GPS?

I don't know about the high end models, but I have a Rhino 110 (I don't think they make it any more). Excellant GPS. As stated, with the radio built in, its a double bonus. Look at what they really offer. Some get a model and later regret it doesn't have the features they want. Others by top model and end up with features they never use.

>I don't know about the high
>end models, but I have
>a Rhino 110 (I don't
>think they make it any
>more). Excellant GPS. As
>stated, with the radio built
>in, its a double bonus.
> Look at what they
>really offer. Some get a
>model and later regret it
>doesn't have the features they
>want. Others by top model
>and end up with features
>they never use.

Thanx gents.

Yeah its like a cell phone contract; more choices than I can assimilate. Cabella's still sells the lower end Rhinos and I'm trying to get in under $2. But as you say I dont want the 12 foot trailer when I really need the 14 footer.

I have an DeLorme Earthmate PN-20. It came with a sweet map package when I bought mine. The new version has even better features. Mine has been a life saver and hasn't failed me yet!

Garmin Oregon 400t
Has preloaded Topo maps with forest boundaries
For 100.00 you can load and overlay all BLM, state, and school lands

I've been using GPS receivers for about a decade, and I've owned Magellan, Garmin, and Delorme units in that time. For just basic back-country navigation without built-in mapping capabilities, they all make good units.

If you're wanting the latest bells and whistles, don't overlook the Delorme PN series. I think they are the best GPS receivers for back-country use, and I currently use my PN-40 exclusively for that purpose. The PC software is cumbersome, but works well once you figure it out. The feature that sold me on the unit was the ability to display color aerial photos and USGS topo maps, as well as the ability to purchase a one-year subscription to their map library, which allows you to download all the aerials and topos you wish to download.

If you want a GPS receiver for use on the street as well as in the back country, the Delorme falls a bit short and I think Garmin has an edge there. Also, the Delorme units are pretty much limited to use in North America because maps aren't available for other countries.

Regards,
Scott

I don't like my radio and my GPS to be in one unit but I am a Garmin fan. I am still at heart a map and compass guy so I just need a GPS to mark my jumping off point/truck or to mark specifc things I find along the way.

I prefer the Garmin Foretrex 401. It is very small and light and now has the high performance chip set/receiver. It is exactly what I need.

However, if you want a mapping GPS, the Garmin 60csx is my choice.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-09 AT 06:33PM (MST)[p]Thanx gents,

Settled on the mid-range Ledgend HCx from Garmin.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-09 AT 02:42PM (MST)[p]Arrived yesterday. Seems to be all its cracked up to be.

Great choice!! I use the orginal Legend and the wife uses the HCx Legend. During the summer they get used very heavly on wildllnad fires acrossed the US, we also use them for mapping out prescribed burns in the spring & fall. Great feature is to download tracks & waypoints into Google Earth's free program.

Wayne

I use the Garmin 60 CSx. It does everything I need and then some. I've used it now since it came out.

Good luck with your selection. I think most are good now, it just depends on what you want/need.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom