GPS for Hunting?

hunt1

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-05 AT 11:20AM (MST)[p]Any suggestions for a user friendly GPS for hunting? Tons of these things out there and I need some suggestions. Any info would be appreciated.

*To be specific...I am currently considering the Lowrance iFinder Hunter GPS. Anyone have experience with this particular unit?

Hey Hunt1

u can't get lost here in NM! hehe

vinihunt :)

myself have garmin gps give on my bbday!, haven't try yet!

Hunt1 -
I have the Garmin ETrex. New they are around $100. It's perfect for me, it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it is simple to use and I really only need it to keep from getting lost........so far so good.

My problems is that I will hike many miles away from trails. I zig-zag, end up finding waterholes, rubs, and other awesome places that people might not find otherwise. I would like to simplify the route for returning to those areas. I don't need all the extra stuff to dictate the need to pay over a few hundred dollars.

I'll check out that ETrex since I don't need the bells and whistles. If there are any other suggestions let's hear 'em. Thanks

I have the GARMIN ETREX ALSO. WOULD'NT GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT IT. VERY SIMPLE TO USE. MY BUDDY CAUGHT HIS WIFE CHEATING WITH ONE ALSO (THREW IT IN HER JEEP AND BACK TRACKED).

I've owned the garmin etrex summit for 3 years now. I like it because it will give you a heading when your standing still. I never leave home without it. IMO, its one of the coolest consumer products to ever hit the market.

Mike

One of the simplest ones out is the Garmin Gecko. About $100 and is very easy to use. Even someone like me can operate one without much trouble. It will do all the basics you need.

AntlerQuest Hunt Consulting

Little story about GPS and and related mapping software. I own a Garmin Etrex Venture. Nice and simple. Will do most anything I need. Few weeks ago I loaded my Delorme Topo USA 5.0 onto my laptop and got to wondering about interfacing it with my GPS. Now if you read Delorme's propaganda you'd believe that the only GPS that is compatible with their software is their own GPS. Not true. The included cable with the GPS plugged right into my serial port on my laptop. I started the Topo USA and started the GPS and just like it should it centered my home on the topo map.

So we were going to Oakland for a funeral for an aquaintance couple weeks ago and had no idea where we were going. Had an address for the chapel and the only other thing I knew was that I didn't want to get lost. So I did a search in the Delorme Topo USA and found a locatin for the chapel from the address (first amazing part). Plugged it into the software and figured if nothing else I'd learn something.

So it's a four and a half hour drive to there from my house and as usual my better half was running a bit late so we were going to have to make the 4 1/2 hours in 4. That meant we needed to drive straight there and not get lost. When we got about 15 or 20 miles out I turned on the laptop and GPS and lo' and behold it finds us on the freeway and shows our movement with a big green arrow. Real time! Pretty quick my supposed end point (chapel address) comes on screen and I can see we are heading right for it. We get to the freeway exit which the software says we are supposed to turn off on and blindly follow the GPS. I tell my wife, who is driving, that we need to cross two side streets and turn right on such-and-such street which should be right ahead. She does and then I tell her OK the chapel should be right there pointing to the left. And it was! I was amazed! I really did not think I could get realtime location from my GPS on my laptop as we were driving along. I had read the Delorme stuff and figured I was out of luck with my Garmin. Not only did we get realtime location but we got a route plotted to get the hell out of there too!

My wife was amazed and even a bit disappointed I think. She says we will never get lost again which means we will never discover anything new either. :) I told her I'd promise to leave the laptop home once in a while. But man, what a deal for scouting new country. Can't wait.

I to have the Etrex. Its very easy to use...get the instructional video for an extra $10-15 and it tells and shows you all the basics real quick.

I have the Garmin etrax. The cheap one. It works great and I use a compass along with it. I also carry topo maps of the area so I at least know where I'm at. Best of luck. Kerry

I have been using Gps for years. All types of them also. But if u really want to get the most out of them get the best u can bye. So many things you can do with the top of the line. Things like electronic compuss, weather fish hunt times sun moon phases and so on. You don't have to be moving. To be able to download topo maps this takes a lot of memory. I personaly use a Megellan Platinum with a card. But if u want to download waypoints and maps better go for one with a memory card. I would not even consider one u could not interface with your computer. then u can upgrade its memory online when it is outdated. I also like one with a big screen. But in general if u are dumb enough to get lost u probably are not smart enough to run a gps lol kidding have fun with it.
Rut

I've been looking at getting the etrex Vista C and was looking at getting the topo software. They say it is to 1:100,000 scale but I was looking for 1:24,000. The guy at Sportsmans said the only thing he knows at that scale is the National Geographic software but you have to use it on your computer and overlay your routes from your GPS onto it but not the other way around. Does anyone know if there is a software that you can get at that detail to put on your GPS?

I was given the Garmen eTrex Legion last year for my B/D and I found something interesting about it after I had some idea how it works.
I had bought a "new toy" vehicle and knew the speedometer was off but didn't know for sure how much.
Well I got it set up and drove down the highway here at kept checking the speedometer and the GPS as it too will show you the direction you are traveling and "how fast you are going". The car was off by as much as 5-6 MPH at 65. The GPS was showing me going 70-71 at 65 on speedometer.

Brian

I recently purchased the Cobra 500 and had some problems with it keeping a lock on satelites, when i would lock on my position and begin travel i would loose connection and i would have to stop and wait up to 5min for it to get connection again only to loose it as travel resumed. So i sent it back to Cabelas and they informed me the unit was bad and a new one is in the mail. So when it gets here i will give it a try again. Has anyone else here had any experience with the cobra's.

Later
Geoff

i use a garmin legend. I use to have the etrex, and it worked fine. I just needed to upgrade so I could store some maps. IMy three hunting buddies also have the legend so it makes it easy to find the stuff that each of us save.
The legend has my vote!

Get a GPS but don't forget your map and compass. Last deer season my neighbor and I were shooting the breeze in camp when two young hunters walked up and asked if we could tell them where they were. They had a Garmin Etrex and sure it spit out their coordinates, which didn't do them squat since they hadn't brought a map or compass. They were parked near Dark Lake and told us when the GPS told them they were only "60 feet" from their car they were still unable to see it. I took a UTM coordinate reading off my Magellan 315, plotted our location on my topo map using my UTM grid reader, and told them "head east 1000 meters and you'll cut the main (paved) road. Turn left on the road and you'll find your truck." Since neither had a compass, we gave them fresh batteries for their GPS so they could leave it on as they followed an easterly heading.

GPS is great. I love mine. But I won't leave home without an area topo map and compass. Learn how to use both and you should do fine.

Garmin etrex ! cant go wrong! Do you really believe that a GPS can tell you when the best hunting and fishing time is? who needs that. Just dont pay extra for a camo one when it will be in your pack 95% of the time. Here in western Oregon none work well in thick canopy.

well i received my replacment cobra 500 yesterday so i will give it a try this weekend. does anyboby else use the cobra units? hope this one works, if not i will get the etrex. the cobra seemed like a good deal @ $79 after the mail in rebate.

later
Geoff

As I said in another thread, I have a Magellan GPS. I have never been able to get it to work correctly. At first I thought it was me doing something wrong. However, I have had someone look at it and he had the same problem. I can never get consistent satellite signals. After reading the posts, I am going to get a Garmin Etrex.

-Woodruffhunter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom