Gray Wolves No Longer Need Federal Protection, Obama Administration Says

tallbuck1

From the New York Times!!!!

Gray Wolves No Longer Need Federal Protection, Obama Administration Says

Published: June 7, 2013

Gray wolves, whose packs now prowl through hundreds of square miles of the northern Rockies and the forests along the Great Lakes, need no more federal protection to prevent their extinction, the Obama administration announced on Friday.

The Fish and Wildlife Service unveiled a proposal to eliminate the remaining endangered-species restrictions that had anticipated the spread of these existing packs into areas like California and the southern Rockies, where there are few, if any, wolves now.
The only wolf populations to have protection going forward would be Mexican wolves in southern Arizona and New Mexico.
The announcement by Dan Ashe, the director of the Fish and Wildlife Service, marked the imminent end of 50 years of controversial federal efforts to bring back a predator that once roamed the continent, but had been all but exterminated in the United States by the mid-20th century.
?Wolves are recovered and they are now in good hands,? Mr. Ashe told reporters on a conference call. ?States are the most competent people to make the decisions in the future about how many wolves? there should be and ?where wolves can add value to the landscape in the years ahead.?
But environmental groups that focus on biodiversity were quick to criticize the decision, saying that it reflected a parsimonious view of the Endangered Species Act and would hinder the further expansion of the wolves? current range, effectively leaving the species? recovery a work in progress, not an accomplished fact.
Kieran Suckling, the president of the Arizona-based Center for Biological Diversity, said, ?What this is really about is the agency saying: We?re closing the door on the recovery of wolves, new wolf populations in new areas. We?re going to be satisfied with a Northern Rockies population, a Great Lakes population and a southwest population.?
The protections available for wolf populations in the northern Midwest have been largely uncontroversial, as was the removal of these populations from the endangered species list in 2011. But in Montana and Idaho, where wolves were reintroduced a generation ago, they were a magnet for bitter controversy, pitting ranchers and hunters against groups dedicated to making the transplanted populations thrive. The federal protections of these populations were removed by Congress two years ago; the gray wolf was delisted in Wyoming last year.
But until the current proposal was made, federal regulations still protected wolves in areas where they once lived, and to which they might return. If the new rule is adopted, that will no longer be the case

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/08/s...rotection-obama-administration-says.html?_r=0

Tallbuck1

Don't you just love the anti's response on this stuff! They won't be happy until there's a pack in Central Park and then they'll want to protect them there, rather than the kids and pets they'll be snatching up for food, LOL!

>?States are the
>most competent people"

Closed quote. That view right there should be imposed on more political decisions, not just wolves. People in the East should have little to no impact on political/state issues out west.

Glad to see thinks are looking up, definitely exciting!

"Little or no." Absolutely none! Just like i should have no say in how your state does their big game draw, maybe an opinion, but no say.

I like Califelkslayers attitude.
"opinion-yes, vote-no"
The Feds are way too intrusive and pervasive in our lives and they've proven they can't get ANY job done on budget.
Gawd, I wish I could run my business like that!
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom