Gray Lodge Deer Hunt

Cahunter805

Long Time Member
Was wondering if any of you have hunted this deer hunt before?? I know it is shotgun only but I have heard there are some BIG blacktails in there? My little bro was looking at applying for the tag and I was telling him he might want to save his points for a better tag. What do you guys think?

Andy- DON'T DO IT!! My Dad and I hunted there about 10 years ago and it was horrible!! It is a bird refuge and there aren't a lot of deer there....at least when we hunted it. We saw one legal buck and as soon as it saw us...he was long gone!! I don't have time to go into it in depth right now but I will send you a pm tonight and tell you about the hunt. Don't waste the points! Others may have a different view, but my experience was not a good one. Later.

Steve

I would not waste the points on that hunt. I have a close friend who is the former game warden who lived on Gray Lodge, and he saw big bucks from time to time, but it is a tough hunt and you're not going to just go out there and find one. Also, I belong to a duck club in the Butte Sink, about a mile northwest of the refuge. While we have some very nice blacktail bucks on our place, they are very tough to hunt and we've never killed a buck out there on the few times we've hunted them. We generally see them by chance, and with the high vegetation and marsh habitat, it's a tough proposition to intentionally get a big blacktail from those marshes.

Also, if he cares about B&C or P&Y, those deer don't count as blacktails (even though they are) as that land is located east of Interstate 5.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom