Grim Reaper broadheads

cammoman33

hello out there. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions on the Grim Reaper's. I have been using rage, but am tired of fixing blades when I pull them out of my quiver, every once in a while one will stay closed, but more often than not, they open. Anyway, drew an archery big bull tag, and was thinking of the Reaper. Bought some practice blades, and they fly great, just wondering about performance on animals. Thanks for the input.

I'm going with grim reaper for my deer and elk hunt this year. They fly awesome. Some people said no for elk but I spoke with a guy who has killed 5 bulls in 3years all with grim reaper and has not had 1 problem and elk all went less than 100yrds. Closest shot 17yrds and longest 57yrds. Elk is his passion and has killed over 25 bulls 11 being 350' or better

First of all I will say that I do have a specific interest in this topic because I am on Grim Reaper's Pro Staff and their sales manager is one of my best friends who I hunt with. Now, having said that, I have personally seen numerous animals killed with Grim Reapers...from mule deer to elk, antelope, moose, black bear to grizzy bear. I believe they have the best engineering and design of any mechanical head on the market. This allows them to fly straight and operate soundly upon impact. They are all that I shoot now.

I will also say that with Grim Reapers (or any blade for that matter) you must make sure that you have assembled them correctly before putting them on your arrow. Most broadhead manufacturers include simple yet very important instructions that should be followed to avoid mishaps. Then, once you have threaded them onto your arrows, give them the "spin test" to ensure that your arrow has no wobble. Sometimes just the way the broadhead is sitting within the arrow insert can give a little wobble to the arrow, negatively effecting arrow flight. This is true for all broadheads, both mechanical and fixed blade. If there is some wobble, take the broadhead out, check it for proper assembly and then try it again (spin test) in the same arrow or another. I have found that this helps erradicate the wobble-issue and allows the broadhead to work that way it is designed too.

With any broadhead, shot placement is the ultimate factor in whether or not a lethal shot is made. More times than not a bad hit on an animal will have bad results....regardless of what broadhead you are shooting.

Bottom line, if you ensure you assemble your broadhead properly and that your arrows have no wobble once the broadhead is screwed into the arrow, I have had and seen phenominal results with the Grim Reaper in all types of big game animals. Good Luck. Kip

As I read this post im wearing my Grim Reaper shirt. Ive been shooting Grim Reapers for about 8 years and love them!! Fly great and open huge holes. For shooting elk I recommend a heavier arrow to make sure you get enough penetration. Anything over 400 grns is great. 450 grns or more is even better. I shoot Easton FMJs that weigh 480 grns tipped with a 100 grn Razortip Grim Reaper. Thats a deadly freight train that blows through every animal ive shot. Good luck on your hunt.

Mathews Z7
Easton FMJ 340
Sure Loc Single pin
TEAM RAMROD

My wife has killed her three deer with the reapers! they fly and perform perfect everytime for her. longest trail was 35 yards, and my 5 year old daughter led the way on the blood.

If I were going to use a mechanical broad head the reaper is the one id use.

I had to laugh when rage had their 100 yard broad head archer shoot and randy ulmers rage took a right turn and ended up in the carpet half way down in the finals. leave it to Tim to glue his blades shut with super glue to go on with the win. lol

Grim Reapers have become my number two choice for mechanicals these days. I am really liking the Nap Killzones. 2 blade 2 inch gash, rearward deploying and no kick out issues to be concerned about. Well over an inch of penetration before the blades come into contact with the hide. So far with some destructive testing I've done on 3/8? plywood at full on and quartering shots I have had no yielding issues with the ferrule or blades. Most importantly no fear of blades opening in flight!

GBA

I shot GR for about 8 years and in that time took 6 deer and 1 elk with them. They are deadly. My brother and friends still shoot them. I recently started shooting the EPEK heads. I have to say I am a big fan. With the EPEK, the blades are completely housed, so there isnt any drag. The reapers, the blades stick out slightly, especially at the tips, and I found they shot 6-8" lower than field tips at 50 yards. The EPEKs shoot just like my field tips at any distance. The newest version they shortened the heads up a bit to have a closer FOC to field tips. This will be my second year hunting with them, I drew a LE archery elk tag, I will post pics of the damage after I put one down.

Sounds good. I drew a LE archery elk tag also, and I have been shooting the reapers, and are flying great, I am still kind of doubtful on mechanicals for elk, just in my head I think. Has anyone tried the GR hades fixed blades. I really think I am sticking with the reapers, but still in the back of my head about shooting a fixed for the larger animals.

I'm going back to the basics and am shooting a muzzy 125 grain three blade. I saw Luckyshot with my own two eyeballs zip a Carbon Flash, tipped with a Muzzy through the chest of an elk and stick 6 inches into a wash one night. We packed it out and when we got back to the truck my Old Man was eating sour cream and onion Pringles, I puked my guts out over the smell. I was sold ever since, on the Muzzy's that is.... It has just taken me 15 years to figure it out and start shooting them.....

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-12 AT 10:20PM (MST)[p]Grim Reaper at 30 yards. Ground blind over bait, spring bear here in Utah. Bear went maybe 60 yards and was stone dead. No death moan, to say the least I was amazed! I have taken deer with the GR, but this was my first bear and they definately do the job. This was a 2012 spring bear, the camera date was messed up.

Before
40eye_brows_bear_pics_2012_020.jpg

After
4996bear_pics_2012_037.jpg

XPB, That's a beautiful bear, and from a ground blind?!? That must have been pretty exciting! Congrats!

GBA

>Sounds good. I drew a
>LE archery elk tag also,
>and I have been shooting
>the reapers, and are flying
>great, I am still kind
>of doubtful on mechanicals for
>elk, just in my head
>I think. Has
>anyone tried the GR hades
>fixed blades. I
>really think I am sticking
>with the reapers, but still
>in the back of my
>head about shooting a fixed
>for the larger animals.

Cammoman,
I have shot the GR Hades since they came out, I've killed four bull elk, and three deer, and two antelope with them, watched them all go down inside 50 yards. I shoot (practice) out to 80 yards with them and they fly great. They do however get messed up if you hit bone, I had to re-build three due to damaged tips and blades, but they did their job. I tried the mechanicals once on my first archery antelope, and only succeeded in zipping his side open on a sharp quartering away shot, when the arrow didn't penetrate, not saying it wouldn't have happened with a fixed blade, but it hasn't happened yet. Yes I did recover the antelope, shot him with a fixed blade hades, he went down inside 20 yards.

Jbo

Grim Reapers are some of the toughest broadheads out there. I have taken several animals with them and have been pleased with their performance. I have switched over to EPEK's the last couple of years for the accuracy but that being said I never really had a problem with the accuracy of the GR's. I think it was the drag sound when I shot them that made me question. I did shoot a buck a couple years back with a GR that punched right through the shoulder blade and it made it to the opposite shoulder. Every blade was still completely intact trashed the vitals. It went 15 yards.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom