Griz outside Libby?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I will be outside Libby & Troy MT in late Oct. & early Nov. Highest point is just over 6,000 feet. Within 5 miles of highway 2. I have hunted area with LOT'S of griz in the past few years. I just want to know what to expect.

I have been around griz many times and had some really close calls. I am more worried about bullet selection. I want to hunt with a bullet that mushrooms but that will not work stopping a griz.

I will be outside Libby & Troy MT in late Oct. & early Nov. Highest point is just over 6,000 feet. Within 5 miles of highway 2. I have hunted area with LOT'S of griz in the past few years. I just want to know what to expect.

I have been around griz many times and had some really close calls. I am more worried about bullet selection. I want to hunt with a bullet that mushrooms but that will not work stopping a griz.
Suicide by grizz? Is that what you are seeking?

I would trust a nosler partion a lot more than a cor lokt on a charging griz - all bone. I know they can be anywhere I am just asking the chances of a bad encounter there at that location and time of year. Places I hunted recently in WY had a LOT of griz, I saw them pretty much every day and several different trips. I am sure it is not like that, but also not 0 so trying to gauge. I saw them in alfalfa fields a LOT, most poop had alfalfa in it one place, even miles from the fields.

12 gauge with slugs.
Or if your big game hunting - you might want to use the .338 as a minimum caliber loaded with heavy as you can handle rounds.

Good grief, if I were that paranoid I'd sell all my hunting stuff and buy golf clubs. I hunted sheep in Wyoming for 26 days with a 7-08, saw a good number of grizzlies. Didn't spend one night in a truck.

I'm lucky to be alive to type this.

I’m just plan lucky to be alive and thankful I can hunt elk, regardless of not doing it in grizzly country. Almost bit it on a quad in CO this year, just plan lucky I didn’t get squashed.

I don’t need surviving in grizz country to appreciate life.?

I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm confused. You stated you already have hunted areas with,"lots of girz". What bullets did you have at that time? Did they not work all those other times? Did you not feel comfortable with your cartridge/bullet selection the other times or what am I missing? Don't take it wrong I'm genuinely trying to figure out if the prospect of running into a grizzly makes you nervous, or if you are just asking what others in grizzly country load up with.

As far as what to expect..... I'd say expect to see a grizzly and be prepared for that. If I hunt where I may encounter a grizzly, I bring bear spray and a rifle with one of the premium bullets out there. I prefer barnes or nosler partitions. Chances of getting in a confrontation with a grizzly are slim, but I'm a wimp so I would just be cautious, be prepared and enjoy your hunt.

I used a nosler just in case in the past. I am not worried about it. I am decided to use my tipped cor lokt, which is a lot better for what I am hunting, but not good for stopping an angry bear. It shoots flatter and expands better. Where I was last year I saw them pretty much daily. I do not plan to carry bear spray. I ran into a sow with 2 cubs bowhunting once. Walking right down the trail at me, miles into rough country, alone. She took her cubs and left but I was feeling a little undergunned. That was not even my closest call.

I am debating bear spray. Several people have been unable to get their rifle on their shoulder while being attacked, but were able to get bear spray off hip holster.

Don the good thing is the grizzlies fill up on archery hunters so you might be ok. Just hope you don’t encounter a sow. To your question of bear spray or no bear spray you should think about bear spray doesn’t need to hit the brain and can be a defensive tool in conjunction with a side arm or rifle. Keep it on your belt not you pack waist belt.

My MT sheep. Unit 100 has the smallest sheep in the state (except unlimited units). This was the top end so I was happy. After a week I found him right before dark. I guessed him to be as good as the unit has to offer. I was watching him and 2 ewes until dark. 15 minutes before dark the 3 white dots turned into one brighter white dot with orange highlights. My binos confirmed a mountain lion sitting looking downhill where I last saw them. I did not find them again before dark. That was a long night. Found him again the next morning. Took half the day to get close and then I spent 3-1/2 hours 175 yards away waiting for the perfect shot.

168 and 8.5 years old.
Mt sheep3.jpeg
Mt sheep2.jpeg
Mt sheep1.jpeg

My MT sheep. Unit 100 has the smallest sheep in the state (except unlimited units). This was the top end so I was happy. After a week I found him right before dark. I guessed him to be as good as the unit has to offer. I was watching him and 2 ewes until dark. 15 minutes before dark the 3 white dots turned into one brighter white dot with orange highlights. My binos confirmed a mountain lion sitting looking downhill where I last saw them. I did not find them again before dark. That was a long night. Found him again the next morning. Took half the day to get close and then I spent 3-1/2 hours 175 yards away waiting for the perfect shot.

168 and 8.5 years old. View attachment 127915View attachment 127916View attachment 127917
The old bridge at Kootenai Falls. Been there many times but not lucky enough to be carrying a sheep tag!!

Congrats on a great ram. I doubt you had any encounters with grizz where you killed your ram.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom