grim reaper

broadfork

I was at an archery shop last week, and they had a video for free. I like free, so I grabbed one. It was a grim reaper broadhead myth buster test.

The grim reaper beat out every broadhead they put it against. I was skeptical about it's ability in BIG game, but they shot it through a steel drum and it penetrated both sides. They did lost of other tests too. I think I'm sold

What do you guys think of them?

I have purchased and performed tests with a variety of mechanical broadheads. All of my tests were performed with plywood on steep angles, 50 gallon steel drums, etc. Based on those tests and my experience with Elk and Mule deer, the Grim Reaper is the only broadhead I'll shoot. The myth buster dvd you're talking about further validated my thinking. They group like field points at any range, open on paper thin targets yet hold together going through steel drums. I could go on and on but the bottom line is, you can't go wrong with such a bomber broadhead. I like the idea behind the epek but I don't see enough in that broadhead to warrant a switch from the Grim Reaper.

a friend of mine told me on his antelope ( that he shot 3 times) the blades broke off or did not open up.

Let me guess.....the antelope died though, right? I hunt with a guy that has shot over 30 big game animals with his bow using Grim Reaper Broadheads: every single animal has died. Now I will be the first to say that shot placement is vital with any broadhead and my friend has made good clean hits on all of these animals. Bottom line, he did his job and the broadhead did it's job. It doesnt matter if you are shooting fixed blade or mechanical....if you hit an animal bad, hit the shoulder bone or on a steep angle, etc. bad stuff can and may happen. But IMO, the Grim Reaper is a solid head. I have hit four mule deer with them, two of which were questionable hits and all four animals died with one shot.

I'll try to post a pic of a grim reaper head my buddy shot into the shoulder of an elk--bad shot placement, the reaper bent at a severe angel and penetrated about 1 1/2 inches, bounced out. Bull walked away buggling. Lucky shot hit it--it's all about placement, however, i can't help but think that my snuffer SS would have blown through the shoulder and still killed that elk. Just my .02 and experience. I have another fried who killed two does with the reaper heads and it was devastating--just one more thing that could go wrong in my opinion, though.

bldrbuck...you say that you think that your Snuffer would have blown through the shoulder.

Why would that be? Grim Reapers are tough little mothas...more durable than any other broadhead I've shot. I've had a few bent blades after shooting critters, but the ferrule is super-tough.

I would guess that if that shoulder blade stopped a Reaper like that it would have stopped anything.

I'm not trying to cause a fight, just interested in exactly what would cause a Snuffer to blow through and something else to stop dead. :)

Well how about simple mechanics and loss of energy due to the "over the top" deployment of the blades? How about blades that are thin and attached at one point and do not complete the one of the strongest geometric shapes--the triangle? The snuffer is solid steel and doesn't lose energy. I'd have to try it of course to prove it--shooting into a shoulder of an elk--who'd do that on purpose? The reaper is a fine head don't get me wrong. It's not the perfect shot that counts--all heads will kill then, it's the shots that are just a little off that need that perfect head to make them work. Not saying the snuffer SS is the perfect head, however, it's pretty darn good. Not trying to start a fight, but i'll have to post a pic now!

Hey bldr...I believe you!! I absolutely believe the shoulder stopped the arrow.

Here is my good-spritied rebuttal to your theory:

1. "How about loss of energy due to over-the-top deployment of blades?"

Well, I don't disagree. An over-the-top broadhead probably wastes a little energy. But you said in this instance it penetrated an inch and a half...so this argument holds no water. The blades didn't even get into the animal. The energy loss happens when the blades are pushed open as they encounter flesh, etc. This didn't even penetrate deep enough for that to happen.

Not only that, but the amount of energy lost is so small that if that small amount of loss would have caused it not to penetrate I don't think he ever had enough to punch through with any head.

2. "How about the blades are thin and connect at one point..."

Again, doesn't sound like the blades even made it to the bone. Tip didn't get through if it only penetrated an inch, so it wasn't a blade issue. And yes, your snuffer is cut-on-contact. But you don't cut through bone...you smash through it.

I completely agree that with you about any broadhead doing the trick with a perfect shot. I also agree that you should a broadhead that is forgiving on the less than perfect shot. That's why I shoot Grim Reapers...anything less than perfect, I like a big, nasty hole. A little back, forward, low, high, etc...I'll take a big hole with lots of blood. If I miss bad enough and in just the wrong spot to square the shoulder on the joint...well, I'm not getting thru...Snuffer or Grim Reaper!!

Remember...we're friends here. :)

And on second thouht...let's see that picture! Ha, ha!

One more thing...I'm definitely not nieve or stubborn enough to believe that Grim Reaper is the only quality head on the market...there are more than plenty for sure!

Well i've tried twice now to put the pic on there but it must be too of a file or something cause i get an error message--anyone know how to resize it? I know we're all friends here and just sharing some fun banter--i'm cool with that. Like I said, the reaper's aren't all bad...As soon as I get this thing resized i'll put it on here-i've got the pic now, just not the know how on how to get it on here. To be continued....

>
>To be continued....

Can't wait!! :)

Now saddleman...as far as blades not opening...I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but if a Grim Reaper is put together correctly I just don't see how the blades couldn't open. They are held closed with very light spring tension, very light. The open so easily and with so little pressure, I just don't see how they could hit anything and not come open.

Get a hold of one and play with it...you'll see exactly what I mean. Of course like I said, it has to be put toghether correctly, which isn't difficult. Little metal o-ring slides on above the threads BEFORE the spring. Then the spring, then the cup over the top (lined up with the blades) and onto the arrow. Good to go...and I really just CANNOT see how they would ever not open.

Some guys find the head after it's been shot, whether through and animal, into an animal and worked its way out, etc and see the blades are closed. They assume because they're closed now they never opened, which is false. The blades close again as momentum stops the arrow, i.e it slows considerably as it exits the animal or they close when it hits the ground. You can take a look and the cup and see marks in it where the blades slammed back...a tell-tale sign the broadhead opened.

I'm all for good-spirited debate about any broadhead, etc., but to argue that Grim Reapers won't come open is a tough one for me to swallow. I just don't see how it couldn't happen.

Like I said, get a hold of one and play with it for 10 seconds. You'll agree.

49c3c0e64875dc0c.jpg

here is the pic--finally figured it out--I hope.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-09 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]backin-

I was not pushing one way or the other, note the comment bout big bloody holes. I was simply stating what I have heard from very experienced hunters, of whom I trust. And actually they have said both good and bad, just like any other BH out there.

I was given a pack from the owner of Grim Reaper a while back, he wanted me try them out. So I did. Personally, I was not impressed with them. They flew well, but they were not for me.
I also didn't like to have to have an instruction sheet and little parts,(o rings and springs) to put my BH together. I have never shot them into a live animal or anything other than my 3D target, so as far as blades not opening, I'm not sure, but the blades fell off as I pulled them out of my target! I had my buddy check the way I put them together and shot another one, and the blades fell off again! Now let me say, I'm not a rocket scientist by any means, but my friend and I together are dang close to being as smart as a really dumb rocket scientist, so I'm pretty sure they were put together correctly.

The pic of the ferrel tells me everything I need to know about how tough they really are.

To each their own, I'm a solid fixed blade fan myself. Always will be.

Now remember this head hit the shoulder blade of an elk--and my guess is that it hit right on the spine of the scapula its self--how else would it have bent so badly--unless, just maybe, the body material of the broahead doesn't have much structural integrity to begin with--hmmmm, just more fuel for the fire...

I witnessed this shot from about 30 yards (my cow call actually stopped the bull). My buddy was so pumped about the shot claiming to have "nailed him right behind the shoulder." I told him that it didn't look so good from my view point and sure enough, it didn't. He was very disappointed as it would have been his first archery bull. I just don't think i'd trust a head that shows this kind of performance--for elk anyway.

Man oh man...that broadhead took a beating alright!! I didn't doubt it though, an elk shoulder blade, especially right at the ball of the joint, is a stout piece of material! I'll bet your Snuffer's point would have curled over like a pretty piece of ribbon on a Christmas gift though!! Ha, ha...jokes, jokes! :)

Saddleman...ALL 3 of the blades fell off two seperate times?! That's crazy, how were they ever staying in if all 3 fell off? I guess the ring that holds the blades must have rotated off the notch that holds it, completely around 360 degrees and out of the holding hole for each blade. Twice! Now that's some bad luck!! ;-)

Well, like I said before it's not like I don't know there are plenty of good broadheads out there, and that's a good thing!

I guess since we've got a negative picture of a Reaper I better post up what I like about 'em...devastation!!! Ha, ha!

I wish I would have taken a picture of the Black Bear elbow joint and relating broadhead after it was smashed to bits upon exit...but alas, I did not. :-( These pics will have to suffice...

So now Saddleman...you've got another picture to base "everything you need to know about them." ;-)

Thanks for the debate fellas!!! Goood Hunting!!

10-20-08032.jpg

10-20-08006.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-09 AT 11:21AM (MST)[p]I'm a huge fan of the EPEK. Best flying head out there. All three blades MUST open at the same time, and they are tough as nails! They have a bunch of youtube clips showing them in action on several different critters, barrels, plywood, and so on. I also have some of their video clips on my website. Check them out, there isn't a better designed/built head out there.

PRO

www.oddiction.com

Hey Pro...I agree, the design of the EPEK heads is intriguing. I know all those boys, all good local guys. I think with the right exposure the EPEK head could do relatively well in what is already a very saturated broadhead market.

My questions on the EPEK would be:

The ferrule is REAL long...it's also made of aluminum if I'm not mistaken. The point is aluminum as well I believe, as it (point and ferrule) are one solid piece. As we can see from the picture above the ferrule needs to be strong, and the length and material of it would concern me a little. I could see it becoming bent easily, especially during extended practice as is mentioned as being a selling point for EPEK. (Practice with the same head you shoot at game.)

Of course, I have no personal experience, so this is all complete speculation on my point. However...almost nobody does, which brings me to my next concern.

The EPEK boys have worked very hard on these heads and I know their limited testing has shown good results, but the head is still brand new, and more than likely will have some kinks to work out as time progresses. Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing, not at all...all new products need to start somewhere and I give props to EPEK for all thier hard work. For me though, just for me...I like something that has been battle proven. :)

Kudos to the EPEK team though...I think they will do well.

Greg is a perfectionist and as been working on this head for 2+ years before putting it on the market. They have shot thousands of heads into every hard surface they can find, with great success in comparison with other expandables and fixed heads. As an outfitter I have had the policy of no mechanicals for my archery elk hunting clients. Not only will I allow them to use EPEK'S, I will use them myself on elk. Check out their performance on the bison with a 63# bow.

You talk about being battle proven, but I have seen way too many poor performances from Grim Reapers and Rages.

PRO

www.oddiction.com

That is a lot of blood my friend! Nice bow kill as well!
Like I said, good and bad.
As for my experience with the blades falling off, I know what happened, I was there. But, maybe I got a bum batch, maybe they were not put together right, who knows?

Pro...I'm glad you like the EPEK head, I hope you like it just as much after you try them. Good design, I'm sure Greg has done a fabulous job. If they require no tweaking and no improvement from now until the end of time he's the greatest engineer in the world, because pretty much any product worth it's salt undergoes changes for the better as it progresses. I know the design has already been tweaked a couple times previous to release, which is just now happening. The first "to market" model is rarely, if ever, the best the company can ever do. :)

I don't think Grim Reapers are some kind of holy grail (I'm not that dumb...) but I am a fan. I'm not a fan of Rage. Both heads are much more proven (if that's the word you want to use) than the EPEK, and yes, they too still can show poor performance in one situation or another from time to time. ;-)

I'm sure they'll (EPEK) do a number on your elk!

Saddleman...thanks dude, that little buck was definitely bleeding. I have heard that fixed heads make animals bleed too though! ;-)

That video was mostly shot down here at the gold Tip plant, and having seen some of the tests and personally used them- I must say they definately do the trick. I have never had a flight problem or any issues with them not opening.
I can't really give any feedback on the Epek head until I try them, BUT I do know Greg very well and his gear is always top-notch!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-09 AT 01:08AM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/49e6d5e33f275f2b.jpg

This picture is one of 6 animals I shot last year with the Grim Reaper head. This is an entrance hole to demonstrate how the blades open before entering the animal. I have even checked the hides on the entrance wound and there have always been 3 very distinct open blades cutting through the hide before entering the animal. Shot placement is obviously vital and any blade will bend or break when shot into the ball on an elk shoulder bone. If accuracy is the most important element of a broadhead then this broadhead is tough to beat. Very easy to tune and flies great even at longer yardages. Several great heads out there right now but this head is definetly one of them and my personal choice in the feild. If you are thinking about buying them you can't go wrong.

http://www.basinarcheryshop.com/archery-broadheads

The Reaper is an excellent head. I have shot them with great success and was impressed with the devastation they can cause. Fly great too. Having said that, Shot a Javelina a few years back, strong quartering away, complete pass through, and the broadhead failed to open. He was hurt, but not bleeding much. I retrieved the arrow, circled around in front of the little stinker and pinwheeled him again (with the same arrow). This time it functioned perfectly, cutting his heart darn near in two.
Skinning the critter confirmed that the broadhead failed to open. Never had any problems before that.
Cant get past it in my head though... shoot Rage broadheads now.
Not saying one is better than the other. I was perfectly happy with the Reaper until that one malfunction on an animal. Cant have that. I'll go back to fixed blades if I dont have COMPLETE confidence in my broadhed. If I ever have a problem with the Rage, I'll drop it like a hot rock as well.

------------------------------------------------------
"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

I seen what both heads can do close up--devastating for sure. Have you had any problems with the rage heads opening early, or catching and opening on grass, twigs, etc. when stalking?

Some of the best hunters I know swear by them; some of the best hunters I know refuse to use them.

What's your take?

Bldrbuck,
I dont know if that last question was for me, but I'll answer it.
I havent had any more problems with the rage opening up on twigs, etc. than any other mechanical. I suppose the design of the keeper (rubber ring) could make it more prone to open easier if snagged on brush...but I havent personally had any problem with it. I have never had one open up in flight either. The only issue I have had with them is opening up when inserted into a foam quiver pad. The Rage is much more difficult to insert keeping the blades closed than the Reaper was.
I have solved this problem, however, by switching to the Octane quiver with the magnetic hood.
I wouldnt fork over the cash for the Octane quiver just to shoot Rage broadheads, but I really like the design of the Octane quiver for ALL broadheads-- mechanical or fixed blade.
As has been said, they are both great broadheads...shoot the one you have the most confidence in.

Hope this helps.
------------------------------------------------------
"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

best there is on everything
you won't be disapointed

live life one mule deer at a time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom