untying ropes. Went poo. Spent 10 minutes unloading the generator. Went poo. Spent 10 minutes pulling the tent out. Went poo. Okay, I am sensing a pattern here. Couldn't afford to strain too much for obvious reasons.

It took me and my wife and my oldest boy almost 3 hours just to get the tent up. Each and every time I went poo, it was just like a cow pissing on a flat rock. Every time. So, back to the bees....I hung my hiney over the tongue of the trailer to take care of business...and, as I am near naked with the family jewels flapping in the breeze, along comes a bee. All I had with me to defend myself was a can of starter fluid and my Kimber .45. So, I used the starter fluid and aimed it towards the bee. Only I missed and got some on my sperm factories. I honestly don't know which was worse...the gout pain, the dehydration from pooing so much or the ether on my sack.

I crawled in my fart sack at about 1830 and didn't get out of bed until about 6 the next morning. Did ok for most of the day, then went to a hamburger joint and had a chili cheese burger. Went to the bathroom and finally crapped solid, then let out a should of joy.

Gout...yea, I have taken every precaution possible to make sure I don't get it again.

1911 has had a terrible case of gout the past year. I told him to double down on whiskey, beef and seafood which he did. Tards will believe anything.

2311idiot.jpg

Gout started during an elk hunt I was guiding. I thought I broken my foot. Never knew anyone who has had it so I thought the pain would go away. One Sunday morning I woke up in so much pain and my foot was so swollen, I thought I had a blood clot in my leg. All the veins in my feet and leg were bulging. I woke my wife up and told her that she better run me to the ER to get rid of the blood clot.

Ended up getting xrays and blood work before they diagnosed it as Gout. Now I am on daily prescription of Allopurinol and Colcrys. Ill be popping pills everyday for the rest of my life. I'm only 30, WTF?

Yours truly,

Feddoc, the pill was called Colcrys or Colchacine (sp?). Dont ask me how I know.

Yours truly,

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-12 AT 12:34PM (MST)[p]The drug that works for me now and ONLY when I have a flare up of the GOUT is INDOMETHACCIN 25MG. Take two pills and another 6 hours later and then 3 the next day and Quit. ONLY for an acute flare up according to DPM Dr. Got a full bottle and have 2 refills available till NOV 2012 which I will refill before expiring. They are green capsules.

NOTE: I also take 1000mg of Black Cherry Extract in capsule form bought online thru GNC Health Foods.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I suffered from it for over 12 years, until a nurse practioneer put me on allopurnol in 1992. I took my pill every day and never had another gout attack again. That's twenty years with no attacks AND I did not change my lifestyle. Continued to eat and drink what I wished!

feddoc, LMAO!!!!

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I am just getting over a flare up right now.It's been about 3 weeks. Like others said, it feels like you broke your foot. I got my first attack after eating a ton of deer jerky last year. I am only 27 and will be getting on a daily prescription before my next attack. It's worth a pill a day to never feel that pain again. Cherry juice didn't seem to help me much.

"100% Black Cherry" I'm thinking if that is the only cure your toe is going to hurt like heck for a long time. (kinda like drawing a Henry Tag)

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

After reading all the horror story's about gout, I have to share a secret home remedy that works great for me if I get a flare up, ( once or twice a year) I just mix up a glass of water and one tsp. of baking soda and drink, once in the morning and once before bedtime, do this for one week and the gout should be gone.
It changes the ph balance in your blood, shutting off the uric acid levels in your body. gout and pain goes away!

I got it bad this past April for the first time. Hurt like hell. I'm still getting over it. I'm only 32 and everybody has told me I'm way too young to have it!!!

i had it really bad about 12 years ago. I was on cruthches 3 times in a year while trying to get my uric acid levels stabilized. Take allopurinol every day now, haven't had an attack in years. I watch my red meat intake and avoid most of the no-no foods. That year I drew my best elk tag ever. I couldn't sidehill at all, ankle hurt so bad. Basically stuck to some good trails while my hunting buddy hunted all the places I wanted(told)him to hunt. He missed two Big 6 points opening day. I should have shot him. I ended up getting a 325 inch 6 point on the 4th day. He ended up with a spike on the last day.

Can we get a senior citizen forum please? It could be sponsored in part.by Depends....for all adult.protection...all the time.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>Can we get a senior citizen
>forum please? It could
>be sponsored in part.by Depends....for
>all adult.protection...all the time.
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Spoken from experience.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-12 AT 12:14PM (MST)[p]Gout is not an old persons disease. I am 29 and had it when I was 28. Uric acid levels can build up for a variety of reasons. Ignoring the problem will lead to serious problems later in life. Think glass shards in your joints. That's what those crystals do.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-12 AT 07:39PM (MST)[p]Gout SUCKS!!! I've had about 6 flareups. The first one was the worst.

BTW... Shrimp are Satan's little soldiers!!

Was almost willing to let my hunting partner chop off my big toe/half my foot with a hatchet. At the time I was about convinced that chopping it off would provide relief.

Same buddy offered to grab my foot/toe and break those crystals up as if he was breaking up ice in a garden hose.

Yea, he almost lost his life right then & there.

Black cherry juice has never provided me with any releif, however eating a handfull of dried cherries every day has kept the flareups at bay.

Eventually you'll learn what foods cause you to have flareups and will avoid them like the plague.

For me it's one little bastard shrimp or too much sweet bread.

There are way worse things a guy can have than Gout...especially if you have the correct meds to either control it or to get temporary relief.

I started getting bouts of Gout in my feet and ankles way back in my early 30's and had never really heard of it before that. I suffered greatly, drinking gallons of very expensive cherry juice and multiple heavy doses of ibuprofen to little or no relief.

A Dr finally set me up with indomethicyn(sp), I used it for many years and considered it a miracle drug. If i could feel a case coming on, i'd take two pills right away and then two pills later and that would usually keep me from getting the full blown gout attack. If i didn't treat it early on, sometimes there was no walking, no sleeping, and much intense pain before those pills would eventually take hold and get the gout to go into remission.

Now, i take a pill every day but i still occasionally need the indo as i notice that crab and good salami, favorite foods, will sometimes over power the pill a day routine. If you ever get a full blown gout attack, it can last for days and days of intolerable pain. No fun, Go to a Dr, it is very manageable. !!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

+1 on Allopurinol. I take 300 mg daily. I started getting it in my late 20's. Diet change did not help. I like my red meat dammit. Still get minor flare ups once or twice a year - but not full blown attacks. Kidney stones are worse pain. Ask me how I know.

"Ill be popping pills everyday for the rest of my life. I'm only 30, WTF?"

Moral of the story...... Don't mess with Stinky....... Terry

>
>+1 on Allopurinol. I take
>300 mg daily. I started
>getting it in my late
>20's. Diet change did not
>help. I like my red
>meat dammit. Still get minor
>flare ups once or twice
>a year - but not
>full blown attacks. Kidney stones
>are worse pain. Ask me
>how I know.

I'm not completely sure I agree with the kidney stone comparison. Kidney stones might be more intense but the pain doesn't last as long...

Ok, wait... maybe you're right? I've passed 3 kidney stones and once I was driving to Phoenix for a meeting and seriously considered driving my truck off a cliff near Payson. Thats worse than considering chopping off the end of my foot, eh?!

I had a couple of Gout episodes in my right big toe shortly after I graduated High School, so it can happen at any age. Definitely the worst pain I've ever experienced. I haven't had a problem with it since then though. They gave me indomethacin and that sure took care of it in a hurry. I know my older brother has to take medication to keep his down, but I don't remember what it is he takes.

From what I have been told gout is essentially like a kidney stone but in your joints. It could be a result of your diet or even a chronic problem. If yours turns out to be chronic then I would expect allopurinol would be the prescription for you. Gout can be caused during the pathway of nucleotide metabolism in your body. Allopurinol inhibits an enzyme which creates uric acid from a metabolite in the pathway. Just thought I would share some info; I'm not a doctor but I am studying to become a pharmacist :)

Hope you can get it under control. I know where you are coming from with the pain. There were times I just wanted to cry lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom