Gps / spot Gen 3 or Delorme

hounddawgs

Who uses either one of these gps systems? I have been thinking about getting one a buddy of mine had to use his spot on a hunt in Utah a few yrs back I have been reading up on both and both have pros and cons, I am leaning towards the spot Gen 3 though

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-16 AT 06:54AM (MST)[p]I have used a SPOT Gen 3 for a couple of years now and have found it easy to use and it allows me to hunt solo at times and stay in touch with the wife when there is no cell coverage. We also send it with my daughter on her backpacking trips and driving trips where there is no cell coverage. Great peace of mind with the ability to set up different profiles for different users. Can send preset messages to multiple email addresses and cell phones. My only complaint is the annual subscription cost seems high but not terrible for what you get. Last year I even used a SPOT check in notification to find my SPOT! Was checking in up on a mountain and somehow I dropped it out of my pocket when getting my gloves out. I was able to look at my cell notification from where I stopped and see the coordinates and the satellite view on the map exactly where I was. I had been searching the wrong bench and was able to walk right to it. Not familiar with other alternatives on the market.

I use a Delorme Inreach SE for communicating and a Garmin GPS for everything else. The Delorme was one of my best decisions for my family's peace of mind and it works great!

Delmore In Reach hands down there is no comparison.

Got rid of the SPOT, got a Inreach and love it.

The Delorme is far more functional. I can send whatever message I want, whether it's to tell family I'm fine and staying out overnight, tell a hunting buddy where I killed my elk so he can come help, make a plan for someone to pick me up in a different area, etc. Only having preprogrammed messages with the Spot is very limiting, IMO.

If you need help, it allows you to have a text conversation with the rescuers. Big difference between "I'm lost and need help getting back to the trailhead in the morning" vs. "I have a compound fracture of my lower leg and need help immediately."

>The Delorme is far more functional.
>I can send whatever message
>I want, whether it's to
>tell family I'm fine and
>staying out overnight, tell a
>hunting buddy where I killed
>my elk so he can
>come help, make a plan
>for someone to pick me
>up in a different area,
>etc. Only having preprogrammed
>messages with the Spot is
>very limiting, IMO.
>
>If you need help, it allows
>you to have a text
>conversation with the rescuers.
>Big difference between "I'm lost
>and need help getting back
>to the trailhead in the
>morning" vs. "I have a
>compound fracture of my lower
>leg and need help immediately."
>

I agree with this. The DeLorme is for more useful, I have the SE. Spots are pretty lame if you ask me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom