GPS Comparisons...mind boggling!

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Comparing various Garmin GPS's. e-Trex 30, Dakota 20, GPSMap series, Oregon 600. Mind boggling comparisons!

The e-Trek's don't have that great of reviews. The Dakota seems to be similar to the Oregon, but not as expensive. And then I see the GPSMap series looks to be pretty good also. Anybody have experience with these? Any comparisons?

I'm wanting a basic, easy-to-use for the technically disadvantaged GPS that I can use to determine public/private boundaries, as well as find landowner info.

Thanks

The cheapest model they make that will take a chip will do that and more. I've got a Legend HCx and it's all I need to do what you are looking for and was only $153.

I have a Garmin Oregon 600t. I love it. It is easy to use and if you get the landowner chip it will tell you everything. I am also not very good at fancy gadgets but i watched some youtube videos and also a few calls to garmin and they will walk you through any problems or questions you have. i am from MT and that landowner chip is very good even the game wardens use it to determine who's land you are on.

I forgot to tell you why i choose the oregon. i had a dakota 20 and it worked good but as i get older my eyes are not as good and i was hunting and had a hard time seeing the screen in bright sunlight. The oregon has bigger screen and i can see it vert good in the sun or overcast skies.

I agree with 7mmUM, I have the Montana, Dakota and an old geko I got probably 15 years ago. I purchased the montana specifically for hunting/using the landowner chip. I had a LO chip in the Dakota the 1st year and the screen is just to small and dark. I only use it for hiking/backpacking now. The kids use the geko nowadays but it sure was handy finding my way back to camp or downed game in the dark back in the day.

5686gps.jpg

The old Gecko I have does the basic things you need. I don't need maps or landowner info. I just need to find my way.

Joe2Kool,
Here is a link where we reviewed our top 5 Garmin GPS units. http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/blog/best-top-5-gps-units-2015

Our chip is simply plug and play, just plug it in the back of your Garmin and go. We have 1:24K topo, trails, roads, landowner data, campgrounds, and much more. When you get home you can view all your data on your computer and scout from home. Let us know if you have any questions by giving us a call at 406-540-1602 or sending us an email at [email protected]