GPS for Public/private land maps

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I'm looking for a cheap GPS that shows where you are in relation to public and private land. One of the issues I had in Nevada was not being absolutely certain that I was on public land. I want a GPS that I can look at that tells me that I am on public or private. Preferable a GPS specifically for that purpose. I don't want to buy a GPS and then have to buy a chip to plug into it. Thanks....

Steve

Too many tags= unhappy wife

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-13 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p]" I don't want to buy a GPS and then have to buy a chip to plug into it."

Then you're out of luck.
Best you can do is download the free land status stuff from gpsfiledepot but it's old.

No kidding? They don't make a specific unit for this purpose? That sux. My guess is that my old etrex is not compatible with the new program stuff that is out now.

Hey Wisz?

Did You Garner Yourself a TressPassing Ticket?

An Ass Whoopin from a Land Owner?

Let's here the Story?

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

The only ticket I got was a speeding ticket heading thru the jacked up back roads outside of Yerington. I get the feeling that Nevada residents don't want to drive faster than 45 MPH. I swear....you've hit the jackpot when you find a road that is marked 55 MPH. They clocked me going 62 in a 45...go figure.

I want a GPS with that feature just so I can't be out in the field without any issues. We were hunting down near Topaz and realized that we were actually THAT close to the California border by one of the 2 tracks we discovered. Would've been a bad deal if I'd have seen a buck that morning.

I'll post up the pics tomorrow of my sons buck. I got skunked but the trip was more about him anyway.

Steve

I have a garmin two way radio that you put the hunting maps chip in and it's worth every penny, pretty cool to hunt with, must have toy

I asked the same question earlier this year, for the exact same purpose and budget was a big factor too. I ended up with the Garmin Oregon (cabelas sale) and the huntinggpsmaps.com sd card. I takes all of about 10 seconds to insert the card. Everything worked great! Highly recomend it.

Thanks Forkwest- from my limited research, I've found cards that only contain info for up to 4 states....I want all of the western states in one card. Who makes that? Thanks guys.....

Steve

Trimble outdoors has a great app for your smartphone that allows the gps to work when you are out of cell coverage (you download the maps before you leave. Basic topos and satellite images are free.). The app is free, but you pay a subscription for the public/private map overlays. You can buy a year or go month-to-month. It's $30 for a year or $3 per month. Pretty cheap, awesome GPS app. I haven't taken my etrex on a trip for years. Only downside is it burns up phone batteries pretty fast. I have a solar panel and battery pack that let's me recharge from AAA or AA batteries.

Oh, and beside waypoints, you can mark locations with photos or video and relive your trip later.

Good luck!

HAZMAT

www.muddyroad.net

I have to agree with this post by hazmat.
I have spent lots of money on GPS units and topo maps for them, and they are sub par compared to trimble.
It used to be very cheap when it was a Cabelas based program, now it is stand alone and well worth it.
I have a smart phone but also an older Magellen meridian gold, and I use the smart phone a lot more and it syncs to the sats much faster.

Stop Global Whining

>Thanks Forkwest- from my limited research,
>I've found cards that only
>contain info for up to
>4 states....I want all of
>the western states in one
>card. Who makes that? Thanks
>guys.....
>
>Steve
>
>Too many tags= unhappy wife

I have them all. It looks good on paper but not real practical to dump them all on one sd card. You can turn off states you don't use but if they're all on, it takes a while for them to load.
The phone apps like backcountry navigator have better maps because they're raster based, but with no PC interface they're all but worthless for internet scouting, which I do every day.
The next phase in Garmins line is Android OS based gps units. Basically the best of both systems. Not sure how Basecamp will handle them, it's dog slow when I load SAT images in that program.
REI has the 62s for 199 this week. Get a state plat sd card too and go huntin.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom